Help in Philly with a Yeti 575 project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help in Philly with a Yeti 575 project

So, I recently acquired a 2005 Yeti 575 off CL. I was thinking of tearing the whole thing down and getting it powder coated in some old school Yeti Turquoise/Yellow combo in addition to taking care of a few upgrades. Here is my problem, I'm far from an expert bike mechanic. The obviously easy teardown/rebuild parts aren't the problem, I can handle that stuff. It's the things like the headset, BB, derailleurs that will cause me problems in regards to complete removal and proper re-installation. Just wondering if anyone has the time, tools, knowledge and desire to make a little money to help me out.

Help in Philly with a Yeti 575 project-image-05.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Not sure where you are located in Philly, I'm in Mt. Airy (near Wiss). If you don't find someone close to you, let me know. The components that you are talking about aren't all that difficult, but you just need the proper tools for removal/reinstallation, and knowing thread direction (for pedals/bottom bracket) etc. I can show you how this stuff works too. Once you have a basic fundamental understanding of adjustment (derailluers, brakes, wheel truing, etc.) it all comes down to experience and time having a wrench in your hands...

Let me know, more than happy to help you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Not sure where you are located in Philly, I'm in Mt. Airy (near Wiss). If you don't find someone close to you, let me know. The components that you are talking about aren't all that difficult, but you just need the proper tools for removal/reinstallation, and knowing thread direction (for pedals/bottom bracket) etc. I can show you how this stuff works too. Once you have a basic fundamental understanding of adjustment (derailluers, brakes, wheel truing, etc.) it all comes down to experience and time having a wrench in your hands...

Let me know, more than happy to help you.
    Thanks for the offer. I'm in NE Philly. I'll PM you my info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No sweat, Pm'ed you back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So awesome the willingness to help in the area. I would love to see some of this firs hand to grasp the knowledge myself. I can handle most stuff but am interested in the bottom bracket and head set installation and removal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No worries Strife. Maybe we should have a clinic at my house, lol!

my church is the woods
    I had a Yeti 575 for a while, nice bikes. If you need a spare rear der. hanger, I've got a new one I have no use for anymore....pm me.

i want spring!
    Can I get in on this fun? I work in the NE Philly but I may be taking my bike apart to send my frame back to the company to get either repaired or trade it in.
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So far nothing has been set in stone, but free feel to PM me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    So far nothing has been set in stone, but free feel to PM me.
    Sent you a PM if you're still interested in helping me out. If you can't, no worries.

mtbr member
    So I was never able to get this project off the ground last year. I was thinking of giving it another try this winter. Is anyone interested?

mtbr member
    Do you have anyone who powdercoats? I know a few people who do amazing jobs
    Trek SuperFly 6
    Hardtail 29er, Whip it Like You Stole It

mtbr member
    I was planning on using Liquid Powdercoats in Yardley. They did my BMW wheels a couple of years ago. I'm open to recommendations though, especially if they've done a lot of bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueRadio View Post
    Do you have anyone who powdercoats? I know a few people who do amazing jobs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xios575 View Post
    I was planning on using Liquid Powdercoats in Yardley. They did my BMW wheels a couple of years ago. I'm open to recommendations though, especially if they've done a lot of bikes.
    Liquid is really good. I was actually going to recommend them. If you are up in NE though, check out United Powders. They did some work for me and it came out great
    https://www.facebook.com/UnitedPowders/?fref=ts
    Trek SuperFly 6

mtbr member
    I'm confused.....where are they located exactly? In the shopping center behind the McDonalds? I literally live right there in the houses by Lackman playground.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueRadio View Post
    Liquid is really good. I was actually going to recommend them. If you are up in NE though, check out United Powders. They did some work for me and it came out great
    https://www.facebook.com/UnitedPowders/?fref=ts

mtbr member
    I'm confused.....where are they located exactly? In the shopping center behind the McDonalds? I literally live right there in the houses by Lackman playground.
    Its out of Carlo's Tires. They have a huge shop in the basement that they do the powder coating in. If you go in there, just ask for Arthur or Dylan, they are the 2 guys who do the powdercoating.
    Trek SuperFly 6

banned
    Nov 2008
    Here is my problem, I'm far from an expert bike mechanic. The obviously easy teardown/rebuild parts aren't the problem, I can handle that stuff. It's the things like the headset, BB, derailleurs that will cause me problems in regards to complete removal and proper re-installation. Just wondering if anyone has the time, tools, knowledge and desire to make a little money to help me out.
    All of these install/removal questions you have are covered on YouTube.
    Lots of videos and majority of them are done by a professional bike mechanic.
    Park Tool also has a lot of editorials on installs/repairs.

You're gonna have to buy a few tools, and some you could even make yourself with a little thinking.