Frances Slocum workday 4/5/09 supported by NEPMTBA- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Frances Slocum workday 4/5/09 supported by NEPMTBA

To all:

Our local state park, Frances Slocum needs your help, and NEPMTBA has been invited for the third year in a row by Frances Slocum SP manager Mr. Rex Bradish to help. NEPMTBA would like to thank all who have helped in the past and appreciate your continued support.

It has been a long winter for all of us and trails go through many changes throughout the year but none more detrimental than the winter season. NEPMTBA has monitored the trails at Frances Slocum SP throughout the winter and observed conditions with Mr. Bradish. Two weeks ago I have begun leaf blowing, and removing leaves from the drains and pipes under the bridges as I always do. Getting an early start on things is always good! At that time I also observed 3 major blowdowns on the white connector trail and Mr Bradish and I have spoke and NEPMTBA has offered to help remove these obstacles.

NEPMTBA will be attending the workday and as always everyone is invited to work with us to learn about trail maintenance, and working with park officials in a safe manner to allow all users of the trails a more enjoyable experience. Even if you have never attended a workday it's a great opportunity to, spend time outdoors, meet new friends, learn the trails, and talk of many stories about rides, and events we have planned for 2009.

Directions and logistics are as follows:<st1><st1></st1></st1><st1><st1></st1></st1>
    Sunday April 5th 2009<st1:date year="2009" day="5" month="4"><st1:date year="2008" day="13" month="4"></st1:date></st1:date>, from <st1:time minute="0" hour="9"><st1:time minute="0" hour="9">9:00AM - 2:00PM</st1:time></st1:time>, meeting at the <st1:street><st1:address><st1:street><st1:address>Carverton Road access pumping station fenced in area</st1:address></st1:street></st1:address></st1:street> Mocanaqua trailhead at <st1:time minute="0" hour="9"><st1:time minute="0" hour="9">9 AM</st1:time></st1:time>. Registration and equipment distribution will take place at that location and afterwards participants will be assigned a work area. Please pack a lunch, bring plenty of water, and dress appropriately. NEPMTBA members are already registered as Conservation Volunteers do not have to re-register. New participants can register day of event. For more info contact Frances Slocum SP office at: 570-696-3525.

Please bring your Mt bikes as NEPMTBA will host a post workday ride on the trails.

Thanks to park officials, staff, and trail crew for your support and consideration.

Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA
    PAMTBA

Ride da mOOn Moderator

It's coming...

...less than a week now, and don't forget we ride the mOOn this Wednesday night 6 PM meet at the Main Gate!

See ya on the Trails

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    Not sure what time yet, but I will be at Slocum weather permitting.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by tturbotom
    Not sure what time yet, but I will be at Slocum weather permitting.
    TT:

See ya there! Bring your bike for the ride after. Did you get to ride Rollercoaster at Mt Top yet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    TT:

Did you get to ride Rollercoaster at Mt Top yet?

Thanks
    Not yet, maybe next week or weekend. Initial reports are that it is bad arse

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Not yet, maybe next week or weekend. Initial reports are that it is bad arse
    Brian & Mike have great eye for Roll & Flow. Always a blast rid'in stuff they layout and construct!

See ya!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Turbo Tom:

The workdays at Frances Slocum are arranged, scheduled, and conducted by Rex Bradish the park manager and we are invited to support him in his efforts as conservation volunteers. Rex will have a short meeting and tell us of his plans for the day. I know you were there for the workdays a few years back at Frances Slocum with Kris Baker the previous PM. NEPMTBA planned and hosted the workdays with his permission through an agreement we arranged with him. Rex sent an email and in the email it states that equipment will be handed out prior to the beginning of the workday. Rex will have a short meeting before the work begins and assign work to be done.

Whereas at Moon Lake, NEPMTBA plans and hosts the trailcare days as we are the official park trailcare crew, so we supply tools along with the park maintenance and staff.

Hope this helps...

So confuses about two posts about the same workday ;-) So I'll post in both.

Are there any preliminary plans as to what the work day will entail? Maintenance of the original trails? Bridge building? Cutting new trails or ride arounds? Improving signage? Other stuff? Just curious.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Listen!

To all:

After the workday and a lap around Frances Slocum a bunch of us are heading to the mOOn for a ride. Park at the Main Gate and prolly ride out to the NSF DH(I need some DH) and then up Plan B(alt) back Nature's Way to Thorny, Rock-It, Peek a Boo, Buddys and so on... OR NOT... Just a suggestion, we can decide when we get there. With so many options, it's hard to decide! Might have to visit "Burts" & "Moto"

But Mister... "I just wanna Ride"

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

So confuses about two posts about the same workday ;-) So I'll post in both.

Are there any preliminary plans as to what the work day will entail? Maintenance of the original trails? Bridge building? Cutting new trails or ride arounds? Improving signage? Other stuff? Just curious.
    Turbo Tom:

Rex and I have spoke throughout the season and he has many ideas, ranging from all you mention. One of his and my concerns is the more volunteers that show up the more we can get done, and you have to hand it to him and his staff for supporting mt biking.

mtbr member
    Tom, I think you should start a new thread to address your questions about the Frances Slocum Workday. Haha! See you tomorrow!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Ya what he said

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Great Work...

To all:

A very successful workday in great weather at FS with Ranger Kramer leading the group of 15 trail workers. He had 8 tasks for us to complete, and we not only got them all done, but we had time for him to assign a few more things that we accomplished. The drains are open, one trail section on the beginning of Blue trail was rerouted to avoid standing water. Most trails are raked or blown clean. The first stream crossing has a great new bridge to get you across without getting wet or having to ride the nasty wet roots. Other problem drainage areas were reconstructed and improved, the blowdowns on the beginning of the White trail are gone. There were a few riders out also riding the FS trails in the AM.

NEPMTBA extends our continued support and thanks to Rex Bradish, Ranger Kramer and John Murphy as well as others who make Frances Slocum trails one of the nicest places to ride/hike or just go for a walk.

Brain, Mike, Steve, Loren, Jake, Chiris(Murph): I think the 4th and newest bridge is just about or better than the "Mother" brigde! Fantastic artistic stone work!

Pics coming soon

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    Indeed, great day of work and play!! Can't wait until the weather is like that all the time!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Gary:

Frances Slocum seems to demand lots of attention as to other trails we ride around the valley that have many more miles to them. It's hard to get the water off the trails. Chuck Kovach did a great job on piping at the Green Rd section. He and I spoke and the water problem there isn't mainly from run-off, but rather perks up onto the trail from below, but as summer approaches the water table naturally drops and the water problem goes away. In spring & fall that entire sidehill drains into the area of the Roman road which is a swampland.

How did the mega mOOn ride go. We were beat! Loren tried to hit every trail. We only missed a few Salamander, T-Rex 1, NFS, and Burt's. Roz says she loves the mOOn, and we also met Gene Katapski there on one part of our a ride. I saw the Fish Commission on Saturday stocking trout at the the bridge on Pavlick's Rd. It made me smile as when that happens Spring has sprung!

Time to ride ride ride! See ya Friday bring a snowshovel... LOL

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

heres the pics i got from working at the bridge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Jake:

Nice pics!

I really liked the tree I pulled up to sleep by. I think the last really big rock did me in. After the quick power nap I was ready to go again. That is one of the nicest bridges we have built at FS out of the 4 that exist. It is fun to watch Brian & Mike fit and move rocks that seem to magically fill the gaps. The trail is so much better and smoother flow through that area! No more icy feet in the winter.

Let's see how the weather is tomorrow for the Tuesday night ride.

Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

Members who have read this thread: 0