great ride today (3/13)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

great ride today (3/13)

I didn't leave to ride until 1pm or so to let the trails dry (that and i slept late). i started off riding in belmont for about 2 hours, i'm still getting to know the trail system over there and would love to start knowing which trails are called what. the i rode wiss for about 45 minutes around 4pm. there wasn't really any mud in either place, a bit soft here and there, but the new tires don't really bog down too much.

only bad part of the ride happened towards the end of my ride in belmont. i was following another rider (looked like here was on some sorta horst-link or vpp FS) and somehow hit a pedal on a log hop or rock, smashin the spd mount right off of it. no big deal tho, i work in a bike shop (used parts bin ).

too bad its gonna pour rain tonight...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by too40sx
    I didn't leave to ride until 1pm or so to let the trails dry (that and i slept late). i started off riding in belmont for about 2 hours, i'm still getting to know the trail system over there and would love to start knowing which trails are called what. the i rode wiss for about 45 minutes around 4pm. there wasn't really any mud in either place, a bit soft here and there, but the new tires don't really bog down too much.

only bad part of the ride happened towards the end of my ride in belmont. i was following another rider (looked like here was on some sorta horst-link or vpp FS) and somehow hit a pedal on a log hop or rock, smashin the spd mount right off of it. no big deal tho, i work in a bike shop (used parts bin ).

too bad its gonna pour rain tonight...
    sorry but i just don't believe the wiss was dry monday... it rained like 1&1/2" on sunday.

i know i am coming off as captain negative today but i don't think coming on here after riding a muddy wiss and claiming it was great does the trails any good.

you wanna ride the day after a big rain go for it (who am i to stop you)... just don't get on the interent and tell others how good it was. becaue even if you know how to somehow avoid the bad sections others won't and your encouraging the destruction of the trails...

@sshole out...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i'd guess my story sounds unbelievable, but i've never been a fan of riding muddy trails. Where i was wasn't muddy. if it had been i would have rode down to philly and grabbed a bite to eat. i'm not a fan of internet arguements, and i'm not going to harbor resentments on a forum, so thats all i'll say in return.

that aside, its an odd coincedence that you responded max. i figured you'd bee the one that new the names of the trails in belmont.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by too40sx
    i'd guess my story sounds unbelievable, but i've never been a fan of riding muddy trails.

that aside, its an odd coincedence that you responded max. i figured you'd bee the one that new the names of the trails in belmont.
    yeah, sorry i just ride past wises mill trail access semi-daily on my way home and see the huge muddy mess of trail there and then see posts here aout how riding the wiss today was "GREAT"...

maybe give people some pointers as to what you ride and what isn't muddy (i know there are sections that fare much better than others). cause i just can't help but think that some of those morons i see out on days they shouldn't, happen to be there ecause they think muddy trails are "great" cause people on the internet said they rode them...

this is a great resource for us all and i am thankful for you and eveyone who posts but sometimes i just feel like i gotta get up in here and throw out some truth as i see it...

i ain't big on internet arguments either, and i defintiely am not trying to make any enemies. just need to provide some counterpoint.

as for names of trails at belmont, i dunno.. different people have different names i think. i really do love the trail with the cyo sign and the virgin mary though, THAT IS CLASSY!

i am probably headed over thre saturday if your up for it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have often found the trails in the Wiss to dry out a lot faster than people think. Of course, this is generally in the summer/fall but the trails do tend to dry fast. What is always wet, is the forbidden drive.

Feb 2006
    I was gonna say- I took about a mile on Forribidden yesterday and the day before and it was a lot worse than the trails. I think part of the problem is what Max said.. there are parts of wiss that can be ridden pretty quickly after rain while others that cannot.

I guess I just took all the "nicer" parts as did others and thought it was good enough too call great. All things consdiered it was a great day to be out.

Even yesterday I took an hour out and was very happy too it not bad at all... but then again I avoided the parts which are bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    max, i gotta work saturday at 10. i'm gonna try and get out tomorrow to belmont before work and try and learn a bit more about the trail system. i've been loading up on the hours at work since we're still a week out from the other mechanic starting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I have often found the trails in the Wiss to dry out a lot faster than people think. Of course, this is generally in the summer/fall but the trails do tend to dry fast. What is always wet, is the forbidden drive.
    I second that. Parts of the wiss DO dry up pretty quick.

-scoon

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    that wind over the past couple days really helped.

i rode through yesterday and it looks real good!

rip it up folks!

Apr 2005
    [parts] of the wiss do dry up quickly. that said, i still hate to encourage that mentality because the wiss trails are soooooooooooo sensitive. so i guess, if you're going to go the day after a rain [hey i do it] just be aware those trails are very sensitive and please please avoid the muddy spots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by secondseason
    [parts] of the wiss do dry up quickly. that said, i still hate to encourage that mentality because the wiss trails are soooooooooooo sensitive. so i guess, if you're going to go the day after a rain [hey i do it] just be aware those trails are very sensitive and please please avoid the muddy spots.
    Hey there,

I have been going out to the wiss for years and years. Like a good trail user, I am quite careful of the trails when I am out. But I can't help but wonder what you mean by "soooooooooooo sensitive". Have you been other places that are better off than the wiss ? If so how ?

-scoon

Apr 2005
    well. i guess that is a good point. you should follow that rule anywhere. i'm just thinking back to how f'd up the wiss got at the end of the 2004 season. of course that was just mother nature throwing down.

i guess the wiss just sees a lot of traffic and therefore requires a lot of upkeep. so just be smart and buy your permits y'all.

Members who have read this thread: 0