Glen Park- Mtbr.com

Thread: Glen Park

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Glen Park

Passing through the area on a road trip.

I know they host enduro races in the area. On the fence on which bike to bring as the next stop on my road trip is more xc than trail if you will.

How are the Glen Park trails on a hardtail with 120 up front? Or is it truly best to ride on my 160mm trial bike and just lug the extra bike around my next stop?

Thanks in advance for the input!

mtbr member
    It is my opinion that if you want to send it at GP, you'll be a lot happier and more comfortable on the 160 mm bike. Is it worth lugging it around on your next stop? I dont know.
    What's your next stop and which stop are you looking to have more fun on? Are there people on hardtails at GP? Occasionally, but I've never really seen anyone on one hauling. Obviously, a good enough rider could ride a hardtail anywhere-- Lenosky was riding one at mountain creek last weekend because someone stole all of his other bikes in Anaheim-- but that doesnt mean I'd want to. Would I want to be on a hardtail without knowing the trails well? No. I typically ride a 150/150 there quite comfortably.
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

mtbr member
    When will you be passing through? I only ask because if it’s this weekend, just be aware that there’s an ESC race that’s also an EWS qualifier so it will probably be pretty packed and trail availability might be limited or non-existant.
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon

2018 SC V10.6

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    BTW love your handle Shartist. Thanks for the input, decision made.

Gonna bring the big bike to get the most out of Glen Park, then just suffer with the bigger bike on the next ride. May swap my DHRII for a fresh Agressor on the rear wheel, originally was hoping to get another month on the DHRII before swapping, no biggie either way. Will be down in the DC area the following day and the trails I plan to hit are more fast rolling XC type. More concerned with enjoying Glen Park.

I'm passing through next week mid-week, so I should be fine as the events you mention are this weekend if not mistaken.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Yeti View Post
    BTW love your handle Shartist. Thanks for the input, decision made.

Gonna bring the big bike to get the most out of Glen Park, then just suffer with the bigger bike on the next ride. May swap my DHRII for a fresh Agressor on the rear wheel, originally was hoping to get another month on the DHRII before swapping, no biggie either way. Will be down in the DC area the following day and the trails I plan to hit are more fast rolling XC type. More concerned with enjoying Glen Park.

I'm passing through next week mid-week, so I should be fine as the events you mention are this weekend if not mistaken.
    Lol, thanks, I find it amusing as well. I'm Shatriloquist on PB btw.

After the race things may be pretty well marked depending on how much signage they leave up, but to help plan and orient yourself see the map below if you haven't already found it on the esc site. Bottom of the map is top of the hill, the spot marked registration is where I typically park, and the transfer stage is my preferred route to the top.

There are a lot of trails there that are not on the map. This probably doesnt need to be said, but on your first ride through be aware that there are gaps and drops (especially on the other side of big rocks) that may not initially appear as such from the perspective of a rider coming down. This is especially true of trails, marked and unmarked, on on the right side of the map.

The trail marked Stage 5 is amongst my favorites there. Enjoy!

Glen Park-maxxis-esc-enduro-glen-park-2018.jpg
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon

2018 SC V10.6

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Many thanks, look forward to checking the place out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Shartist, thanks again! Really enjoyed the place.

mtbr member
    Happy to help, glad you enjoyed it! Any of the routes down stand out as a favorite?
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon

2018 SC V10.6

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, started with five and then worked my way over to the downhiller's right. Made a bunch of laps. Not sure which it was but really enjoyed some that were on the opposite side, as they seemed to milk the vert a little more with some small tech sections thrown in for good measure. Definitely a few steep sections as well. Fun place!