French Creek and Mt.Gretna Maps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

French Creek and Mt.Gretna Maps

Here are some trail maps of both places for anyone that needs one!
    These are my 2 favorites.
    If you start at the Black Circle Clockwise(the best direction by far)on the Fench Creek map and follow the purple to the orange loop(beginnner/sport split), that is 8 miles. I nomally park below it at Hopwell Lake and hit the first trail(just above the Disc Golf)it connects with the Turtle trail at the top of the hill.
    On the Mt. Gretna Map, Trail 4 is a nice downhill and runs into trail 15. Take trail 15. It is very technical and is full of rocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Nice. I'm going to use your map of french soon, maybe saturday. Believe it or not, I've only ridden the southeast side. I've had so much fun there that I've never explored the parts you highlighted.

Are those hosted on another site where I can get bigger versions ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Chances are high that I will be there Saturday morning also. If you(or anyone else that may want to) would park at Hopewell Lake by the boat launch, I am usually there around 9 and have a newer Blue Civic with a 3 bike Thule Roof Rack on it. I am always looking for folks to ride with.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Um, aren't a few of the trails that you have marked for French Creek specifically off limits to bikes (hence the little bicycle with a circle and a line)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The map that I posted is of the routes being used at the "On the Rocks" Race on August 16th and it came directly from their website(evidently they will be open on that day only). You are correct though, the top section of trail on the map is closed to bikes normally, but only the top portion. If you go across the orange trail, it is definitely open to bikes and so is everything below it, except for one little trail down by Hopewell lake. These are the trails that I personally ride every week and have not seen any "no-bike" signs anywhere except for those 2 locations on either end of the orange trail, and have also seen lots of riders in those areas. Thanks a lot for pointing that out though. I would hate for someone to get caught in there by accident.
    Last edited by Lugi; 07-14-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Nice. I'm going to use your map of french soon, maybe saturday. Believe it or not, I've only ridden the southeast side. I've had so much fun there that I've never explored the parts you highlighted.

Are those hosted on another site where I can get bigger versions ?
    There are usually copies of the maps at the ranger station which is next to Hopewell Lake

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    Um, aren't a few of the trails that you have marked for French Creek specifically off limits to bikes (hence the little bicycle with a circle and a line)?
    Yep. Those trails are sometimes opened to bikes for races, but are off limits all other times.

It started with the trail sanitizing in the late 90's, which led to higher speeds, more injuries, and more conflicts with other trail users. That led to the closing of many of the finer trails, which led to more poaching, which led to more conflicts, etc, etc.

F.C. is merely a shadow of what it used to be. And the sanitizing efforts have gotten much worse. I can only think of one real log crossing west of Rt. 345, although it's probably gone by now. Even the little bunny hop-able logs are promptly removed.

The trails east of Rt. 345 still have some challenging spots, but if the trail sanitizers ever get there, be ready for more closings.

Members who have read this thread: 0