AKA; Jimmy Tango

Fat Biking on Snow-mobile trails

I live in Lancaster. Does anyone know about riding on PA's snowmobile trails? I called Laurel Hill State Park today asking if this would be allowed. They said they would call back. Person I spoke with was unfamiliar with "fat biking".

I agree that I should email someone with more info for them to reference to make a better judgement call.

I am curious if anyone knows definitively regarding riding bikes on the groomed snow mobile trails?

I am sure that fellow cyclists that would like to use OUR State's trails and would certainly give right of way on trails to the snow-mobiles, and I bet many of us would even contribute on some financial level towards the use of said trails.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I have done so...
    ...and did get out of the way usually with a friendly pull up, and ask "What kinda bike is that?" There are not that many fat bike riders around my area, so it never seemed to be a problem. As said there are snowmobilers who go quite fast even though the regulated speed is 25 mph which is pretty boring, so you would be at their mercy as far as being hit. They do pay registration and are required to have insurance. I don't go out unless there is 4 or more inches of pack. Snowmachines require at least 4 inches of packed snow to operate without wearing everything out, so if there is only a trace of snow you will have the trails to yourself.

I have seen two different snow trails one with "joint use with autos" and "snowmobile only trails"

It never bothered me to see others on snowmobile trails such as xc skiers and I always slow way down when passing them and wave as I pass them!

Trails open the day after the last day of Pennsylvania's regular or extended rifle deer season and close April 1, or earlier as determined by the district forester.

Check here:
    State Game Lands

State Forest Snowmobile Trails - Maps and Trail Conditions - PA DCNR

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Snowmobile trails are multi-use. I ride often and highly recommend flashing front and rear lights at all hours because visibility with snow, mist and fogged lenses.

I have never had anything but great interactions with machine riders. My only real issues is that everyone wants to stop and talk when I just want to ride!

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Thanks alot for the feedback!! Really appreciate it
    Ben

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Fatbiked last January with a large group on the D & L railtrail from White Haven south to Rockport in the Lehigh Gorge just north of Jim Thorpe which allows snowmachines and is nicely groomed.

Coexisted with them and the crosscountry skiers just fine. Beautiful scenery too.