Glen Onoko Jim Thorpe- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm Glen Onoko Jim Thorpe

Trouble at Glen Onoko, near Jim Thorpe.

Don't know if this has any impact on mt biking but news worthy to an area that is linked to mt biking. Years back we actually road down this trail but years passed and erosion has made it impassible to mt biking. Today it is not known as a mt bike trail. I can assume the lower area will be the most impacted. Broad Mountain loop road aka mt bike loop passes at the top of GO, but not directly at the waterfall. There is a side trail that follows the ridge line from the view and connects to GO trail.

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...-hiking-trail/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It will definitely have an impact on rock and ice climbing there. The main falls and seeps in the Glen Onoko ravine have some great steep blue ice and mixed rock/ice routes.
    I wonder if the state will allow experienced climbers access to the area. Sounds like the state is trying to protect dumb asses from hurting themselves but censoring those that are legitimately experienced rock and ice climbers. another hit to access.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've spoken to a few and as of May 3rd, it will be officially closed to all. No exceptions. There is a trail further right of the Falls trail that takes you to the top as well. I didn't hear anything about that. It's a shame that so many have been hurt/killed there. But some can only blame themselves for how they approached the trail. I've seen way too many try to climb it in sandals/flip flops. Idiots who have ruined it on all others.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    The two other trails that connect to Glen Onoko trail are..."Shortcut trail" and "Overlook trail" they should be open, as well mas BML

There are plenty of snakes, so I hope ya like them, as I have been on both trails, literally surrounded by rattlers at times. Beautiful creatures!

I'm mostly on Jean's Run trail, or Rabbit Patch, to access the mountain, love to climb!

mtbr member
    Its a shame its being closed. Word is its a $100 fine if you get caught there once closed. I cant be the only one that finds it funny they will patrol it to collect fines but couldn't patrol it for stupid people.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

Shartacular Spectacular
    Bummer, we used to hike that back in high school somewhat regularly, even did some stealth camping. I used to lap it solo with a fully loaded pack to prepare for big backcountry backpacking trips. Admittedly, we also used to do a bit of jumping off the bridge on hot days tooóyoung and dumb. It was a beautiful hike and a great place for photography. I have a lot fun memories up there, this definitely makes me sad. Sitting on that rock jutting out into the water on the upper fall and watching the water flow over the edge was just really cool and unique.

Iíll be honest I donít get all the injuries, Iíve done the whole up and back in flip flops on a number of occasions and never twice about it or even had so much as a close call of any kind... Are these people hiking blindfolded?
    18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    And it took less than a week for this letter to show up in the local paper:

"The Pennsylvania Game Commissionís option to close the trail through state game lands leading to Glen Onoko Falls is theirs and only theirs to make. The land belongs to the sportsmen and women who purchased the land and hire the game commission to manage it for them. It does not belong to any tourism department or hiking club that have an online petition to try and change the commissionís option.

The suggestion that they build access roads at sportsmenís expense is ludicrous at best. For the most part, the sportsmen have given their blessings to the tourists and hikers provided they follow a few rules ó permission thatís at no expense to either group as they pay no access fees or contribute not a cent to the management and upkeep of any game lands.

As a sportsman and hunter, I and many others feel it is high time all access to game lands be restricted to hunting license buyers solely; the exceptions would be to Scouting groups who would need to apply for the sole exemption of the event in nonhunting seasons."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Whoever wrote that is nuts. I understand it is on state game lands. And that doesn't entitle anyone to benefits. I once hunted myself, and got tired of all the out of state hunters. Yet each and every year I hear hunters complain that there are no deer. I saw more hit by cars than what was probably shot LEGALLY this past season. The line to restrict access to only hunting licensed buyers only : So if I bought a doe ;icense then I should only have access to those lands during doe season. NOT any other time. That is how it should be. And the rest of the time I would be trespassing. Let's see all the hunters cry if that happens. Maybe they want me to shoot the deer for them. Whiners!
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Sadly, this has become the accepted solution. No one ever wants to be sued, blamed, or accept personal responsibility for their actions. As a private consultant, I see it all the time in the way we phrase letters, notes on plans, and respond to e-mails. We spend so much time covering our bums, and to what end?

My prediction is there will be a small protest when the game commission closes the trail. People will try to test it, and there will be a blitz of tickets in an attempt to discourage trespass. Some time will pass, and the trespass will lessen. Then, some day, someone who is unprepared, will get hurt, and with little-to-no foot traffic, could pay the ultimate price. Then the debate will spark up all over again.
    The cake is a lie.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    The GC is hurting the recreational impact of the area!

Here's how I see it...

Humans get hurt day in, day out, in every space on earth! this is a big draw for this area. Basically close GO, and the example has been set. Anyone, anywhere being injured on GC property should now sue for damages. There are many other waterfalls on GC property all over the state also! Get hurt? Sue, sue, sue... Lets go further, rock outcrops and views, fall off sue sue sue!!!!!!!!!!!!!! trip while hunting? get hurt? Sue...................................

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Any given weekend especially in the warmer months Glen Onoko is packed. Tourists and locals alike are either there to raft, bike/hike the Gorge trail, or hike the Falls. It has always been at your own risk. Well I agree. Now it's time to turn the screws on the almighty GC. Turn an ankle and need an ER visit, sue the GC for the costs. Fall off your bike on the Broad Mtn Loop sue. They want to act like they own every bit of forested area. Then pay the price for it.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As a sportsman and hunter, I and many others feel it is high time all access to game lands be restricted to hunting license buyers solely

OK, the licenses are 20 bucks, right? Seems cheap enough for a year of mountain biking on all PA game lands. I assume the letter writer and his "many others" would be fine with that.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Why pay for what we all ready own? Part of the GC act is use by other users, not just hunters! How about less gov interference or less taxes?

FREEDOM!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    $20 isn't much I agree. But how many hunters will cry when I want to ride during hunting season? I wouldn't be that crazy because there are too many trigger happy idiots out there. What the topic is about is a hiking trail, be it a very extreme trail. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't find a hunter posted there for game. It just seems the GC wants to push their weight around, which I guess in this case they can. But somewhere down the road it will bite them in the butt.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Hunters get real butt hurt when you say you will gladly pay $20 to hike or ride "their" land.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    It can be a super crazy scene all over up there. There are a bunch of equally dangerous falls/attractions but do they see the same crowds? This place is a huge tourist magnet.

Weird to not see more focus on the rafting tho considering.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I heard it was nuts up there this weekend from a few. Oddly enough no one was hurt.

Rafting isnt a big issue for JT, all the issues happen down stream. That big mess last year with the students was from Bowmanstown to Slatington. I live very close to the river near the 873 bridge and hear them running the choppers up and down everytime someone disapears.

mtbr member
    Honestly, Jim Thorpe was the FIRST Brevard. What it has become is just very sad.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Honestly, Jim Thorpe was the FIRST Brevard. What it has become is just very sad.
    Agree!
    +1