Hunting Season Upon us. Where to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hunting Season Upon us. Where to ride?

Well its hunting Season again.
    Anyone know of any trails to ride that are closed to hunting? Most everything around here I can only ride on Sundays except for Lancaster County Park and the trails there are kinda lame.

Also does anyone know if there are any State Parks with camping in Pa that have riding trail areas closed to hunting on more than just Sundays. I would like to get another MB Camping trip in before the end of the year in the next couple weeks ?

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm I believe Sundays are your only option at this point........

Best to stay out of the woods other than Sundays come this time of year. The hunters don't bother us the rest of the year. I like to give them their time too.

Respect Your Trails
    I'm pretty sure French Creek has areas that are no hunting where there are trails. Plus they have camping.

I know the Wiss is no hunting, as well as Valley Forge /Bellmont, so those are a few more options.

Quote Originally Posted by M_Saint
    Well its hunting Season again.
    Anyone know of any trails to ride that are closed to hunting? Most everything around here I can only ride on Sundays except for Lancaster County Park and the trails there are kinda lame.

Also does anyone know if there are any State Parks with camping in Pa that have riding trail areas closed to hunting on more than just Sundays. I would like to get another MB Camping trip in before the end of the year in the next couple weeks ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I found a few rails to trails to ride durring hunting season. One up in Etown and a real nice one over in York that runs the whole way to Ashland Maryland. I will just ride them when I want to do a day ride during hunting season. I found out that the trails up at Pinchot state park are also in no hunting areas so I will prolly camp up there. That is if they arent calling for rain.

Rat Fink
    In York County, Rocky Ridge and William Kain (Lake Redman & Lake Williams) parks are archery only right now. Spring Valley does allow muzzle loaders and shotguns but I'm not sure if that's in season right now anyway and I understand Kain closes for a few days for all use but muzzle loader and shotgun hunting.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Buy a hunting license, then ride anywhere you want!!!! Make a deal with the local hunters in your area to flush out turkeys and deer. They will love you for it!!!

Jump higher!

LC

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i was up in french creek last saturday and apparently you can bow hunt allover. we saw three groups of hunters two over on the shed road red/white side. one group on the green trail on the other side of the park.

that said there was about 20 hikers and none of them looked scared... till the seasons over i'll be limiting my riding there to sundays though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    M_ Saint- Where's this trail in E-town? my lil' bro has soccer games down there and wouldn't mind multi-tasking within my travels. Thanks.

On a hunting note: Junior squirrel season starts this weekend. I don't fret any season beyond rifle and turkey seasons, but junior and senior seasons (with higher firepower than others) scares me. I'm doning my orange. Archery season is no concern of danger to others. I like to keep a berth though- this group of hunters puts the most diligence and skill into the sport. I'd be cautious on using the excuse "I was just moving deer to you"- could be moving away that monster buck as well. The one they have been sitting for 6 hours to just catch a glimpse of... Not preaching just speaking of being courteous...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    M_ Saint- Where's this trail in E-town? my lil' bro has soccer games down there and wouldn't mind multi-tasking within my travels. Thanks.

On a hunting note: Junior squirrel season starts this weekend. I don't fret any season beyond rifle and turkey seasons, but junior and senior seasons (with higher firepower than others) scares me. I'm doning my orange. Archery season is no concern of danger to others. I like to keep a berth though- this group of hunters puts the most diligence and skill into the sport. I'd be cautious on using the excuse "I was just moving deer to you"- could be moving away that monster buck as well. The one they have been sitting for 6 hours to just catch a glimpse of... Not preaching just speaking of being courteous...
    http://www.railtrails.org/find/totm/archives/02-11.asp

the trail entrance on the etown side is just north of etown off rt 230

Yuh I avoid hunting areas during the season.

Members who have read this thread: 0