Getting started in Trials ???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Getting started in Trials ???

Checking out the trials pictures from Motorama, got us thinking... We used to race MX and went to Motorama a few years back, watched the motorcycle trials and was truly impressed. Since moved on from MX and have gotten into MTBing. Seen Jeff Lenosky last year, again very impressed. Didn't know they did trials on bicycles. My son is way into this trials stuff , we have a pretty cool very beginner course set up out back and he out grows the new stuff pretty quickly. Just wondering how and where I can get him more involved with the trials aspect of riding. We live in east central Pa.

Thanks, Mike

Respect Your Trails

Good job!

Hey, I was the one who posted the Motorama pics. Those motorcycle guys are crazy. Its pretty impressive to watch them throw around a 100 something pound bike the way they do.

I'm not really into true trials riding, but anytime you get the chance to ride on cars I'm all for it. I'm not sure of any other trials type rides in the area besides Motorama, however check out the links below. The trialscomp site has message boards where you can probably find local events posted. The video link is a instructional DVD that I believe came out recently and it is supposed to be pretty decent.

Good luck. Hope you son finds some connections and can continue to learn trials. Sorry I can't be too much more help.

http://www.totalvid.com/Mountain-Bik...-Art-of-Trials
    trialscomp.com
    bike trials.com

mtbr member

observedtrials.net

The most active online biketrials community right now is http://www.observedtrials.net/. Pa. has some great trials riders, and spots, and that is the best place to find them. There used to be an active competition series in the area called NEPS but it is no more. I still ride my stock trials bike some and would be down for some riding, where are you in Pa? Trials is a great sport and some of the most fun you can have on a bike, I would still be doing it if I had better rocks here, and not so much great XC riding. -Lath
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thorpe Trails
    The most active online biketrials community right now is http://www.observedtrials.net/. Pa. has some great trials riders, and spots, and that is the best place to find them. There used to be an active competition series in the area called NEPS but it is no more. I still ride my stock trials bike some and would be down for some riding, where are you in Pa? Trials is a great sport and some of the most fun you can have on a bike, I would still be doing it if I had better rocks here, and not so much great XC riding. -Lath
    Were about 30 minutes from JT. He's really into the technical playing around stuff and I think he's off to a good start. I would just like to get him exposed to it more and see how he progresses. I'll stick to the XC side of it all.

Your name sounds familiar. Do you live right in town, and did you lead a ride at MBW last year?

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    check out http://www.ryanleech.com/flash.html , its Ryan Leechs website. he offers a how too trials video that supposedly very good.

May 2004
    Hi:

Best way to get started is to Ride! Lots of Riding! Don't start over your head! You can't ride the stuff JJ Gregorowicz or Jay Dejesus can. Make it fun! Try to get the basics down first. Balancing is a big part. Learn to balance first so if you do an event you will have some confidence. Candytown motorcycle club used to have events for bicycles. They still might, they are located near Harrisburg. Dwayne English from Bottle Run Extreme is a great guy for Bicycle and motorcycle trails. Tell him Lee Curry sent you. He will take care of all your needs.
    Bottle Run Exteme: http://www.bottlerunxtreme.com/default.asp?page=Home

I spent many a year at Motorama setting up and riding there. If you ever feel like riding trials shoot me an email.proformance [email protected]. I have sections set-up and ready to ride! Gota get together! I'm located in northeast PA. Near Scranton.

mtbr member

yep, that was me

Yeah, I live right in town and a led a couple of the more advanced rides at MBW. Did you go on one of them? The other big help with trials is to buy a trials bike, you can get away with a small hardtail at first but once you get beyond the basics you need a proper trials setup. Kids do better on a mod because they are smaller and weight less. I recommend Tim at Trialsin.com or Webcyclery.com.

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker
    Were about 30 minutes from JT. He's really into the technical playing around stuff and I think he's off to a good start. I would just like to get him exposed to it more and see how he progresses. I'll stick to the XC side of it all.

Your name sounds familiar. Do you live right in town, and did you lead a ride at MBW last year?

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, I live right in town and a led a couple of the more advanced rides at MBW. Did you go on one of them? The other big help with trials is to buy a trials bike, you can get away with a small hardtail at first but once you get beyond the basics you need a proper trials setup. Kids do better on a mod because they are smaller and weight less. I recommend Tim at Trialsin.com or Webcyclery.com.
    We'll have to see how it all goes before the new bikes start rolling in, lol

Did we stop at your house for some water towards the end of the ride?

Mike

mtbr member

understood

If he gets really into it you can pickup a used mod bike cheap, I sold mine for $200 a couple years ago. Yea, we stopped by my house/factory. Was that the ride where my derailluer exploded and I had to trailrun it?

We'll have to see how it all goes before the new bikes start rolling in, lol

Did we stop at your house for some water towards the end of the ride?

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

other trials sites

Other Bike trials sites to check out are www.trials-online.com and www.biketrials.com. I have ordered Ryan Leeches "how to video" and as soon as I get it and review it I'll let everyone know how it is. The motorama event was a good event. Perhaps next year they could have a Q and A period with the riders ( I would doubt they would let you take a test spin if you where not signed up to compete for insurance reason or what have you) . I was impressed by all the skill especially the Unicyclists ( just riding one is tough enough)... Ride On...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If he gets really into it you can pickup a used mod bike cheap, I sold mine for $200 a couple years ago. Yea, we stopped by my house/factory. Was that the ride where my derailluer exploded and I had to trailrun it?
    It was the morning ride on the first day, dropped alot of people, a few flats but don't recall any trail running. My son was along, he was the only kid.

Mike

mtbr member

oh, that kid!

Your son was amazing on that ride, made a lot of the older riders look like wimps. The second day we did a different route that was just as tough and I had to trail run the second half because my derailleur exploded and I can't run SS on my Titus. Good thing it was all rock gardens so people weren't going too fast anyway, good workout. We'll see what we can put together this year....

It was the morning ride on the first day, dropped alot of people, a few flats but don't recall any trail running. My son was along, he was the only kid.

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

art of trials dvd

I recently got the Ryan Leech dvd and for around $30 is was pretty informative. Certain aspects like tire pressure , Hubs and other bike set up where avoided but gearing was touched on. I still believe that a certain amount of natural talent is involved to be proficient but many of the skills explained will help the average Mountain Biker. The music in places was cheesy and often distractingly bad but all in all the DVD gets my thumbs up.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Sounds like I have just the ticket for you and your son...

Checking out the trials pictures from Motorama, got us thinking... We used to race MX and went to Motorama a few years back, watched the motorcycle trials and was truly impressed. Since moved on from MX and have gotten into MTBing. Seen Jeff Lenosky last year, again very impressed. Didn't know they did trials on bicycles. My son is way into this trials stuff , we have a pretty cool very beginner course set up out back and he out grows the new stuff pretty quickly. Just wondering how and where I can get him more involved with the trials aspect of riding. We live in east central Pa.

Thanks, Mike

For web site(s), try www.trialsin.com and www.webcyclery.com Trialsin is informative and for purchase of trials related stuff. Webcyclery sells a lot of trials gear.

BUT, since you only live in Sch. Hvn., you may want to take a day and come down to southern Berks County. There is a little village called St. Peter's Village that has a TON of rocks for riding trials. Beginner to pro.
    It is right off of Route 23. Some of you older riders may remember the footage from St. Pete's in the Death Series Trilogy of trials videos from back in the day.

Then, French Creek State Park is about 3-4 minutes up the road off of Route 345. Get 3-4 hours of great trail riding in before heading home!

I figure that you're only about an hour away. Drop down 61, come through Reading, head down Rt 176 to 23 and you're minutes away.

Give it a try!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Members who have read this thread: 0