Good beginner trails in SE PA?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

Good beginner trails in SE PA?

Hi, I've been thinking about starting to bike some trails but I'm fairly new to mountain biking. I gave my bike to a friend about a year ago (I wasn't really using it at the time) and I've been wanting to buy a new, better bike but I'm just not sure I have the skill to ride intermmediate or advanced trails as my experience is limited. I'd hate to spend a ton of money on a bike and have it sit in my apartment. I live in West Chester currently but I'd be willing to travel a little to do some riding.

Any advice or locations for a beginner?

mtbr member
    Core Creek, Bucks County between Langhorne & Newtown. Sunday afternoon 1400 hrs. That's 2:00 pm.

Look here for update: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=171293

Meeting place undeclared right now. If there isn't an update, I'll be @ Duchess Lane parking area @ 2.

No suprises at Core Creek, but a true beginner will appreciate the challenge. One can go as fast or slow as you want. Great fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by le0p
    Any advice or locations for a beginner?
    From your location, it would be natural to want to try Brandywine Creek/DE, Middle Run/DE and Fairhill/MD. These are all good spots with a mix of easy and more challenging trails. Take your time and you will do just fine.

Apr 2006
    Thanks for the replies. Trekmike, I don't have a new bike yet so this Sunday won't work out for me, I'm going to put some time into trying out a few this week so hopefully, I'll have one soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by le0p
    Thanks for the replies. Trekmike, I don't have a new bike yet so this Sunday won't work out for me, I'm going to put some time into trying out a few this week so hopefully, I'll have one soon.
    Add Marsh Creek lake to that list, it is only about 10 minutes away.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...creek_mini.pdf

I would recommend the Chalfont Road access (NW end of the park) to start. (just come N on RT100 to the Eagle Tavern and take Little Conestoga to Chalfont.

Print the map and take it with you or you will likely become confused, and be aware there are trails that don't show on the map.

mtbr member
    Pennypack Park in NE Philadelphia is nice too. Or, the Delaware Canal State Park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    double

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    go down to south campus below the tennis courts and baseball field, follow the trail into the woods, explore, enjoy...

i couldn't think of a better place to hone your skills.

Members who have read this thread: 0