good riding in NE PA?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

good riding in NE PA?

I am thinking of taking a vacation around Northeast PA. I am from UT and I don't know diddly about riding there. What's the terrain like? Is that a good part of the state to go MTBing and if not, where is it better? If its good enough, I would drive across the state for it. I am into DH and XC and my wife likes relatively flat rolling loops around lakes. In UT there are a lot of trails that go up and down canyons. Not many trails that follow the contours and don't require huge aerobic capacity. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks,
    Lavaman

Mar 2004
    I'm not sure what you mean by "relatively flat" but you could take your wife for a rails-trail ride near Jim Thorpe.

One of my personal favorites is Blue Marsh. It's not a flat ride, but it wraps a lake and isn't very technical. Although that could be a decent haul for you (1.5-2 hours) depending on where you are staying in the North East. If you want company I could get a group together to take you around the lake.

Jim Thorpe is also the spot to go if you want some of the more challenging rides in PA. I'm not an expert on those so I will leave their description to others.

Where are you staying?

mtbr member

Thorpe is the spot

For what you are looking for Jim Thorpe is your best bet. We have everything from super-technical singletrack and rocky downhills, to 50 miles of rails-to-trails. There are also a bunch of places to stay, from The Inn at Jim Thorpe and various B&B's to camping at Mauch Chunk Lake Park. Checkout http://www.jimthorpe.org/ or email me for suggestions and trail maps.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

May 2004

Rides in NEPA around Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Lavaman:

Our area has 4 Rails to Trails, and the Susquehanna Dike or Flood Prevention system you can ride. It is Paved! There are local trails we ride, but it would be best to hook up with someone who knows their way around as to plan a ride according to your liking.

If you have a time slot I would show you around!

Jim Thorpe is also very nice, as is Blue Marsh!

Enjoy!

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Yeah...if you were more specific w/ NE PA...

Where are you heading? If truely NE PA, I'd rec. World's End State Park.
    I live in SE PA. PLENTY to ride down here.
    But, otherwise...I'd opt for Jim Thorpe PA too!

Give a more specific area and I'm sure there's people out there with good advice!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Jan 2005
    Jim Thorpe looks really cool. I think it would be way cool. How about NW PA? Anything as cool as Jim Thorpe there?

Lavaman

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    NW PA? Potter County. Town of Galeton and a little further west on Rt 6.
    Hey. Does anyone know if the Griz Guides cover the area that I'm speaking of?

I rode the state park near the Potato City Motor Inn on Rt. 6. Great trails. Only problem being that not ENOUGH bikes on it to keep it buff. Just the opposite of everywhere else that I ride. What a problem to have!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    NEPA (around Scranton) is the central location for bikes. Merli, LSP, Prompton, Hubbard... All within 30 minutes of eachother. Jim Thorpe is 1:15 away. As for your DH and FR fix...Plattkill is 1:40 and Diablo is 1:15. Check your PM's. LarryFahn

Members who have read this thread: 0