Guide 1st thru 7th?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Guide 1st thru 7th?

Going to be in PA January 1st thru 7th maybe sooner and maybe later. I am very flexible will meet anywhere for 40-50 miles more? I'm up for it, trails are always more fun when you know where your going. Let me know if you want to ride.
    Cheers
    Jim

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

What area of PA?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have nothing but time my bike and a truck, I'd be willing to get just about anywhere for an awesome trail ride I've never done, and I've never ridden in PA. I'll be traveling southwest from mass right around new years and was planning on week of riding in the commonwealth.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I would say with the direction your traveling stopping...

... at Moon Lake park(near Wilkes Barre) in the northeast corner of Pa would be a good one day ride then you could decide from there where to hit next.

Would you be traveling down Rt84 to Rt81 to Rt 29, so Google it and lets plan from there, Sunday is the 1st and most usually ride at the park around 11 or 12 meeting at the main gate.

Trails are rocky single/dual track, not too much hill climbing around 400 foot gain.

Welcome aboard Moon Lake Trail Lines... LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was planning on rt84 to rt81, Sunday sounds good, is there any ride Saturday that would be worth arriving a day early for? Also seems like I should be able to camp at Ricketts Glen website says they are open 12 months.

Chilling out
    what's your bike - what kind of riding do you prefer?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I'm planning a New Years eve (Saturday) ride at da mOOn...

...then gotta be home for the Robbie Maddison Red Bull World Record Moto jump!... LOL

So around 11AM should get everyone out for a ride at da mOOn.

Ricketts isn't far at all and we meet at the Main Gate park entrance on Moon Lake Drive.

Head out on Rt 118 turn right onto Rt 29(at Pump and Pantry store) then its a few miles to a tight right turn onto Moon Lake drive. Stay left at the next Y and your there!

Chilling out
    I love Moon, but like to get out for something Different on the weekends.

Weather providing, I'd like to hit up something OOT (I'm in Wilkes-Barre) on Friday and Monday (I have to work Sunday - Stupid people suck). I'm thinking one of those days I may continue my exploration of Roaring Creek trails, plenty to get lost upon there. No idea yet for the other day. Suggestions/requests are open, but note that I'm a weather wuss and won't come out if it's COLD AND WET at the same time (I lived in TX for 10 years and that's my lame excuse).

JJ, you should check out what's listed on Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club | Get Involved Ya’ Bums! on their trail section too, lots of stuff on s/w NY. If it's not wet (?!?) then I know Stewart State Forest is a great XC ride with tons of track - but it can surely hold water. I've heard great things about the Taconic-909 area too but haven't made it there yet. Stewart literally abuts to i84, 909 is a bit off.

I would have suggested Lackawanna SP here near Scranton, but I fear it's fairly wet at this time - maybe a Scranton local can chime in on that one. Moosic Mtn would be good though - lots of rocks and hill slope.

There's a ton of stuff that I really don't know much about down near Reading (Mt Penn. Blue Marsh, Frech Creek SP, others).

Wissahickon in Philly is a great mostly-smoove long ride, google search for a route map from the Ralley in the Valley race.

Killer riding in Weiser SF (out of either Aristes, Natalie, or Lykens PA).

More killer riding in Bald Eagle SF (I usually start near RB Winter SP). Serious climbs, ridge-line stuff, good distance riding!

Yet More Kill You riding in Rothrock SF - contact people at Freeze-Thaw Cycles or Rothrock Outfitters or such for info. Look into the Purple Lizard maps of the area. In fact I'll just say it, plan on an over-nighter down near State College and ride Rothrock one day and Raystown Lake the other.

I hear great things about Michaux SF but it sounds to me like someone from Gettysburg really needs to chime in on that one.

Okay, that's my ramble for now, I should get back to work. :^)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Plenty of riding around the Lehigh Valley area as well- check bikevmb.com for rides going out all week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    post up on phillymtb.com if you want some riding in and around the city of brotherly love.

if you'd hit wissahickon belmont and penny pack you could theoretically get three pretty full days of riding in. 15-20 miles of trail per park???

wissahickon should be pretty easy without a guide. your definitely gonna need help from a local for belmont and pennypack though.

Nickel Havr
    Hey JJ...
    If you get down to the Reading area I can show you around...
    We have Blue Marsh (30mi of XC)
    French Creek (super chunky technical rock gardens)
    Mt. Penn (good DH type runs with jumps)
    Neversink Mountain (lots of climbing on fire roads)

There is also White Clay in DE... Not a far drive from Reading!

Shoot me a PM if you're interested...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the info guys totally awesome,
    Nepmtba do you think you will be at moon both days? Would like to ride and then pick your brain for more info.
    Bear I ride a single speed from new paltz ny so I was planning on riding some of the area to get back to my bikes roots and I have been all over the fat cat website, mostly an xc guy I guess but really the more tech the better, was planning on hitting up state college later in the week seems like there is a campsite open 12 months down there too.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Yes, but Sunday will be limited to noon till 2:30...

...which is plenty of time to Ride da mOOn, as far as other local venues some already mentioned:

Prompton State Park Ol'school singletrack
    Moosic Mt Earl's Preserve Lots o Rock
    Lackawanna SP Great place but can be wet
    Merli Sarnoski Ol'school singletrack
    Mt Top area lots to ride but better with a guide
    7 Tubs Nature Area Rocks and more rocks
    Frances Slocum SP singletrack and roots

You can search MTBR for threads on all of these, and I can fill you in, in person!

Are you definitely camping at Rickets Glen? That would help narrow things down. I could show you around Roaring Creek on 1/7. It's about an hour from Rickets. Located here

Also, if you have the time, would highly recommend Rattling Creek in Lykens, PA. It's mapped well enough to do without a guide.
    Rattling Creek Thread
    Parking

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

JJ:

mOOn ride was super with near 30 riders and we did wait till 11:15 for ya!

Doing the same Sunday 11 AM main gate!

Ride da mOOn
    Happy New Year all