mtbr member

Good trailhead for Wiss ?

Whats a good trailhead for Wiss ? I've started at the baseball fields off Henry but it seems like the flow wasnt great. I heard someone mention Houston Playground and havent tried there yet.

Also do most people go onto the east side of the river between Lincoln and Green Valley Inn ? I also had some issues finding which route to take.

Thanks, maybe I just need to explore more but looking for any tips

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey there,

The Wiss has been my local trails for 20+ years. Lately, I have been entering HERE and riding out from there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    In my opinion the best is starting in the north by parking at the stables next to Chestnut Hill College. From there rise Forbidden past Bells Mill, and start at the Monster and continue through the Meadow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Averbuks View Post
    In my opinion the best is starting in the north by parking at the stables next to Chestnut Hill College. From there rise Forbidden past Bells Mill, and start at the Monster and continue through the Meadow.
    I agree with this starting point, but think we are coming to the park from a different direction than the OP.
    I like the stable area bc it seems safer for my car, and it gives you the bonus rocky trail on the chestnut hill side of the creek before bells mill. Typically stay on that side until the covered bridge, then cross creek and ride up the trail that is a bit upstream from the bridge that takes you to the top of the monster. Ht the rest of the park counter clockwise from there.
    I find the rides that end with a downhill or at least not a longer climb out feel more flowy...maybe look for a place to start your ride down near the creek lpranger so you are not ending with a climb out

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I myself ride there, and vary where I'll start. I usually start by hopping into the trail at that starts in the parking lot at Blue Bell Park so that I can ride from that end of the park either clockwise or counterclockwise. It's also easy to go across Lincoln from there (Rittenhouse town) to hit the trail on the other side of Lincoln too.

The spot Scoon shows on the map is good because you can park there. I sometimes drop in there, but usually ride past that to go to Blue Bell, and end up riding past that spot on the trail. Right now it's pretty quiet there because of the Walnut Bridge/lane work. When that road is open though, it's like a moron's racetrack around that corner. I've seen countless cars cracked up in the corner. Even an ambulance once. Anyway, Scoons spot is at the top of the loose gravel climb (or descent) on the pipeline side.

You can also park at Kitchen's, or at the gate on Mt. Airy, just above the frog pond and the trail re-route.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    I agree with this starting point, but think we are coming to the park from a different direction than the OP.
    I like the stable area bc it seems safer for my car, and it gives you the bonus rocky trail on the chestnut hill side of the creek before bells mill. Typically stay on that side until the covered bridge, then cross creek and ride up the trail that is a bit upstream from the bridge that takes you to the top of the monster. Ht the rest of the park counter clockwise from there.
    I find the rides that end with a downhill or at least not a longer climb out feel more flowy...maybe look for a place to start your ride down near the creek lpranger so you are not ending with a climb out
    I would say for driving in to the Wissahickon the stables are the safest for parking. I am lucky because I am barely a block away and don't need to drive in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^Yeah, that is pretty convenient. Where are you, over by the co-op, or there abouts? I'm on the other side of G-town ave. I like the ride in and out though. Enough hills that I have to work to get there and get home.

Hit me up for a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    ^Yeah, that is pretty convenient. Where are you, over by the co-op, or there abouts? I'm on the other side of G-town ave. I like the ride in and out though. Enough hills that I have to work to get there and get home.

Hit me up for a ride.
    Yes, most definitely. I live in Blue Bell Hill. The entrance I shared is very very close to home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh cool, one of those streets between Wiss ave and Walnut?

I'm thinking about heading over there at some point today. Hoping things have drained/dried pretty well for the most part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Oh cool, one of those streets between Wiss ave and Walnut?

I'm thinking about heading over there at some point today. Hoping things have drained/dried pretty well for the most part.
    Yup. I was out yesterday morning and things were dry on both sides. I usually head out before work ~ 8am and get about an hour in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sounds good, I'll definitely hit it later today then.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much guys, frankly I was able to clear about half of monster last time I was there so I wouldn't mind keeping that midway, or towards the end of my ride so my legs stay a bit more fresh. I've only ridden there twice so it sounds like I really need to spend more time exploring either way. Do most people ride on the east side of the river from Lincoln to Green Valley ? I know I've crossed the bridge near green Valley in the past and I couldn't really get a good starting point to head right (south I guess) from there as I thought that area was hiking only

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lp, when are you next going? I'll show you. Once you find where these trails are it'll be like a slap yourself in the forehead moment.

If you were parked at the Inn, and rode up and across the bridge, you take the wider gravel trail that heads up on the right to start that sides' trail heading back towards Lincoln. The trail that you saw that started at the same spot, but headed down lower is a hiking only trail.

Let me know when you're next rolling, and I'll show you whatever section you are trying to figure out.

mtbr member
    Jochribs that'd be great would love to meet up and be given a little guidance so to speak. the wife is dragging me off to Mexico for the week with the in laws so I won't be back til the 15th 16th 17th or so, not sure if those dates work or not

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No worries, we're always riding.

mtbr member
    Great I'll bump you up close to then, thanks

mtbr member

Scoon clarification

Scoon,

If I see correctly your pin is on east side of river near Hortter ? If this is correct do you turn right (north) and stay along the east side ?

The Wiss has been my local trails for 20+ years. Lately, I have been entering HERE and riding out from there.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, that is how my rides lately have been going.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lp, you're just gonna miss a little bit of trail on that side if you start there. No big deal at all, might be a good thing depending on what float your boat. You'll be starting at the top of a climb you'd need to come up if you started further southeast at Rittenhouse Town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm fairly new to mountain biking but since I live so close to the wiss I'll usually park at the stables by chestnut hill and once in a while Lincoln drive.

But I'm still learning the park and exploring the various sections of singletrack avail at the wiss.

I know one thing for sure that steep hill at bells mill Rd is a wicked one...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It kind of depends on the time you go. If you go on a weekday (regardless of time) or on a weekend before 8 am, probably the best place to park all things considered is at the Inn itself. This allows you to access the trail from any one of four or five areas - you can warm-up with a road climb up Wises Mill Road to hit the trail in either direction about 3/4 of the way up to Henry Ave. (go right to head toward Houston Meadows or left to head toward Lincoln Dr.) Or you can hit the climb opposite the Inn right away or ride along Forbidden a bit in either direction before hitting one of a few different trailheads. Another benefit is that your car is relatively safe in that lot - it's pretty rare there are any break-ins int he actual VG Inn lot. And then you also have the option for a shorter hike from anywhere in the park if you have an unfixable mechanical since the Inn is just about in the middle of Wiss overall. The one downside to this lot is that it's blocked for riders on weekends most of the year after 8 a.m. and it's a PIA to turn around in if there are no spots.

The upper lot above the Inn is probably the worst option, since it's pretty much break-in central for the whole park. Before I'd park there, I'd probably go a bit further up the road and park in the neighborhhood (off Wolcott.) After that, Rittenhouse Town is probably the next worst, and then Bells Mill. Northwestern Ave (the one across from Chestnut Hill College) is a decent place to park, but it is at one extreme of the park, which means if your bike breaks down out near Lincoln Drive, you'd have a maximum hike to get back to your car.

Parking at the Inn is usually the way to go if you can pull it off. It also gives you the option to carry less if you want to do a grand tour because you'll pass near your car at least one time halfway through your ride on a full loop.