harrisburg greenbelt- Mtbr.com
    MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011

harrisburg greenbelt

Just got back from a ride there today. Trails are better than ever. Dry and packed hard. The creator has put in even more work. All trails are clear. Berms are built on multiple trails. More bridges. The place really flows now. Timed it today, 2 hours to ride every trail with very short breaks. The place is heaven for anyone near Harrisburg.

I saw "Mike" carved into a cut tree with a chainsaw, anyone know Mike? He seems to be the creator of this freeride fun park.

Park at the greenbelt parking lot off of derry street and head north on the belt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This week is supposed to be gorgeous. I'm going to try and ride out there from Midtown if I start work late enough one of these days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    This place sounds like a blast. I am always looking for new trails, I just moved to the Hershey area in June. I am from Allentown and was very fortunate to have a lot of trail systems close by.

Hoping to make it out soon, are the trails easy to follow? Also, how do I access them? Feel free to PM thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I live two miles from the Harrisburg Greenbelt. I thought it was just paved trails that go through parks and stuff? Where are there mountain bike trails?!

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Look on google maps, it is the section of the greenbelt between derry st and market st. It is all the woods in the paxtang cemetery area. They are on both sides of the belt in this area. A good marker for first timers is the high tension powerlines that cross in this area. You can get on the bulk of the trails in this area. You can not get lost so just explore. If you see a trail take it.

There are multiple loops and then high and low trails that follow the hills down both sides. It just took me about 2 hours to hit every trail, but you can do just pieces. Bridges, jumps, drops and features. Nice new berms. Just a ton of technical fun so close to home. Any questions PM me. This should answer it all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scsabol View Post
    Look on google maps, it is the section of the greenbelt between derry st and market st. It is all the woods in the paxtang cemetery area. They are on both sides of the belt in this area. A good marker for first timers is the high tension powerlines that cross in this area. You can get on the bulk of the trails in this area. You can not get lost so just explore. If you see a trail take it.

There are multiple loops and then high and low trails that follow the hills down both sides. It just took me about 2 hours to hit every trail, but you can do just pieces. Bridges, jumps, drops and features. Nice new berms. Just a ton of technical fun so close to home. Any questions PM me. This should answer it all.
    Is it legal?

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    I don't want to be the liability holder on this but here is what I can tell you. I have talked to both a Harrisburg police officer and a park and rec worker, both of whom I saw while at the trails. They both told me that there are a lot of trails in those woods. The city owns most all of it in this area, they said don't venture up the powerlines because it turns into private property. There are no trails there anyway and it is clearly posted. Just stay on the good side of the signs and its all legal, every trail there is on city property. The park worker said its all good also. So yes you are safe to ride there and not have issues. I have been there a decent amount in 2 years.

The trails work best ridden in one direction, more flow, if you can see the green and yellow chainwheel markings you are going the right way. So look behind once in a while. You'll figure it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the info, I will have to hit up these trails soon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    just getting into mountain biking and planning on checking this out Saturday AM. If anyone is interested let me know!

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KE View Post
    just getting into mountain biking and planning on checking this out Saturday AM. If anyone is interested let me know!
    Keep in mind that some of these trails have "must hit" features, drops, and bridges. So just keep a good view of what's coming up if you need to stop and walk it.

I would join you but I'll be out on the motocross bike.

mtbr member
    Hit it up last night. Interesting place, the teeter totter is pretty sketch but other than that it's nice. Not a lot of miles (managed about 6 miles) but if you're close to it it's a nice quick ride! I like the tight twisty feel up by the cemetary.

EDIT: Watch out for broken glass...lots of it. Makes me wonder how great of an idea it was to mark the trails with beer bottles Not taking anything away from the experience, whoever made those trails did a lot of work.

mtbr member
    looks like the cat is out of the bag! please respect the trails and do not cut side trails or alter existing lines. these trails are a result of more than 12 years of building and rebuilding. alot of blood ,sweat and beers. f y i -.the broken glass is not from the beer bottles but has been there for many moons.i've never cut a tire on it but if you see some please kick it off the trail. anyway-this area contains 1 3.75 mile loop.not all trail markers are in place at this time.more berms are being built soon to help keep the speed up.oh yeah-----this section is only part of a 15 mile loop.you guys found the peanut butter but not the jelly! another 4 miles of singletrack awaits(all connected by the greenbelt)---head south and remember to be cool to everyone and don't jeopardize the trails!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That is awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Finally the creator rises.

Just rode them last night. Really getting beat in and quick now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I took a voyage out there this afternoon. I didn't do too much as the 6 mile ride from my home in Midtown really took its toll on me. I guess I should've done something a bit easier for my first ride in about 5 months. Absolutely amazing work out there. The berms, the bridges, the jumps. All of it is pretty amazing stuff.

mtbr member
    Ummm....how have I never known about this!!??! Guess I know where I'll be heading tomorrow!

[EDIT] OK, looking at the map, I knew a little bit of it. When I ride the 'belt I always turn right and go across the concrete dam, up the steps then follow the trail to the left until it merges back in. I didn't know there were more trails though...time for some exploring.

There are a couple little trails behind PennDOT...but you can run into some nefarious characters back there as well...

HMMM....what are THESE trails?
    Last edited by borborpa; 03-16-2012 at 06:43 PM.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Borborpa- many more trails, you are correct, simply explore. Both sides too. Go north of the powerlines and then venture to the opposite side.

On your map that is towards the incinerator, there are not trails exactly there since it is private property, but that side of the belt does have more singletrack. Also near the subaru dealer off Paxton in that strip of woods.

mtbr member
    Excellent thanks for the update. It's nice having a closer option.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    This really is blowing up now. Support and respect is going to be key here. Respect the trails, hikers, walkers, and fellow riders. Keep it clean and we can keep this for years to come.

On a side note there seems to be some paintballers that have taken up home in the woods. I have already noticed trash, hoppers, tarps, and trash. Something that needs to be addressed for sure.

I always make a point to say hi and how are you to everyone, lets all follow this and make these trails awesome.

mtbr member
    This really is blowing up now. Support and respect is going to be key here. Respect the trails, hikers, walkers, and fellow riders. Keep it clean and we can keep this for years to come.

On a side note there seems to be some paintballers that have taken up home in the woods. I have already noticed trash, hoppers, tarps, and trash. Something that needs to be addressed for sure.

I always make a point to say hi and how are you to everyone, lets all follow this and make these trails awesome.
    Excellent words. It is always a few people who end up ruining it for everyone else. I plan on being there at 11 tomorrow, if anyone else is interested. I'm in a silver Focus. :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to make friends with the greenbelt people also. I know they do maintenance on that gardening area right at the entrance of these trails on Saturdays. Five Senses Gardens | Capital Area Greenbelt Association

mtbr member
    the paintball guys seem to come and go every year or two-its ok to share the area and i've had to clean up their trash many times.as far as greenbelt people-they are friendly and are aware of the trails but do not participate in maintenance or garbage control-that is up to me,or us to maintain.it has been this way for more than ten years now so please do n ot disturb the status quo as it is a delicate balance.just be friendly and if they see you removing trash they will be very happy.
    there is a group ride planned for next saturday march 24. 11 am meet on city island to ride the full 15 mile loop.hope to meet all newcomers then
    cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Nice meeting you today somedude. Too bad I couldn't stay and ride some more. I'll be down there Saturday though, sounds like a fun time! (That is...unless work has OT)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SOMEDUDE HBG View Post
    the paintball guys seem to come and go every year or two-its ok to share the area and i've had to clean up their trash many times.as far as greenbelt people-they are friendly and are aware of the trails but do not participate in maintenance or garbage control-that is up to me,or us to maintain.it has been this way for more than ten years now so please do n ot disturb the status quo as it is a delicate balance.just be friendly and if they see you removing trash they will be very happy.
    there is a group ride planned for next saturday march 24. 11 am meet on city island to ride the full 15 mile loop.hope to meet all newcomers then
    cheers
    I'm Gonna try to make it there next weekend!

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Somedude- all sounds good. And the shirt design looks awesome. I'm in on one of the shirts.

Note taken on garbage. Any plans for a work group?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm excited about this trail network! Haha. I probably live like a mile outside of Harrisburg. Now I don't have to travel to York!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    I'm excited about this trail network! Haha. I probably live like a mile outside of Harrisburg. Now I don't have to travel to York!
    You should check out Swatara in Lickdale. It sure beats driving to York to ride a trail.

mtbr member
    Yeah Swatara is awesome!! I'm happy to find something closer to me!! Carlisle sucks for (legal) riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    sampled a small section past the bridge on the way out yesterday.

in for next Saturday!

sr1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    very cool !!!! should make it

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You guys meeting at the main parking lot on City Island next Saturday?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    You guys meeting at the main parking lot on City Island next Saturday?
    Yup!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post
    Yup!
    Great! I'll see everyone then at 11 - weather permitting...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Bummed I can't make this Saturday but hope to make it out soon. Would like to hit up the trails with a few peeps who know there way around.

Where do most of you park?

mtbr member

parking

best access is from derry st lot or 19th st lot or cameron st lot

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The weather is not looking too good for Saturday...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    60% showers and 65.....on NOAA. Personally a little rain is not all that bad and depending on the time of day it may not be an issue. Fingers crossed!

mtbr member
    Saturday ride may be postponed til next week!
    Check back on friday
    cheers

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good idea...weather is looking a bit wet.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Or maybe we can shoot for a shorter ride Friday after work? I'd be in for that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    it looks like rain on Friday night now as well......

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Anyone in for a ride tomorrow after work? Myself and 2 others will be there after 5:00 and ride until dark. Weekend is going to be a wash so lets ride tomorrow evening. I'll be parking off of derry st. Big goofy DH bikes that look out of place.

mtbr member
    Anyone in for a ride tomorrow after work? Myself and 2 others will be there after 5:00 and ride until dark. Weekend is going to be a wash so lets ride tomorrow evening. I'll be parking off of derry st. Big goofy DH bikes that look out of place.
    After work for me is 10pm. Have a good ride!

mtbr member
    sorry guys-looks like mother nature is gonna piss on our parade
    lets try again next sat @11 -city island
    hope you all can make it
    cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    whole weekend looks like a wash.....hopefully next week....wait, nope going to NC. well have fun and if anyone is going to get out during the week, post up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm going to try to head out tonight around 5pm as well. I'll head to Derry St. and look for you guys.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kish0000 View Post
    I'm going to try to head out tonight around 5pm as well. I'll head to Derry St. and look for you guys.
    Ride tonight was a good time. Now you can tackle it whenever you have free time.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Anyone have any Pics of this place (before I drive up from Lancaster) to check this place out??

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No pics, but its worth the drive if you like all of the features described on previous posts. Its about an hour and 30 Mins of riding if you take breaks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good riding with you fellas, thanks for the tour

mtbr member
    i seriously doubt you rode the whole loop in 1:30 w/breaks but it sounds like you guys had fun-HBG-MTB will be doing a full trail ride next sat -15 miles-11 am park @city island

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    i seriously doubt you rode the whole loop in 1:30 w/breaks but it sounds like you guys had fun-HBG-MTB will be doing a full trail ride next sat -15 miles-11 am park @city island
    We rode all trails between derry and market. Still a blast. Not much for pavement miles with our DH tires, they burn up quick. I'd make the sat ride with an all mountain.

Trails get better every week.

The section by giant is getting beat in again, nice and tech addition to the loop.

P.s. one bolt on the teeter is busted

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    where off of Derry are you hitting the trail head at.

mtbr member
    please do not discuss trailheads at this time .be @ city island on saturday to learn the route
    thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    weather permitting, I will be there. Might be able to talk a few more into going.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Won't make it. Leaving for CT on Thursday. Back next week.

mtbr member
    teeter fixed

mtbr member
    need 10 posts for private messages

mtbr member
    this is post 10 so i should be able to use private messaging now

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What is everyone riding.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Elad63 View Post
    What is everyone riding.
    Trek Session77, boxxer team forks, hayes trails, halo combat wheels with atomlab hubs.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Does anyone have an IPhone (and can take some pics)??

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I guess I am old school. I ride a Specialized Rockhopper. I always carry my cell so I will take some pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Elad63 View Post
    I guess I am old school. I ride a Specialized Rockhopper. I always carry my cell so I will take some pics.
    who cares as long as you ride!

won't be there this weekend, heading to NC to get in some saddle time!

oz1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    some pics??
    Here's a video from the older sections.

vimeo.com/39241851

Post count is too low to post a proper URL, so add the http : / /

(someone else could properly embed that link if they'd care to)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    here ya go

good looking pup and you guys make that look easy!

KeenBean
    Mar 2012

Rain

Looks like another wash for Saturday. Anyone want to ride Friday evening?

mtbr member
    looks like another soggy saturday
    check back fri for ride update
    WTF?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I know a 2.5 hour loop we can do, if interested. Lots of new single tracks. I'm in for tonight, Friday evening, regardless. Let me know.

mtbr member
    looks like a little rain overnight ending in morning
    anyone interested in learning the loop -city island 11 a.m.
    HBG-MTB trailride is on

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    looks like a little rain overnight ending in morning
    anyone interested in learning the loop -city island 11 a.m.
    HBG-MTB trailride is on
    is it still on for today

mtbr member
    Its on-not much rain-should be good

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Its on-not much rain-should be good
    im in

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    So how was it?

I'm up in cold rainy CT. No riding for me today. Hopefully I'll make the next g-belt ride.

mtbr member
    I'm interested to know too and get out for a check. Rode some stuff a long long time ago on a pass through the belt and just moved back to the area. Sounds like it is much different than then.

Another ride area - Not that you can get there all the time since the place is private property, but next Sat we're putting on a 4 hour team relay at the Oesterling Farm in Marysville. 2 or 4 riders x 4 hours, 15 min laps, all teams handicapped so any team can win. Eggs. Costumes. Kids events. 10K trail run too.

Trails are fun, fast, twisty. Not many rocks, but lots of logs to hop. System was as big as 9 miles last spring, but then we got hit with a tornado, hurricane and that snow and most of system was pretty destroyed. We've brought about 1/2 of it back to life with lots more to do.

We'll be doing some rides there this summer (as usual). Probably every other week. Night of week TBD.

Address is 100 Country Creek Road in Marysville, 17053. Again though, trails are on private property so don't ride unless you know there is an official organized ride happening.

later,
    kuhn

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the information Kuhn! I signed up to race a few weeks ago with my team. Not in the best of shape currently because of my job, but looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    I believe I've helped clear some trails there Kuhn! Zach keeps trying to talk me in to riding...we'll see!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    What happened to the small bridge crossing the swampy area? Looks like it was neatly removed. Replacement or reroute?

I like the berm work on the incinerator side.

mtbr member
    sorry-thats gonna be trenched out to help drainage and eliminate the swampiness-coming soon complete with drainpipe!jump on a little further down near the bridge
    cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    if you ever need help with the trail let me know! I am in Asheville, NC right now, but will be back up after Easter.

mtbr member
    J4KE-asheville is the ****!
    i've ridden in PISGAH a coupla times
    rip it up

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Anyone planning to ride this afternoon or evening? I know there was a ride planned for tonight, but I probably won't make that.

I'm going to try and be out there around 5:00

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The teeter twatter is good to go. Thanks

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Any plans for the older bridge on the lower line? Pretty gnarly shape right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Saturday AM?

mtbr member
    sorry y'all
    i gotta make an unexpected trip to williamsport this sat
    HBG-MTB group trailride will be sat april 21
    city island @11am
    hope you can make it
    cheers

mtbr member
    sorry y'all
    i gotta make an unexpected trip to williamsport this sat
    HBG-MTB group trailride will be sat april 21
    city island @11am
    hope you can make it
    cheers
    I hope to make it soon. Unfortunately this is busy season at work, and we've been working mandatory 10 hour days all week plus Saturdays...so free time is rare. The good news is, it's paying for all the upgrades I've been wanting!!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    scsabol and somedude, thanks for the info. I've lived here my whole life until recently and never knew about this until my brother sent me a link to this thread the other day. we've always rode at Governor Dick and Lambs Gap. Next time I'm in town, I'll def want to check this out. I feel we've always needed more fun, flowing singletrack in the area with nice skinnys, drops and jumps so I'm looking forward to checking this out. thx again for the info.

mtbr member
    I'd like to get to know everyone in this thread and maybe we can all share our places to ride and develop a strong group that could eventually advocate for some more trails with DCNR. The SAMBA group has been pretty successful at this and has partnered with them to build state sanctioned trails. If we had a strong group, I think we could eventually follow their lead. Happy riding!

J

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Welcome to the thread, SOMEDUDE is the gatekeeper of the greenbelt so I'll let him fill you in. Where else do you ride, swatara, michaux?

mtbr member
    I ride Michaux mostly but I'm back on the bike after some time away. I want to ride Swatara and some of the other stuff I've been reading about.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiah View Post
    I ride Michaux mostly but I'm back on the bike after some time away. I want to ride Swatara and some of the other stuff I've been reading about.
    Swatara isn't difficult or tech, but very fun, fast, flows well.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Anyone riding greenbelt soon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Who built the creek jump???!!!! Somedude, is that your work? Its awesome, it finishes off that section very well.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by macen View Post
    Who built the creek jump???!!!! Somedude, is that your work? Its awesome, it finishes off that section very well.
    Yeah it almost finished off my rear wheel and face. Work on the run in some?

Sick jump though. With the two drops and the jump that section is sick.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Did anyone ride yesterday? Group ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Did anyone ride yesterday? Group ride?
    I skipped out, due to the forecast. can't ride this Saturday due to the SPCA dog walk in g-burg. Sunday is open though.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    I rode derry st trails Saturday morning. Motocross this weekend weather permitting.

sr1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    u can ride mx when it is wet, its fun and makes you a better rider

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1 View Post
    u can ride mx when it is wet, its fun and makes you a better rider
    Fun? I've done my share of wet weather riding. Better rider yes, fun no.

Now that we're out of winter, weekends will be split between mx and downhill trips.

With it being light out later, mtb will be weeknights. So having the g-belt close is perfect

mtbr member
    Hey all - newb to the forum. I just recently started riding again after about a 10 year hiatus. I lived in Pittsburgh for many years (20) and the biking there was killer with tons of options. I grew up here and since moving home a few years ago, I have found it hard to find places around here to ride. We used to ride Lambs Gap and that area a lot many years ago, and in fact, I live at the base of Lambs Gap now - and it KILLS me that you cant ride this anymore (whoever mentioned the idea about advocating for more riding areas with the DCNR - I am IN!)

Its good to see that there are some local options rather than running down to York or Pine Grove Furnace/Michaux.

Im hoping to meet some of you along the way and get some riding in.

G

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Welcome Guyute. I'm fairly new on mtbr too and new to pa since 2008.

The Hbg-Mtb trails are an awesome, close option.

I don't know what your into, but check out swatara too, flowy and fast.

Have heard Gretna is awesome, haven't been yet.

mtbr member
    It was me that mentioned advocating. Maybe over a ride at Michaux we can talk about it more.

mtbr member
    I'd love to meet up some weekend (cant be this weekend tho) down at Michaux to be educated on the trails. My buddy and I went down there the other weekend and were a bit overwhelmed with where to go, etc. - add on top of that that I am just getting back into riding, so Im not in the best shape for difficult/hilly rides yet.

Is there anywhere I can go to check out good trail maps of michaux?

mtbr member
    There are maps somewhere but I'm not sure where. I have a general PDF file map but it's not too helpful. I'm getting back into this too and so my condition is less than stellar so I understand. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335401639.983755.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  23.5 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    michaux is about 10 mins from me so hit me up if you guys plan on going up there

mtbr member
    There are maps somewhere but I'm not sure where. I have a general PDF file map but it's not too helpful. I'm getting back into this too and so my condition is less than stellar so I understand. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335401639.983755.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  23.5 KB
    Yeah - thats like the maps I've been looking at. I need things to be stupid simple/clear or I get too confused!

mtbr member
    Absolutely, j4ke. I'm always looking to meet new folk. Especially MTB folk. This weekend is a bit sketchy but most weekends I'm good and many weekdays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Absolutely, j4ke. I'm always looking to meet new folk. Especially MTB folk. This weekend is a bit sketchy but most weekends I'm good and many weekdays.
    actually same here I am going to start a new thread for weekly rides up at Michaux so we don't highjack the greenbelt one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, good idea j4ke, this is starting to turn into a michaux thread. Greenbelts looking good Btw, lots of berms under construction, and a couple of improved rough spots. The lower skinny technical bridge seemed to be improved last week too!

mtbr member
    HEY GUYS-if you are new to MICHAUX let the adventure begin!easily over 100 miles of trail to discover. check GETTYSBURG BICYCLE website and look @MICHAUX RACE SERIES page.maps of race routes available there.MAXIMUS race this weekend in northern MICHAUX-check the map then go out this week and follow the tracks.
    CHEERS

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Somedude. Any updates on the belt? I'll be on the motocross bike tomorrow, but Sunday has mtb potential with nice weather.

mtbr member
    Anyone riding the belt tomorrow? I have a race in Greenbriar Sunday, but looking to get a little time on the bike, and I'll be in the area. Not looking for anything too long, 5-10 miles, just getting the legs going.

Thinking around 1pm.
    Last edited by borborpa; 04-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    I have a Michaux thread for anyone trying to organize rides so we don't hijack the green belt thread.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Just got back from the derry st section. Took the DH out for a burn. Some slick spots. But no muck at all. More berms are in place and trails are getting faster.

Somedude, we have got to do some serious branch thinning and weed killing. I broke back a lot today but still pretty scary. Sight lines are blocked and corners are becoming blind. I'm free for a while tomorrow if you want to work.

The place is completely different with all the growth now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep, its like riding through the rainforest now in some spots. There is a wicked nasty patch of thistle like shrubs by the "door drop" that set my leg on fire. It was an itchy mess of a ride. This was all on the subaru dealership side of the trails though. The rest isn't too terrible. Anyways, if I get a chance, I'm gonna bring the machete and wack some of that sh*! down. Weed killer would help to.

mtbr member
    I posted this at another forum, but you all might be interested in this. Email [email protected] if you are interested. Good start maybe to advocating for our area (i.e. - Lamb's Gap, etc.)

Mountain Bikers of Michaux: Harrisburg Area Trail Advocacy Meeting

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone riding the belt today?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I plan on riding tomorrow

mtbr member
    I was hoping to ride this weekend, but a wicked case of poison is keeping me on the couch. :-(

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi all, anyone plan on riding these tonight? Weather looks decent. I would love to check out the full single track loop here.

mtbr member
    group trailride planned for sat june 30!
    check back the week before-
    CHEERS

mtbr member
    Sweet I don't have a race that weekend! Keep us posted. :-)

mtbr member
    hey big thanks to whoever cleared the downed trees and macheted on both sides of 19th st---
    went out today to clean it up and someone beat me to it!
    did a little more machete work and cleared the 6TH SENSE TRAIL
    weed killer coming soon as we get some hot/humid/dry days
    lets communicate more about trailwork so we dont double up and we can get more done
    cheers!

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Riding tomorrow with 2 buddies. About noonish. If you'll be out PM me and I'll check in the morning. Leave a phone number if you want to meet up.

mtbr member
    rode all trails today(except the newest -FENCE TRAIL).all trails open and ridin good.teeter is missing bolt (still rode it)again will repair this week.will do some weed control this and next week to ensure smooth sailing for HBG-MTB trail ride on the 30th and the rest of the season.
    CHEERS!

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Dude we have to ride so I can see all of your work. 30th I'm not around. Sisters wedding. Maybe before then. I'm here this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    PLEASE READ!!!!
    Okay, so a buddy and myself went exploring on the PENN DOT side of the trails today. We entered what looked like a very heavily traveled single track trail head located in the park parking area behind the P DOT building. The trail was fun for about 50 yds, then began to become very grown in with shrubs and thick brush. The trail then opened up into a small clearing where there were about 6 men "hanging out." Some of the guys were well dressed, some looked homeless, and one was sitting on a log wearing only whitey tighty underwear. They were all very polite, but the situation was weird as hell, so we turned around and headed out the same way we entered. On the way out we passed 2 more guys heading to the clearing. When I arrived at home I did a little research, and found out via 5 different gay websites (very reluctent to view) that this location is a very well known (at least in the gay community) spot to [email protected]#'$ and suck!!! I read one comment about how one guy said he "can hang out there all day and suck." Unless your okay with this kind of stuff I would not venture into those parts of the woods.

mtbr member
    I think that's pretty much been a well known fact for many years. Even as a gay man, it disgusts me. I just ignore and move along.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Damn, I wish I would have been forewarned before stumbling upon that scene.

mtbr member
    AHHHHH!
    i've seen much worse and it is nothing new for that neck o' the woods.
    you ever wonder why you never see cars with bikeracks in that lot?
    skip it and hit up the BUMTRAIL after the LOCHIEL bridge
    CHEERS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Actually, that's the first time I have been in that lot. It all makes perfect sense though! Sweet, I will have to check out that area. I'm still blown away by the amount of trails back there. Just when you think you have ridden them all.....

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Yeah. Never going in those trails behind penndot again. One dude actually stood in the trail and wasn't moving out of the way. Like he thought that's what we were there for.

The whole scene in the parking lot was odd too. Disgusting.

mtbr member
    been that way forever----just ignore it and ride
    anyway--HBG-MTB trail ride this sat 11 am city island
    if you still dont know the loop this is your chance to learn
    15 mile loop sans the new FENCE TRAIL
    cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    woohoo, looking forward to Saturday!.....and the important question....who is heading to ABC afterwards?

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Sisters wedding. Bummer, well you know what I mean. I never get to make these.

Somedude, I got my 26" hardtail AM bike built up now to crush the whole loop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I wont be able to make it either. Gotta go to scsabols sisters wedding. Bummer, well you know what I mean

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by macen View Post
    I wont be able to make it either. Gotta go to scsabols sisters wedding. Bummer, well you know what I mean
    Not sure if I know what you mean

We'll just have to crush some brewskis in CT.

mtbr member
    Hoping to make it Saturday, depends on how long it takes the shop to fix my rear wheel. It came detensioned during my race Sunday...thankfully I was able to finish on it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    actually went to NC for the weekend How was the ride?

mtbr member
    It was a lot of fun!! I was happy to find all the new trail.

I'm very unhappy with one thing though...poison!! I've got it on both legs now. :-(

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    glad to hear it. Heading to Michaux this weekend and hoping to get back in a more normal routine now that the rental unit is cleaned up..

When is the next ride at Harrisburg?

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Trails are clear around the cemetary. Got out and did some work today. Moved downed trees and branches. Moved a little more dirt. Took down a lot of the heavy growth along the trail.

Contact SOMEDUDE as far as rides and times if interested.

PM me if you ride weekday evenings, I make it out some days after work.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Riding the trails this afternoon. Probably around 2:00. Parking near derry st. PM if interested and I'll check before I leave.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It appears that I happened upon this thread about a year too late.

I recently bought a new ride and have been splitting my time between poaching at Pinchot and basic neighborhood stuff around my place in the New Cumberland/Lewisberry area.

Starting to pine for more and better options, yet close enough for weeknight riding, my mind came back to 'parkway'. Having grown up in Penbrook, I fondly remember riding the Parkway trail (mainly the East side of the road/creek) and Giant trails on the west side of the creek, behind the old Giant.

Not looking for any secrets here, but, the best course of action seems to be parking at the Paxtang end and heading in from there. Can anyone tell me how well marked the trails are? What to expect as far as number of people? I may well drive up tonight after work and give it a go.

It does appear that some sort of garage has been built behind the old Giant, perhaps ruining the Giant trails?

I haven't been back there since skating the ramp that was built in the clearing at dead mans curve, 24 years ago! If nothing else, it will be a sentimental journey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If the rain holds off, we're riding there early Sunday. I've been into the trails one time, coming from the Paxtang area, I parked at the Greenbelt parking lot, made a right over the bridge and rode through the playground to the woods. I snaked around in there for a while before I realized my front shock was blown, so I didn't really get any significant time on the trails. From what I did encounter, it was a lot of tight switchbacks and several log hops.

I've got three-four people coming, with skills ranging from beginner to intermediate, but all well conditioned. Is this the best way to continue, or should I look for another trailhead? It seems like in discussion, there are a lot better options. When I did ride, the open areas were really tight with growth as well. Never did see another person on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

harrisburg greenbelt

I was up there today. Parked at the Derry st lot and went up the playground way. I know I didn't see alot because it was way to hot to do alot I exploring, but I did see a few nice trails. I'd like to meet up with someone who could show me around. I'm free weeknights, weekend are usually busy. Also what I say seemed a little run down and grown up. I'd be interested in doing some work there sometime if someone wanted to help / show me around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bump. I rode the trails today and they are in awesome shape.
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL| 2016 Raleigh Merit 3| 2017 Salsa Timberjack 27.5+ GX

Members who have read this thread: 0