heartwood should be renamed hurtwood!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

heartwood should be renamed hurtwood!

heartwood used to be my FAVORITE trails to ride around the pittsburgh area, hands down THE best. i have even referenced heartwood on my all-time favorites, right up there with Moab, various trail around Mt Hood, etc. i have even looked at buying a house in the area but i must say, i went there on sat and it was sad, sad day.

first, the section behind the school with all the log crossings. that section used to be AWESOME, now there are so many crosstrails, sidetrails, its hard to stay on track.

second, another great section that was unbelievable what the section beside the theater. now its just trashed, some tree's have fallen and there is almost no trail there at all (its the one that has the pretty big rock that you can just ride up).

third, the roller coaster-to-down-in-the-valley trail that got closed off last year R.I.P. i miss it.

dont get me wrong, will i still go there to ride? f'yeah! i still love the place.

please keep the "you need to get out more and give back" rants to a minimum. i work 6-7 days/wk, and those times i do ride, i usually stop and perform some impromtu trail work. please dont take this as any kind of personal bashing,,,

thanks!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Roaring Run In Apollo will cure your blues!

Sounds like you like technical riding? If you liked Hartwood, you'll love Roaring Run out in Apollo. It's only about 15-20 minutes from Boyce park and is the best technical riding place around. It also has killer views along the river as well as waterfalls and white water creeks! The real plus is that the Roaring Run Watershed Assc. has a mountain biker on the board of directors and the Assc Prez is pro mountain bike and wants us there! Go check it out or PM and we can set up a ride soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    Sounds like you like technical riding? If you liked Hartwood, you'll love Roaring Run out in Apollo. It's only about 15-20 minutes from Boyce park and is the best technical riding place around. It also has killer views along the river as well as waterfalls and white water creeks! The real plus is that the Roaring Run Watershed Assc. has a mountain biker on the board of directors and the Assc Prez is pro mountain bike and wants us there! Go check it out or PM and we can set up a ride soon.

yeah, i do love technical. have you ever rode a very short (but WELL worth) trail called Birch Loop? Its out but seven springs. i think of it as a 'condensed' laurel mt. what kind of riding it Roaring Run? i'm definitely interested.