Gravity East Series @ 7 Springs...anyone going?- Mtbr.com
    long standing member

Gravity East Series @ 7 Springs...anyone going?

A buddy and I are considering doing the race this weekend (6/13-14), I was curious if anyone else has registered or is planning on it. As of 6/8/09 there are only 13 riders registered, I can't imagine that the race will go off with that few people. If by Wednesday it looks like the weather will hold out for the weekend then we're in...hopefully there are a bunch more people who are registering late as well.

Got a little bit of info from 7 Springs staffers (and the updated race flier) this past weekend - the trails will be closed to the public, registered racers only and only on designated race course trails (I'm not sure if that's both Saturday and Sunday, I assume so). Cat 1 and Pros will use Upper and Lower EC1 (including the new re-route) and Cats 2 and 3 will use Upper EC1 and 007 (and I assume The Glades and Helen's Woods to finish the run).

I'm not sure where the finish line will be or which bottom of the course jumps will be used.

Spectators are welcome, I'm not sure if the lift will be available for their use to get to the top.

Lift will be open 10-4 Saturday and 8-10am Sunday for practice, closed at 10:30am for course clearing and re-opening at 10:45am. Race starts at 11:00am (prompt). With 13 racers it should be over by 11:15am. Maybe they'll do a best 2 of 3 runs, or something similar...if that's allowed by USA Cycling (probably not).

Check out the online registration for race fees - $35 to 50 depending on Category. A USAC membership is needed, a one day pass is $10.

7 Springs Bike Park

7 Springs Event Info

Online Registration

GES Website

Post up if you're attending or have any more info.
    Last edited by PCinSC; 06-08-2009 at 09:04 AM.

my fun has a hurting
    this is going to be lame. the cat 1 and pro times will all be under 2 minutes...

mtbr member
    I just registered, so you can make it 14 ppl
    Team _________

The Other Dude
    Yup, I will be there...just "riding" the course for my race run though like i did at wisp this past weekend, i still have a few pins in my hand sticking out..dont wanna bend them, lol! After the atmosphere at wisp, i dont wanna miss the race at springs, it was blast!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

The Other Dude
    You will be surprised how fast that list fills up! 170+ riders for the gravity series at wisp, a lot of people register when they get there.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Pennsylvania home brew
    I intended to until I dislocated my shoulder Sunday at Wisp. If I am able to I will be racing. I know the 2 other guys I went to Wisp with intend to ride springs - tally 16.

mtbr member
    Those are just pre-registered riders. Almost everybody will be registering when they get to Springs on Saturday or Sunday.

Pennsylvania home brew
    If you intend to sign up on Sunday you may want to make sure you can. I was told there are no sign ups on Sunday - only on Saturday or done online.

long standing member
    Sounds good guys, I hope this event has a good turnout. I think 7 Springs really needs a shot in the arm and a good showing at the race will probably help with that.

No race day registration according to the 7 Springs website and promo flier. Be there Saturday by 11:00am to register.

The course is going to be very tame relative to other DH courses, but that should favor "faster" riders (rather than good technical riders) and those that can power/pedal through the twisting, undulating terrain. The short course could make for closer, more competitive race times, especially if the different race categories start to fill up.

EC1 course Video - the second half will be a bit different for Cat 1 and Pros and a totally different trail for Cats 2 and 3.

<object width="400" height="267"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3387202&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3387202&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="267"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/3387202">7 Springs EC1 Trail</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1290403">DH Productions LLC</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sucks they closed the rest the mountain. Mrs. Cub doesn't race but would only go if she can ride.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub
    Sucks they closed the rest the mountain. Mrs. Cub doesn't race but would only go if she can ride.
    Agreed. I wanted to drag Mrs. PC along but that's a no go for this weekend. I think the problem is that there are so few trails and they all funnel together at the end. It kind of sucks for the racers too if there is only one run down the mountain, it'd be nice to mix it up a little over Saturday and Sunday's practice sessions. Hopefully they'll have everything open until race time, but the 7 Springs shop guys did say the other trails would be closed off.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sad thing is, I just got a mailer from 7 Springs. Something about introducing 'Seven' the new mascot on the 13th. There's a generic blurb about all the events on the mountain, but no mention of the race, nor even any mention of downhill anything. Seems kind of a slight to the race and anyone interested in DH.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    Sad thing is, I just got a mailer from 7 Springs. Something about introducing 'Seven' the new mascot on the 13th. There's a generic blurb about all the events on the mountain, but no mention of the race, nor even any mention of downhill anything. Seems kind of a slight to the race and anyone interested in DH.
    This type of oversight (and that's likely all it was) is part of the 7 Springs "problem". Although, if this was a mailer to their general audience (I'm on their Bike Park mailing list and I didn't get it) then it probably wouldn't help with race promotion anyway since the general public doesn't have a clue what DH racing is anyway.

I just hope the place is not a madhouse this weekend like their Autumnfest weekends are...and I'm NOT paying for parking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I just hope the place is not a madhouse this weekend like their Autumnfest weekends are...and I'm NOT paying for parking.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the introduction of a 7Springs mascot is not going to generate Autumnfest-sized crowds.

Nice no rass
    Typical 7 Springs.

Their problem is half-assed amenities, poor customer service, lousy food and generally not knowing their customer base. So what's the answer?

A mascot!

Yeah, a mascot will make it all right.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the introduction of a 7Springs mascot is not going to generate Autumnfest-sized crowds.

Good point.

But I have to admit, I can't begin to fathom what draws the Autumnfest crowds either: Crafts? Kettlecorn? Mediocre classic rock cover bands? Thousands of people attend on those weekends and I still have no idea why. Maybe the introduction of a mascot is right up their alley. (Let's hope not).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have never been to 7 springs but was thinking of heading up this weekend... there goes that plan seeing as i wont be able to ride

hopefully their "problem" isnt as bad as i hear it is cause i was hoping on making a few trips this summer... but if everyone who works there is a dick looks like ill have to build more trails around my house

long standing member
    Why not do the race? Race fees came to a little over $50 with a one day USAC license, that includes practice on Saturday from 10am - 4pm, practice on Sunday from 8am - 10am, the race run itself and riding on the trails after the race ends until the lift closes at 6pm. For reference, a one day lift ticket is usually $30.

Quote Originally Posted by 95tacokid
    I have never been to 7 springs but was thinking of heading up this weekend... there goes that plan seeing as i wont be able to ride

hopefully their "problem" isnt as bad as i hear it is cause i was hoping on making a few trips this summer... but if everyone who works there is a dick looks like ill have to build more trails around my house

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Why not do the race? Race fees came to a little over $50 with a one day USAC license, that includes practice on Saturday from 10am - 4pm, practice on Sunday from 8am - 10am, the race run itself and riding on the trails after the race ends until the lift closes at 6pm. For reference, a one day lift ticket is usually $30.
    Thats what i was thinking too ill be there if my wife doesnt work on sun.

mtbr member
    The problem with entering to race just for the sake of riding is, they only have one trail open this weekend. Seven springs gets old by the end of the day, when all the trails are open. Hell I get bored at Diablo by about 2-3pm, not that I'm trying to ride every single trail or anything.
    Team _________

long standing member
    I posed some questions to someone in the know about the race weekend and got a response so here's a bit of an update:
    • Cat 2/3 will use EC1 > 007 > The Glades > Helen's Woods and will finish with the Showtime jumps (big tabletops). IMO that's a good thing because the smaller tabletops on Lowrider are downright treacherous at speed.
    • Spectators can take the lift to the top for a $5 fee.
    • On Sunday when the race ends racers will be able to ride the trails until the lift closes at 6:00pm.
    • There will be a bike check at the adventure center and in the hotel's basement. Free for hotel guests and $5 for all others.

I'm looking forward to it, hopefully there's a good turnout. Well, maybe not too good, that way the race ends early and we can get some more riding in on Sunday.

long standing member
    Pre-registration ended Thursday with 59 people signed up, I'm sure there is going to be a good turnout this weekend. I'm pretty psyched, the biggest class so far is my category (10 racers - that's twice as many as were at the Massanutten and Wisp races): Beginner 30-39...so it'll be good competition to see who is the fastest "slow" old guy.

See you all there. I'll be the NFL nose-tackle look-a-like on a sh1t brown Big Hit, come up and say hello, we can grab a beer on Saturday night or after racing on Sunday.

Oh yeah, just to put it out there: if anyone in my Cat brings in a time that would've won the Sport division they're gonna get a post-race beat down. That goes for you too, Nate.

Producer
    Jul 2007
    Fastest time by Pro Jason Memmelar (Wins it in the corners) 2:10.59 Kick-A$$ event, Great turnout, and Great Resort and Staff

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i agree! nice place, nice staff! the race turned out to be great with a very good turn out!

long standing member

Good times.

I definitely had a blast this weekend. The race was fun, and I achieved my goals of not crashing or getting injured, not coming in last place in my category and consuming copious amounts of beer. My buddy won our division, Cat 3 30-39, which confirmed my pre-race hypothesis that he is fast and I am slow. And he lucked out that his winning time of 2:43 would've put him mid-pack in Cat 2 so he saved himself a beatdown.

Seven Springs did an awesome job with the race IMO, it seemed to run like clockwork. I was impressed how well they kept to the schedule with 175 racers. The staff at the lift and working the race was very friendly, I think they were putting their best foot forward based on previous issues that have been discussed. The prizes and swag for those who podium'd seemed pretty nice, first place got a Maxxis DHF tire, goggles, free 7 Springs lift pass, a couple of T-shirts.

Course was a wee bit muddy on Saturday and there were some slick/rutty sections that developed, but things seem to firm up totally by Sunday. The Cat 2/3 course was a very non-technical one, but that made for some fun, fast runs.

It was my first time staying at the resort, and it was worth the discounted rate of $95 per room. It would not be worth the rack rate of $180 or whatever it is normally. The food was typical overpriced resort food ($14 for a western omelet...really?). There were more than few of us looking for a quick, reasonably priced breakfast on Sunday morning and there really wasn't any to be found. When queried, the main dining room staff said they did not serve breakfast sandwiches, although they did offer eggs, bacon and english muffins they were apparently unable to get the eggs and bacon onto the muffin to make a sandwich. Considering that a side of two scrambled eggs was priced at $4.50 that sandwich probably would've cost $12 or so.

Also, the coffee place around the corner from the main dining room was supposed to open at 7:00am, but it was 7:05am before someone showed up even to start prepping, so they didn't actually open until almost 7:15am. Word to the wise: don't keep hungover downhillers from their morning caffeine fix.

In all a good time, it was awesome to be able to stay at the bottom of the mountain and rotate at will between activities: riding, eating, swimming, riding, drinking beer, racing, etc. If they work on developing the park to include more trails (at least double or triple what they currently have) then it may turn into a cool weekend destination as opposed to the one day (of half day) trip it is worth right now.

"Official" pics can be found here, although not much variety because it looks like most of the pics were taken at the rock/drop/roller section on Upper EC1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Anyone know about all the other photographers at the race? I know I saw at least 3-5.

3 "fiddy" for short
    I definitely had a blast this weekend. The race was fun, and I achieved my goals of not crashing or getting injured, not coming in last place in my category and consuming copious amounts of beer. My buddy won our division, Cat 3 30-39, which confirmed my pre-race hypothesis that he is fast and I am slow. And he lucked out that his winning time of 2:43 would've put him mid-pack in Cat 2 so he saved himself a beatdown.
    Hey there A-hole. I started my training regimen today, so I bet I can shave about 6-7 seconds off of my run. Take that!!

3 "fiddy" for short
    I too had a great time this weekend. The atmosphere was very nice. My hat is off to the crew at 7 Springs for the SEAMLESS event. The only suggestion that I have is that they should announce several time throughout the day that there is going to be an awards ceremony. There were several winners that didn't get to participate since the didn't know what was coming up.

All-in-all I was more than impressed this weekend. The weather couldn't have been better and the good company was a plus.

Thanks guys!!

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    Hey there A-hole. I started my training regimen today, so I bet I can shave about 6-7 seconds off of my run. Take that!!
    Beating me by 25 seconds wasn't enough, huh? You sure are a sore winner.

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone for coming out, it really did go well and you guys seemed to like the course layed out. No major injuries is a huge + as well.

You cat 1 guys destroyed that rock section...

mtbr member
    Yeah, that rock section was pretty smooth.

Members who have read this thread: 0