fat bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: fat bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

fat bike

I am looking to buy a fat bike. Does anyone have any suggestions? Brand? Where to buy it from? Also can u ride these bikes year long, or are they mostly for the winter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Tree:

Last year i picked up a MINNESOTA 2.0 from Framed Bikes. Mn2new | Framed Bikes
    I have really been enjoying it to get out and ride in the winter when the snow is on the ground. I do find myself riding it throughout all seasons if i want to get out for a quick spin around the area fields when i want a change from my Trek Superfly full squishy. Its allot of fun and a completely different feel. The looks from neighbors are pretty priceless too

fat bike-img_20141126_154853_533.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat bike-img_20141126_154853_533.jpg  

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by treeleaf26 View Post
    I am looking to buy a fat bike. Does anyone have any suggestions? Brand? Where to buy it from? Also can u ride these bikes year long, or are they mostly for the winter.
    I know that both Around Town Bikes in Wilkes-Barre and Sickler's Cycles (various locations including Kingston, Clarks Summit) carry phat bikes. ATB recently had a show-off day in Kirby Park actually.

There's a small number of people in the area that have them and ride them all year around, I expect that to happen more now with the Salsa Bucksaw out on the market.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Around Town Bikes located in Wilkes Barre has KHS and Specialized and we have rentals if ya just wanna try one! 570 970 3008

Join up here for local riding info and a great place to ride:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ridedamoon/?ref=bookmarks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Cool. Awesome bike. I gotta get myself one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey Tree, I am down in SE PA, but bought a fattie a couple of months ago. I ended up buying the Fatboy from the big (evil?) S. It's all I could find from a LBS at the time. A friend of mine just picked up a Trek Farley, while a 3rd member of our group ordered from Bikes Direct.
    Like most on here, I recommend supporting a LBS with your purchases. I haven't ridden my FS bike since getting the fattie. First ride in snow was last weekend, and it barely counted (trails were only 75% snow covered). The bike is still fun to ride on dirt, and has made my local trails more interesting and challenging. Get a decent tire pressure gauge (good for low pressure) as your tire pressure is very important to ride quality.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Like most on here, I recommend supporting a LBS with your purchases.
    Nice comment, going to an LBS you'll instantly gain many new friends and info on the local scene! Props and rep +1!

bigger than you.
    Bell's Bike Shop in Philly carries 9:Zero:7 and will be able to get the new Pivot Les Fat when it's available. I believe they may be eager to move their 9:Zero:7 framesets.

mtbr member

fat bike

I'm full time fat bike and not looking back. I purchased a trek farley with the intent to ride it last winter only. Then the bluto came out in the spring and it was a game changer for me. The trails I ride in the Midwest are perfect for full time fat biking.

I find the bike shines in super technical rocky trails and tight twisty single track. The farley is basically a fat tire trail bike !!

Marty-MJ
    www.garagescene.net
    MJ
    14 Farley,Bluto,i9-27.5FatBNimbles
    16 Farley5,CarbonFork,27.5x4.5Barbegazi
    16 Farley9.6,Bluto,Onyx-26JumboJims

The White Jeff W
    Check out the fat bike trader facebook page. There's always good deals on fat bikes on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fatbiketrader/
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sweet looking ride Way2Many.
    I am still enjoying the fully rigid, but want to try a Bluto eventually. The bucksaw has me a bit worried for my wallet. I'm still in awe at the grip of ground control tires, and assume most of the newer tire offerings are about as nice. I imagine a FS fatbike is so much fun.

my church is the woods
    Make sure you demo some fatties before you buy.

I've done 3 fat rides on 3 different fat bikes so far. A Surly Pug Ops, a Borealis carbon wonderbike, and Charge Cooker.
    My feelings about riding fatbikes are; if I lived in a place with months of snow every winter, and a fat bike was the only way to ride, I could do it. But otherwise, my normal mtn bike (Cannondale Jekyll Carbon) is so much more playful and fun to ride on trail. The fat bike thing just isn't for me, but that's okay because now I don't have to buy another bike. And I know this only because I borrowed/demo'd a few to see if I liked it.

Also, with so many friends now on fat bikes this winter, there's been quite a few miles long walks out of the woods for them when they get a flat. I guess that's what those big frame bags are for, to carry around an air compressor. lol!

mtbr member

fat bike

Wrc2006 - Thank you very much. I really enjoy the bike.

Tubeless tires are a great upgrade and pretty much prevent all flats.

And not sure why your friends would walk out because of a flat. A pump and a patch is all it takes to fix a flat on any bike including a fat bike.

Marty-MJ
    www.garagescene.net
    MJ
    14 Farley,Bluto,i9-27.5FatBNimbles
    16 Farley5,CarbonFork,27.5x4.5Barbegazi
    16 Farley9.6,Bluto,Onyx-26JumboJims

mtbr member
    First time I ever saw a Fat Bike - I figured it was one of those bikes that a person who doesn't actually ride, rides.

I now own a Farley 8. EXCELLENT machine. I have not ridden my Fuel since I got the Farley (Late November). The bike is so incredibly capable, fun, and nimble. I got it to be able to ride all winter, and instead, I will be selling my Cannondale hardtail. I will be riding the Farley throughout the year, and enjoying every minute of it. It is NOT as capable as my Fuel (of course), but it is an incredibly capable and fun machine. I am EXTREMELY happy I went up on models and got he Bluto. That fork makes the bike all season enjoyable, not just a slow winter bike.

mtbr member
    I got a Fatboy last winter to ride in the snow. I put a Bluto on it this summer and now my carbon Rocky Mountain Element hangs in the garage.