Gap/Drop at Slocom- Mtbr.com
    Go Big or Die Tryin'

Gap/Drop at Slocom

Rode Slocom on Saturday and noticed a nice little gap/drop that someone started putting in.
    1. Is Slocom OK with natural features like this?
    2. Whoever is into trail building like this please PM me...we could use you at Mtn Top.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Finius T Flubberbuster
    Rode Slocom on Saturday and noticed a nice little gap/drop that someone started putting in.
    1. Is Slocom OK with natural features like this?
    2. Whoever is into trail building like this please PM me...we could use you at Mtn Top.
    To answer your question on #1. No.

Any work done at the park we have to get approval from the park management except for example a tree fell down on the trail and blocking it. We could remove that but we notify them that we did that. As for free ride features they won’t let us put anything like that in.

Chris
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    That's unfortunate, NEPA is already littered with great XC trails. Its really a shame that approved trail work has to be so sterile.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Let me back Chris up a little here.

FTF, you are correct, there are many real nice trails throughout the area and the more we can aquire the better, and that includes Slocum as well. With that said however you need to understand that we as a community are at Slocum by invite and to keep that invitation open we have agreed to follow the parks rules and guide lines set forth by the park manager. Very simple.

There are those that don’t like this plan and at times and will complain to Chris or I about not being able to ride or do what they wish up there..or, worse yet, take it upon themselves to start building stuff in the park without the proper permission. Yeah, I know, we all are guilty of that one somewhere or another, but at Slocum the trails are really heavily monitored, so anything out of the ordinary we get a call from the PM.

Simply put, it’s not our land, it belongs to the state and they set the rules. Keep in mind a few years ago there were no mountain bikes allowed at all in the park. Since we got involved, the park is now open to bikes, at least the one side of it is..a good thing as we don’t mingle or crash into the campers on the other side…we now have night riding on the Tuesday rides, and there are plans to possibly open up some new trails in the future.

We’re fortunate to have the staff at Slocum. Their assistance to the group and mountain biking as a whole has been tremendous. Work days with all the trucks and equipment, drainage pipe..you name it has been generously provided by the PM. Also, we have a PM, btw Rex Bradish is his name, who is actively involved in what we do. He reads all the mountain bike forums, this one included, and we have a park ranger who is a member of our group and rides about every week. So, in short they know what is going on and support it. No reason to shoot ourselves in the foot and get them angry at us, so we “toe the line” so to speak. Following a few simple rules keeps it all good.

Sorry about writing a novel to your one line reply, but if you do have any suggestions on how to improve what we have by all means let us hear about them. We can always forward them to the park and take it from there.

Kevin
    WVMTBA
    http://wvmtba.com/

FTF - check out mOOn lake and find Lee Curry - it's a better venue for features.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by jonz187
    FTF - check out mOOn lake and find Lee Curry - it's a better venue for features.
    Oh Ya, we got what ya want!

The mOOn has lot's of stuff you'll like! Twenty five miles of trails and still growing! We have a "Skills" area, "multiple Trials areas" And the Deacon Trials area as well as many features on our trails, ya gotta ride'em to find'em.We hosted a "Trials event this past summer at our mOOnapalOOza event, What a blast...

NEPMTBA has our Wednesday night rides at 6 PM every Wednesday with guys like Chuck Menziff from Main BIke World who has a open challenge to anyone who can clean 5858 trail with no stops or dabs, and the Around Town Bike, Cedar Bike, Syracuse, Ithaca, New York guys are all regulars. We have multi time trials champ JJ Gregorowicz on our team as an adviser, as we worked together for many years at Motorama in Harrisburg. All at the mOOn.

NEPMTBA has been very busy this past summer with major improvements on all trails to improve flow and the super fun factor, cause like you we ride everything, and like it that way. I always say NEPMTBA never rests, we just keep gaining land, and aceess for all...

Our latest accomplishment is a few of our Cedar bike/NEPMTBA racers have struck a deal with JORBA the allow Paydirt work hours at the mOOn to allow our racers to gain needed H2H series points.

NEPMTBA has also stuck a deal for access to 286 acreas of private land that connects to the mOOn! We are the first in the area to see the use of "electric mt bike" on this property, but that just a whole other story that you will see more of in the future.

Come join the first, largest, most progressive group of diehard Mt Bikers!
    Now avaliable in electric version also... LOL

WE RIDE
    NEPMTBA

[QUOTE=
    Chuck Menziff from Main BIke World who has a open challenge to anyone who can clean 5858 trail with no stops or dabs[/QUOTE]

Haa, I better have a word w/ Charles today, is he including the little extension near the Deacon? I've cleaned 5858 a few times, but only with extension once - the hairpin right between the trees is pretty gnarly. How about NFS backwards?

Did you ever have ham?

Moon Lake

I can clean the service road by Deacon! LMAO!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jonz187
    Haa, I better have a word w/ Charles today, is he including the little extension near the Deacon? I've cleaned 5858 a few times, but only with extension once - the hairpin right between the trees is pretty gnarly. How about NFS backwards?
    Well, you know Chuckster, he's on a rigid SS with 32/18 gearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The man is the MTB "ROCKY" All I hear on our rides is: "Com'on Uncle Lee crank that baby" The line at the end/beginning of 5858, between the trees is tight, and there is a similar line next to it but it's occupied by a rather large unfriendly ROCK. I guess you would have to ride it with him to see which lines he takes, since we are allowed to have multiple line choices at the mOOn. We do ride NFS backwards, but it is "NUTS"

quote= motoman465:
    I can clean the service road by Deacon! LMAO /quote

Yes you can, but which side of the picnic table do you go on?...LOL You are truly a mOOn rid'in freek!

NEPMTBA
    WE RIDE THE mOOn

mtbr member
    Wow, if the deal goes through for 286 acres of land use!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn333
    Wow, if the deal goes through for 286 acres of land use!
    Yes, and the mOOn is over 1000 acres ta boot, plus it borders the Lackawanna state forest which is thousands of acres!

NEPMTBA
    WE RIDE

Did you ever have ham?
    DRINK MOON MIST!!! HaHa HeHe!!!

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006

No good Trouble at Frances Slocum.....

....dog walkers being fined for leash law, mt bikers thrown out!

It a STATE PARK not a "POLICE STATE"

Did you ever have ham?

Trouble at Slocum

I don't know the whole story about what is going on at Slocum. From what I have heard through the grapevine, the dogwalkers are being fined for violating the PA state leash law. As for the mt. biker being kicked out I have not heard much, but there are certain rules that must be followed. I don't think this is a matter of the rangers at Slocum acting like they are German SS soldiers, I think it is a matter of people violating park rules...I could be wrong just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Well let's see here. It is a law in all state parks, for that matter it's a law in most communities that dogs MUST be kept on a leash, so I don't see where FS should be singled out as a "Police State". For the most part the only time that the rangers up there fine anyone is after repeated warnings. The guys up there are all for the "Education" end of things, not the enforcement end. Also, it is a PARKWIDE ban on a STATEWIDE level, not just the area that allows mountain bikes in any state park, so your claim of FS being a police state does not apply.

Same with the bikers. There are set trails we are allowed to ride on. One trail that continually gets abused is the "Yellow" trail that runs very close to the shoreline of the lake. It is clearly marked "No Bikes", both on the trail maps and the trail itself. Our group does not ride that trail and we also tell others not to ride that trail. With that said however there is one group that continually rides it, and has gotten caught many times. If you are in that group or know of someone in that group that recently got caught doing just that, riding that trail ILLEGALLY...AGAIN.....what can I say?

Also, same group likes to go ripping thru the campground area or cutting their own trails, repeatedly. Now, don't you think after being warned time and time again that maybe one or two fines are warranted?

What people fail to realize that the actions caused by just one or two errant and irresponsible groups as a whole ruin it on everyone at every park. Don't think for one minute that the managers of these parks, wether it be state or county owned don't communicate with each other. This is how our community gets such a bad rap and this is why we go out of our way at FS , and I'll include Moon Lake as well, to work with the park management and rangers to ensure that illegal activities are kept to a minimum.

Like I said at the top of this topic, we're at FS by invite. There are just a few simple rules, how hard can it be? Let's try to keep things working good. Let's face it, a lot of trails are being threatened again with closure over budget problems. So, where ever you ride, get involved and help do it the right way.

Kevin
    (WVMTBA)
    wvmtba.com

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

ZapGap165

I can agree with you a bit as on our rides at Moon lake I see and hear people who say they will never go to Frances Slocum again. There are other state parks and forests who are mt bike friendly and allow the building of mt bike features. If you like FS go there and enjoy it.

It comes down to the PM of the park as to his input to allow such features. The PM at Frances Slocum has always been great to work with our group NEPMTBA. Running a state park is a tough job in my opinion.

On the other hand Moon lake has the trails and features you are looking for.

Nuf said
    NEPMTBA
    RIDE THE mOOn

Did you ever have ham?

The Bottom Line

The Bottom Line is this....Shut Up and Ride!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    The Bottom Line is this....Shut Up and Ride!
    THE mOOn...LOL

NEPMTBA
    WE RIDE BIKES...LOL

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006
    ok whatever PB

With all that trouble you speak of why would anyone wanna ride there?

mtbr member
    ^ No trouble at all, at least not for us. We have a great time.

Every trail has it's naysayers, that's to be expected. Just like Lee has heard that people won't ride FS, we've heard the same about Moon Lake...the Tubs, the Chinese Downhill...Lehigh Gorge........ect, ect, ect.

With all that trouble...hmmm...keep dogs on leash...ride trails that are designated for bikes, don't build anything unless approved by the park. That's trouble?

Anyway...let's all take the advice of motoman....

Just shut up and ride!! Best advice of the day.

Kevin

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Hey motoman:

These guys crack me up, bla, bla, bla, illegal trails, bla, bla, bla, rules bla, bla, bla, bla, drop gap bla, bla..................... arguing over Frances Slocum's 5.5 miles of trails... LOL

Don't you know?

The mOOn is #1 in all 50 states and Guam
    NEPMTBA
    AHH... WYOMING VALLEY, PENNSYLVANIA

Did you ever have ham?

Guam

I hear they have some kick-ass illegal trails in Guam, but don't tell anybody!

Members who have read this thread: 0