French Creek- Mtbr.com

Thread: French Creek

mtbr member

French Creek

I'll be riding/camping there this weekend.
    Anybody ever ridden there?

Any good trails to take? Any suggestions would be great!!!

mtbr member
    Awesome man thanks!!!

I can't wait, my friend seems to know the place pretty well. Approx how many miles is the outer loop?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by stosh
    I'll be riding/camping there this weekend.
    Anybody ever ridden there?

Any good trails to take? Any suggestions would be great!!!
    I ride there a lot. Was just there on saturday, in fact. Trails are in fine shape, but the gnats and mosquitoes are a bother in this weather. Some OFF! might be a good idea.

As far as trails go... pick up a map at the park or print the one on the DCNR website.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...creek_mini.pdf

Generally, this is the "loop" I ride...modified a bit since you'll start from the campground:

From the campground road, ride downhill until you hit the stopsign at Park Road.

turn right, continuing down hill. look for a trail on your right (Boone, blue blazes). If you pass the ranger station, you went to far.

Climb up hill with switchback until Boone trail intersects the Turtle Trail (yellow/white blaze). At intersection, bear left onto Turtle trail. Continue following yellow/white blazes. when you come to the fire tower access road, go straight across. Continue on yellow/white trail until you hit the Boone trail again (it will be a Y-intersection, with blue blazes going off to your left. bear left, following those)

You'll go over some wooden bridges, then cross the fire tower road. Keep going a short distance on the blue trail and you'll (again) come out to the fire tower road. At this point you'll see signs for group tent camping. Follow the gravel road until you see the yellow- blazed trail on your left. Take that... be prepared for a very steep technical climb w/ big water bars (read: granny gear is not a bad choice!) At the first 'intersection' w/ another trail, bear left and continue upward. Shortly after you reach the top of the hill, look for an orange blazed trail on your right!! DO NOT MISS THIS TURN. If you do, you'll bomb down hill for a bit, then hook up with some trail that is closed to bikes.

Take the right turn onto the orange trail. This takes you back toward the campground. Eventually, you'll hook up with an orange/green trail, which in turn takes you to the blue trail. This is confusing, I know, and the map isn't great...but you'll eventually follow the blue trail through a big rock garden, around a pair of switchbacks then down and out to the campground road where you started...

from there, either call it quits, or do what I do...pick up the Lenape Trail (green). Follow it out to Rte 345. Cross 345 and head to your right, picking up the Mill Creek Trail (Red & white) on the other side of Shed Rd. Follow the Mill Creek Trail until a T-intersection. Turn left at the T, still following the red & white blazes. This is the start of a LONG rocky descent...arguably the best one in the park.

Bomb down the hill...just watch the rocks! Keep going until you hit another T intersection. Bear left and keep going downhill.

Shortly after that turn, the trail will abrubtly swing around 180 degrees and begin climbing. From here, there's a big perpetually wet section and a long, slow climb out. Just follow the red&white blazes. There will be a point where you hit a sort of switchback in the trail and start climbing a very, very rocky hill. A short distance up this hill, you will come across an un-marked trail on your right. I recommend taking this, but it's up to you. If you take the trail to the right, you will cut off a big PITA chunk of that climb and eventually hook up with the red&white trail again. Bear right when you do. Then it's simply a matter of continuing straight on the red&white all the way back out to Shed Rd.

Climb back up the Lenape (green) trail until you hit the campground.

Now, you're done! Easy, eh?

Have fun.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I haven't been to French Creek in a while, but it's a good place to camp & a great place to ride. At a guess, I'd say that there's maybe 20-25 miles of riding available, you can ride everything there in a day or weekend. The trails have color-coded blazes & the park office has pretty decent maps, get one of those & you should be good.

Check out the reviews here. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donxfive
    I haven't been to French Creek in a while, but it's a good place to camp & a great place to ride. At a guess, I'd say that there's maybe 20-25 miles of riding available, you can ride everything there in a day or weekend. The trails have color-coded blazes & the park office has pretty decent maps, get one of those & you should be good.

Check out the reviews here. Have fun!

Anything to do in the area outside or riding?
    I was reading the reviews of the trails this morning getting excited.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Awesome man thanks!!!

I can't wait, my friend seems to know the place pretty well. Approx how many miles is the outer loop?
    Not sure what you mean by the 'outer' loop, but the route I just described is approximately 14 miles. It's been a long time since I've used an odometer, but 14 is a good ballpark number.

The trails are marked pretty well, but the map isn't great.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Anything to do in the area outside or riding?
    I was reading the reviews of the trails this morning getting excited.
    Well, if you like food & beer (and are over 21)...

http://www.tikibarpa.com/whatsup.html

Nice place to dull the aches, fill the belly, and shoot the $#!^...

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Good description above...and for food, etc....

Hoping that this response isn't too late. The maps avail. at the park are excellent. You could divide your rides by doing one on each of the sides of Rt. 345. If you have one of the maps, you will be fine.
    As for food. St. Peter's Village is a mere 5 minute (maybe less) drive from the park. The Inn at St. Pete's has everything from pub food out on the deck (maybe even entertainment in the lower bar at night) all the way to "Inn" style food (cloth napkins and table coverings) upstairs. Patrons range from yuppies to bikers (not of the mountain bike kind). You could even ride there if necessary. Ask a park guard for directions if taking the back roads to St Petes. Otherwise, go out of the park, down 345 to Rt 23, make a left and take 23 east and look for the signs at the bottom of a long hill (a couple of miles). The road up to St Petes will be on the left. The beer will be cold, unsure if any micros served.
    There was even some trials footage shot down on the rocks (HUGE ROCKS) in the stream directly behind the Inn. (In the old Death Trilogy Trials Videos)
    The Tiki Bar is cool but St Petes is much closer.
    Hope this helps. Have a good time!
    Please post after your weekend to say how things went!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Hoping that this response isn't too late. The maps avail. at the park are excellent. You could divide your rides by doing one on each of the sides of Rt. 345. If you have one of the maps, you will be fine.
    As for food. St. Peter's Village is a mere 5 minute (maybe less) drive from the park. The Inn at St. Pete's has everything from pub food out on the deck (maybe even entertainment in the lower bar at night) all the way to "Inn" style food (cloth napkins and table coverings) upstairs. Patrons range from yuppies to bikers (not of the mountain bike kind). You could even ride there if necessary. Ask a park guard for directions if taking the back roads to St Petes. Otherwise, go out of the park, down 345 to Rt 23, make a left and take 23 east and look for the signs at the bottom of a long hill (a couple of miles). The road up to St Petes will be on the left. The beer will be cold, unsure if any micros served.
    There was even some trials footage shot down on the rocks (HUGE ROCKS) in the stream directly behind the Inn. (In the old Death Trilogy Trials Videos)
    The Tiki Bar is cool but St Petes is much closer.
    Hope this helps. Have a good time!
    Please post after your weekend to say how things went!

Awesome man thanks!!!!
    We're camping there and I'm not sure if the people we are meeting there have intentions of leaving the camp after speaking with them last night. I will however make some suggestions. Thanks!!!!

Man I can't wait, this place sounds great!!

mtbr member
    My review of French Creek

I rode there this past Saturday and did the longer outside loop. It had rained the night before and it was very humid the next morning. By the time we finally un-stuck ourselves from our air mattress and had some breakfast it was about 11am. We picked up the trail where it crosses in front of the campground main gate. Somehow my fiance gets out in front and we're all slipping all over the place... She goes to make a 45 degree turn around and a tree and her front tire just slides out from under her. At that point we all slow down a little and decide to take it easy for the rest of the ride. As we continue to ride we come across rock garden after rock garden... they are fun and technical but some are pretty long and the worry of hitting one wrong and falling in the middle is always in the back of your mind. French Creek has an odd mix of super tech rock gardens and full force smooth trails. There were some long climbs and short climbs and even the less experienced riders were able to have fun.

All in all I loved the place and it was great to ride right out of our campsite.
    Can't wait to get back there!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I had a great time at French Creek!!!

I had a whole review done but MTBR said the server was to busy and I lost it all.
    Anyway here is a pic of our campsite.