feedback on Mt. Gretna- Gov. Dick wanted- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    my church is the woods
    Reputation: moonraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,066

    feedback on Mt. Gretna- Gov. Dick wanted

    Anyone who is a trail user of the Park at Governor Dick, Mt. Gretna

    You can help Free the Trails!

    I am collecting data from park users, especially if you've visited from outside the area, to be used in a presentation to the Governor Dick board of trustees. I would like to show some real examples of the economic impact our park, specifically the trail system, generates.

    1. How far do/did you travel?
    2. What were your expenditures related to your visit to the park? (specific as you like; where you ate, if you needed new bike parts afterwords, etc.)
    3. What is your impression if the "foot travel only" trail restrictions?
    4. Would an expanded trail system impact your decision to visit again?
    5. Other comments?


    You can PM me with your replies, email me, or just post up your replies here on this thread. A name and general location would be nice to have to go along with your comments, let me know if you would rather keep it anonymous.

    And, if you don't mind getting it to me by Wed, 3/16/11.

    If you want to see what I've got started, go to gretnatrails.blogspot.com

    Thanks everyone, Doxrides
    SAMBA PR guy

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10
    1. Wife and I Travel from York (more frequently now since our Co. Parks apparently are never going to open again. )
    2. We sometimes hit the little place at 241 and 117 for a bite to eat on the way home, other than that gas for the car.. no bike parts unless I break something.
    3. I think it makes sense to have a few foot only paths from the parking areas to the tower, because those are really the only trails that see THAT much foot traffic, and there is less chance for conflict with people out for a walk with the family if they have a way to get up there without having to worry about bikers bombing down the hill. The single track should all be multi-use IMHO.
    4. When I first started riding there I wouldn't have given it much thought, but recently I have been out there at least once a week, if not more, and I am starting to wish there was more to ride. If there was I am sure I would go even more often than I already do.
    5. I love Gov. Dick, SAMBA does a great job with those well maintained, very well marked trails, expanding would make a great thing even greater. I would pitch in and help with the trails to make it happen.

    EDIT: My name is Jon, and like I said I live in the York area.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    I have been thinking about an idea for Gretna and I have a good suggestion. I think us bikers should try to get permission for ALL trails to be open for a weekend or two a year. This will allow bikers to come from all over and get a real experience on what the trails there have to offer. All I am asking really is if they could open the trails for 1 or 2 weekends a year and let them get some real use for what they were once intended for.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    28
    1. How far do/did you travel? From Harrisburg
    2. What were your expenditures related to your visit to the park? (specific as you like; where you ate, if you needed new bike parts afterwords, etc.) Food Only - Mt Gretna Pizza, Jigger Shop.
    3. What is your impression if the "foot travel only" trail restrictions? Foot Travel trails need to be maintained foot travel only.
    4. Would an expanded trail system impact your decision to visit again? Not really. Mostly novice riding is my skill level.
    5. Other comments? Like the idea of an orginzied bike event. One or two day group event.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415
    I have been thinking about an idea for Gretna and I have a good suggestion. I think us bikers should try to get permission for ALL trails to be open for a weekend or two a year. This will allow bikers to come from all over and get a real experience on what the trails there have to offer. All I am asking really is if they could open the trails for 1 or 2 weekends a year and let them get some real use for what they were once intended for.
    I had ridden here last year for the first "from Reading" and don't see myself coming back soon,and have heard this from other riders too.other then the interesting tech section and to short single track the rest is mediocre at best I can go to blue marsh and get a more satisfying ride and thats saying a lot.but I understand that at one time there was much more to ride,bring more trail and tech sections to the table and myself and others could be enticed to come back.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    I just got into mountain biking about a year and a half ago so I never got to ride the trails that are now closed. I am only 15 but I like to ride technical stuff just like everyone else. Even though some of the trails are closed, 15 and 4 are still great to do and I find Gretna fun to ride even though it is short sometimes and I wish there was more to ride every time I go but thats not keeping me from riding there.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  7. #7
    247
    247 is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    I live at the opposite end of Lancaster (from Lebanon) so it is a 45 minute ride from here, I can get to Philly in 45 minutes (and ride the Wiss), because all I hear about is trail closings there.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,314
    I drove there from Quakertown, Bucks Co. and met up with my sister and her husband to ride there for the first time last July just after those bad thunderstorms and maybe a small tornado went through that area - lots of branches down and some washouts.

    We were there on a stinkin' hot weekday afternoon - the visitor's center was closed and of course we discovered a lot of trails were closed both on the Game Lands side of Pinch as well as the park side. Really no one around to ask when you're at that lot at the top of Pinch - obviously our infoprmation on the open trail system was reallyout-of-date. We ended up not knowing where to go and ended up riding some fireroad between Pinch and Dinosaur Rock which was at least a little interesting.

    Of course we didn't know about Trail 15 or whatever it is and wherever it is. I have no doubt there's some really cool stuff there - I've read on here about it from locals. However, the feeling that lots of stuff is now closed to mtbrs and the lack of information if you're from out-of-the-area isn't helpful. We left disappointed and a little annoyed. Ate at a Golden Corral in some shopping center and got the hell out of there.

    Bottom line - IMHO Mt. Gretna is a beautiful area but it feels a little "locals-only" when you're riding down Pinch Road trying to figure out where to get into the woods on legal trails. Definitely other areas to ride that are more user-friendly.

    Oh, apparently if you're a hiker or a hunter that place is really for you.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dietz31684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    I drove there from Quakertown, Bucks Co. and met up with my sister and her husband to ride there for the first time last July just after those bad thunderstorms and maybe a small tornado went through that area - lots of branches down and some washouts.

    We were there on a stinkin' hot weekday afternoon - the visitor's center was closed and of course we discovered a lot of trails were closed both on the Game Lands side of Pinch as well as the park side. Really no one around to ask when you're at that lot at the top of Pinch - obviously our infoprmation on the open trail system was reallyout-of-date. We ended up not knowing where to go and ended up riding some fireroad between Pinch and Dinosaur Rock which was at least a little interesting.

    Of course we didn't know about Trail 15 or whatever it is and wherever it is. I have no doubt there's some really cool stuff there - I've read on here about it from locals. However, the feeling that lots of stuff is now closed to mtbrs and the lack of information if you're from out-of-the-area isn't helpful. We left disappointed and a little annoyed. Ate at a Golden Corral in some shopping center and got the hell out of there.

    Bottom line - IMHO Mt. Gretna is a beautiful area but it feels a little "locals-only" when you're riding down Pinch Road trying to figure out where to get into the woods on legal trails. Definitely other areas to ride that are more user-friendly.

    Oh, apparently if you're a hiker or a hunter that place is really for you.

    You def need to go there with someone who knows the area. It took me about 5 rides to discover trail 15 and 13...those are the true gems. Not worth riding for sure if you dont hit those. I pedal to the top at least once evertime there solely to bomb down 9 also. I need to hook up with some locals who have permission to ride the trails on private property too...i hear they are great. (local717 is always offering and I really need to take him up on it)

  10. #10
    I'm Local
    Reputation: Local717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    181
    If you go to samba's website, click here and download a map of the area. All the trails on Gov Dick are numbered. Once you look at the map and look for the markers, it's not to hard to navigate the park.

    However, it's always good to hook up with locals to show you around any new riding spot no matter where it is.

    And with that being said, I'm always down to show people around. I have a bike for any style of riding that can happen on the Mt. so just tell me what your flavor is and we can get down

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    Are you guys talking about riding on the other side of pinch rd? I have ridden the fire road once but want to figure out where the single track trail goes.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  12. #12
    CC
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    182
    There's nothing wrong with "Foot Travel only" trails.

    That's a good idea...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    Why is it such a great idea? Mountain bikers lost some of the best trails there and rides have gotten a lot shorter. Since they were closed, 15 was opened up but we still can't cover as much anymore.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  14. #14
    CC
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415
    Why is it such a great idea? Mountain bikers lost some of the best trails there and rides have gotten a lot shorter. Since they were closed, 15 was opened up but we still can't cover as much anymore.
    Sorry Rad.....maybe i'm not up on the latest. There have been a few "Foot only" trails for the last couple years, that made sense....but it has become more restrictive....?...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    Well they closed trails that once allowed you to make a loop that made sense. Trails that are waaay out in the woods were closed and a nice downhill trail was closed. The trails off of the top of my head that are foot travel now are 1 (which should be closed), 2, 7, 12, part of 13(why!), 14. I hope things turn around and we somehow get trails back eventually at least 12!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  16. #16
    CC
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rider 415
    Well they closed trails that once allowed you to make a loop that made sense. Trails that are waaay out in the woods were closed and a nice downhill trail was closed. The trails off of the top of my head that are foot travel now are 1 (which should be closed), 2, 7, 12, part of 13(why!), 14. I hope things turn around and we somehow get trails back eventually at least 12!
    ..that is bad...Sorry to hear that, i haven't been over there for over a year....

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    Still a great place to ride and its so awesome there I wish there was more to ride. If you haven't ridden there in a while, you should make sure you hit 15 if you haven't before.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,314
    Sure sounds like more stuff there is closing than opening which is a shame since from what the locals there are saying there's some good stuff I never got a chance to see when I was there.

    If anyone from around Mt.Gretna is ever on their way to the northern Philly suburbs, the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area, or N.J./N.Y. we're in the process of finishing nearly ten miles of great brand-new woodsy mtb.-specific lakeviewXC trails at Nockamixon State Park near Quakertown, PA. Riders are giving great reviews on it - would love to give a tour of it in exchange of helping me find the right stuff (Trail 15) out there next time I'm out there.

  19. #19
    I'm Local
    Reputation: Local717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    Sure sounds like more stuff there is closing than opening which is a shame since from what the locals there are saying there's some good stuff I never got a chance to see when I was there.

    If anyone from around Mt.Gretna is ever on their way to the northern Philly suburbs, the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area, or N.J./N.Y. we're in the process of finishing nearly ten miles of great brand-new woodsy mtb.-specific lakeviewXC trails at Nockamixon State Park near Quakertown, PA. Riders are giving great reviews on it - would love to give a tour of it in exchange of helping me find the right stuff (Trail 15) out there next time I'm out there.
    Just let me know when you can make it out.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    If you guys need anyone to ride with when you all ride together, let me know.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Local717
    Just let me know when you can make it out.
    Cool, wouldn't be until this summer.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    9
    1. How far do/did you travel? - 5 miles or so (from Lebanon City)
    2. What were your expenditures related to your visit to the park? (specific as you like; where you ate, if you needed new bike parts afterwords, etc.) - None really
    3. What is your impression if the "foot travel only" trail restrictions? - Didn't bother me. Allows people to walk without having to worry about riders.
    4. Would an expanded trail system impact your decision to visit again? - Expanded as in more trails, I would definately enjoy that. I am already planning on visiting again.
    5. Other comments? - SAMBA/Other trail maintainers do a great job. It was my first visit and I was worried about staying on trails but they were pretty well marked. There are some that I thought I was lost on but found my way anyway. Accidentally ended up on trail 4 and went OTB at the large rock drop. I was able to walk away unharmed. Had a great time overall and will be returning again.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    Don't forget there is a night ride at Governor Dick this Friday. We will me allowed on ALL trails for this event ONLY!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1

    This is my life

    Most individuals presume that smoking cigarettes per se is all in regards towards the consumption of nicotine uggbaileybuttonaustraliasale com/]Ugg Boots Sale Uk In this particular state of affairs, it turns into a case of abnormal consuming uggsbootsalesss com/]Uggs Boot Sale Let us be realistic uggsforcheaponclearances com/]Uggs For Cheap You understand what it type of does, although not like a lot as you think uggsshopforsales com/]Uggs Men Take into consideration this to get a instant what diverse activity do folks interact in that requires the identical sorts of capabilities onsaleuggsshops com/]Discount On Uggs They call for exactly the same types of mimicking expertise as smoking uggsinukclearances com/]Buy Uggs They demand the identical varieties of mimicking expertise as cigarette smoking uggsalemoccasinsbailey com/]Ugg Moccasins In any situation, they do have nicotine within their applications tend not to they uggsofaustraliaclassics com/]Classic Uggs Therefore the solution towards the exclusive query of "If I stop trying smoking will I put on weight" is you will in case you change your consuming routines by substituting calories for nicotine uggbootkidsboots com/]Ugg Boot That is when compulsive consuming commences taking the place simply because the "oral motion" substitutes uggsinukclearances com/]Clearance Uggs

  25. #25
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    8,463

    Good job!

    1. How far do/did you travel?
    2. What were your expenditures related to your visit to the park? (specific as you like; where you ate, if you needed new bike parts afterwords, etc.)
    3. What is your impression if the "foot travel only" trail restrictions?
    4. Would an expanded trail system impact your decision to visit again?
    5. Other comments?


    Being a person who heads the Mt biking/trail building/maintenance group in NEPA I can say from my experiences we travel quite a bit and, Mt Gretna is about 200 miles round trip, well worth the ride and we usually visit a few times a year, with other members of our ride group.

    Buying gas and food were the main expenses, varying on the number of people we go with, from 4 to 8 riders so estimating that, about 30 dollars per person was spent considering breakfast and dinner were our food needs. Bike repairs and wear was handled back at our home area, at local shops or by personal repairs.

    Others who walk or hike have every right to a trail they can enjoy too, without the mt bikers on it. No problem with that one for me.

    I can speak from a personal point of view on this one, having built trails in many locations and every time it was a good venture for all who supported it, and had the vision to capitalize on their own opportunity,(meaning bikes shops local businesses and gas/convenience stores), so with that said, expanded trails are great, and it would not only benefit our traveling to Mt Gretna by making it more interesting, but far more important is with a large population center nearby it would be better, as this allows more users to ride more trails, attracting more users to purchase goods around the area. The only exception is that the local trail maintenance crew would have more work, but they do a great job everywhere in that area so I see no problem with that, and I would like to see more trails.

    I would like to personally thank everyone who takes care of the trails.
    Great Job!...

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    57
    One simple thing you could do to double your traffic is to become dog friendly. PA is so draconian about dogs restrictions it's overkill. I spent 2 weeks in Germany where they allow dogs in fine restaurants even, and no one had any problems with it. The nature areas the dogs ran free and unleashed. You guys could start a positive trend!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    483
    We should just have "biker only trails" if the Hikers have "foot travel only trails". It is not fair that hikers/walkers have no restrictions.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,741
    1. 90 Minutes from Allentown to downtown Lancaster to pick up a friend, then the ride from there to the park
    2. Gas; Food and drink in downtown Lancaster afterwords
    3. I thought the foot travel only trails were silly, as it seemed like they were some of the more interesting biking trails, and I saw not one person on foot there when I visited (only bikers). The only trail segregation I know of otherwise pertains to equestrians; and I don't like riding on equestrian trails anyway.
    4. Absolutely- I enjoyed what I rode but felt it was a little too anti-mtb overall to make a repeat 3-4 hour round trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.