French Creek- Mtbr.com

Thread: French Creek

mtbr member

French Creek

Anybody been out there lately and has a conditions report?
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I was out there this morning and rode up to the fire tower and back from shed road and the conditions were great. There were 2 or 3 areas that seemed a bit muddy, but were very easy to ride around, yet for some reason quite a few bikers decided to go mud bogging. Mind you there were only about 2 areas like this and the biggest was about 5ftx2ft and easily avoidable.

Chilling out
    I don't mean to be a downer, not jumping on you much SS, but the general guidance is go THROUGH the mud, not around.

This prevents widening of the trail and eroding area around the trail.

Long term, if an area stays wet then the trail needs to be rerouted or armored in some fashion.

From the couple times I've been to FC I'd guess it just needs more drying time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I don't mean to be a downer, not jumping on you much SS, but the general guidance is go THROUGH the mud, not around.

This prevents widening of the trail and eroding area around the trail.

Long term, if an area stays wet then the trail needs to be rerouted or armored in some fashion.

Cool, thanks for the heads up bear, I appreciate it. I'm new to this game so any pointers help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    SS said he was there and there were only a couple small spots that were muddy. I ride FC pretty regular (but haven't been out since the weather broke) and if there are only a couple spots, then it doesn't need more drying time. There are certain muddy spots that are almost always there doesn't matter how long you wait or dry its been.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Just,

Agreed, I think they are the low spots that always hold water...
    ...thinking of coming down to test the new KTM this weekend. FC is a great place to put the climbing skills through the paces, love this place. Maybe visit Hopewell also! Great area!

mtbr member
    NEPMTAB - we haven't had much rain down here this week; just kind of spitting on and off the last few days. This weekend should be nice.

mtbr member
    Got out to FC Saturday and it was fantastic. There were two small soft spots in weird places; not the normal wet spots, but nothing that was a problem. The woods were super dry; almost like late summer or Sept. I am always amazed at how few riders I encounter on the trails there. I got tied up in the AM and didn't get out until around 1pm and say only 2 other mountain bikers on the trails. You would think a mid-day Saturday and there would be some heavy trail use. Even general trail traffic was light; a couple hikers and a pair of horses was it on a beautiful Saturday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Nice, glad that you got to get out this week. I'm hoping to get out there again this Wednesday evening if it is nice out.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks for the report...
    ... I never made it, but rather hit Moosic Mt, hope I can make it next weekend

mtbr member
    Hey Lee, how is Moosic this time of year? I visit up there usually in summer and fall.
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    I was at Moosic a few days ago. As of then, I wouldn't recommend riding Blueberry. Specifically this section near the power lines:

French Creek-screen-shot-2015-04-16-8.58.03-pm.png

Elsewhere on Blueberry, it was muddy around corners. It may have dried out since then.

Gene's Trail was a little muddy from the bottom of Bruised Ego down to the reservoir. I think the rest of it was pretty dry.

Still, no major problems. Nothing on the scale of Lackawanna State Park mud.

mtbr member
    Thanks Z-wave. I know that all those "rocks" will be in great shape, haha! Appreciate the info, hoping to get up there a few times this riding season.

bw
    Live to ride, ride to live

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    bwargula

I was up there last Sunday, great... the new After Five is still pretty slow, the rest are in good shape!

Sorry for the off topic!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    FC was glorious today. No mud anywhere

mtbr member
    I second that. Sunday was fantastic. You rarely see it that dry. Even with this little rain we're getting today, should still be great all week, with all the trees in full suck mode.