Governor Dick /Mt. Gretna trail #15 modifications- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Governor Dick /Mt. Gretna trail #15 modifications

This email is directed to the gutless *******s who find it necessary to make bootleg trail modifications. Today's find on trail #15 takes the cake. Some individuals worked very hard at removing large, very large rocks along the trail and from the trail. These were then placed near a large rock and wooden bridge at the Chickies Creek Headwater section. Listen up ass wipes, that is a very sensitive area and rocks obstructing water flow is so frigging stupid it makes me f'ing crazy to think someone would be that stupid!!!!!!!!!! All it would take is one board member or member of the environmental committee to see that and it is obvious what user group has done it.

I really hope some reader out there sees this email and knows who is doing it. Please tell this individual or group of folks that it is not their place to decide what trail features are allowed. My husband and I are head of the Trail Support Committee at GD and we will not allow a few stupid ***** *******s to mess it up for the rest of us. Your rocks will be removed, I will find you and God have mercy on your soul you insufferable swine.

The Duchess

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    I was just on the trail yesterday, but didnt see anything out of place. I'm riding it again today to check this out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hi Todd...we rode GD late afternoon yesterday. We removed some of the rocks which were blocking the water flow. The remaining rocks are very big and require some man power to move and put back into the gaping holes of where they originated. Matt currently has a separated shoulder and getting muddy and wet yesterday didn't sound like fun to me.

Since the inception of trail #15 it has slowly been sanitized....made easier. I do not understand because I thought that riding a technically challenging trail is what people want. If you can't ride a section keep trying and improve your skills or take a hike with your bike. No shame in that...really!!

We have been fairly tolerant of build ups but will remove those which are dangerous or use rotted wood. Re-routes are a no, no. Most often people are lazy or the current trail might slow them down. Too bad it is all part of trail design. Also, GD is not a free ride park, never will be.....never can be!

The bottom line is this.....we are thankful to have this 1,100 acres of private land to ride on. No one other than the trail committee has the right to make modifications. Altering the trail in any way will not be tolerated. Messing with the Chickies Creek headwater section is just plain stupid and claiming ignorance doesn't cut it. Now Matt and I have to waste our time.....again....to remove those rocks. Think before you do something, or better yet just ride your bike and keep your feet on the pedals. I can!!!!!

The Duchess

HopHeads, Unite!
    Take it from me--the Duchess mad is an ugly, ugly thing.

At least it's comforting to know there's no-talent inconsiderate hacks everywhere with mtn bikes.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I concur with the Duchess,I do trail design and maintenance in my area and have a working relationship with the county and city property we ride on.it's a privilege to have these areas and by no means guaranteed.it only take a few irresponsible individuals to jeopardize access.

I herd great things about #15 have yet to ride it but it's on top of my list,the more tech the happier I am.keep up the good work,yes... I know a few ignorant *******s can discourage especially when it's your blood and sweat on the line, it feels personal.but I know the double satisfaction of creating epic singletrack and riding it too is as sweet as it gets.

Do you have any specific ride day's? I'd like to hook up and show me around.

enjoy
    Dane

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Duchess,

I'm going to ride the trail later to see if I can find this alteration. Because it's not cool to block up a creek. The person's making the modification should have known better.

But, pointing the finger at a specific user group isn't a very good idea. And to say GD isn't a freeride park and never will be isn't a good idea either, because it's a matter of semantics... People can interpret the trail as they see it whether they're a "freerider" or a "trail rider"... Doesn't matter who you are. And no matter how you build a trail, someone is probably going to change it.

Trail management is an on going and dynamic process.

Relative to the history of riding Mt. Bikes on GD it seems as though the most damaging aspect of this activity is emotional over reaction by various user groups.

Go for the throat
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Duchess,

I'm going to ride the trail later to see if I can find this alteration. Because it's not cool to block up a creek. The person's making the modification should have known better.

But, pointing the finger at a specific user group isn't a very good idea. And to say GD isn't a freeride park and never will be isn't a good idea either, because it's a matter of semantics... People can interpret the trail as they see it whether they're a "freerider" or a "trail rider"... Doesn't matter who you are. And no matter how you build a trail, someone is probably going to change it.

Trail management is an on going and dynamic process.

Relative to the history of riding Mt. Bikes on GD it seems as though the most damaging aspect of this activity is emotional over reaction by various user groups.
    Very well put. I too hate when people modify well designed trails, especially to make them easier, but it sounds like someone thinks she owns these trails. That's impossible, even if you scratched them out with your bare hands, or even if you paid for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Park at Governor Dick has been named for the late Clarence Schock, a well-known petroleum baron and philanthropist. The park is comprised of 1105 acres of woodland in Mount Gretna, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania and is presently managed by a co-trusteeship of representatives of the Clarence Schock Foundation (3) and the Lebanon County Commissioners (3). This board is charged with the responsibility of operating the park consistent with the Deed of Trust and Support Committees (Environmental and Trails) were established by the Board to assist with this.

No JD, I don't think I own the trails at GD but my husband and I do head the Trails Support Committee. Unfortunately, when someone does something stupid we have to answer to six people and fix the wrong doing. Also, we are locals and can access the trail system in minutes from our home. This is our playground and it would be a shame to lose it. Our goal is for it to remain a multi-use trail system for many folks to come and enjoy. Please do not mistake my passion for a sport I love and the place I get to enjoy it the most. Also, as a SAMBA and IMBA member it is a pleasure and honor to represent a trail system for everyone to come play on.

Hope to see you out there.

Desiree

Go for the throat
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDuchess
    The Park at Governor Dick has been named for the late Clarence Schock, a well-known petroleum baron and philanthropist. The park is comprised of 1105 acres of woodland in Mount Gretna, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania and is presently managed by a co-trusteeship of representatives of the Clarence Schock Foundation (3) and the Lebanon County Commissioners (3). This board is charged with the responsibility of operating the park consistent with the Deed of Trust and Support Committees (Environmental and Trails) were established by the Board to assist with this.

No JD, I don't think I own the trails at GD but my husband and I do head the Trails Support Committee. Unfortunately, when someone does something stupid we have to answer to six people and fix the wrong doing. Also, we are locals and can access the trail system in minutes from our home. This is our playground and it would be a shame to lose it. Our goal is for it to remain a multi-use trail system for many folks to come and enjoy. Please do not mistake my passion for a sport I love and the place I get to enjoy it the most. Also, as a SAMBA and IMBA member it is a pleasure and honor to represent a trail system for everyone to come play on.

Hope to see you out there.

Desiree
    My bad. I confused your passion with arrogance. Really, you guys do a terrific job out there and I support your efforts and understand your frustration.

CC
    Oct 2004
    Years ago trail runners sanitized the Gov Dick trails.......over the course of the year they would remove every rock that was moveable.

Not sure of the scene over there now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I will run you over

Trail 15 has become a little bit of a disappointment. I rode it last year and really had a tough time getting through some of the sections. But I just kept on trying. Riding this year I've noticed I'm able to ride through a lot more than last year problem is, I haven't got that much better at riding and I still s**k at riding and someone is making the trail easier. I don't like it. What's the matter, afraid to get your legs and arms all cut up and bruised. Afraid of a little pain. Worried your bike might get a scratch or a flat tire. If that's the case the rail trail is really close by. Go ride that.

The world is really becoming a bunch of p****ies. If the Duchess wants to take ownership of the trail because of all the work she has put into it. Then let her and you whiney wuss, just shut up and help her and her husband fix the trail.

So if I see you screwing with the trail. I will run you over. I see no use in hiding. I'm not a nice person and pretty much blunt and to the point. The people that originally built the trail do have ownership and you don't. So if you do want ownership - start earning it.

Members who have read this thread: 0