Events happening mid-March to mid-April?- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Events happening mid-March to mid-April?

I'll be coming home from AK this spring. My parents live near Wilkes-Barre and I was wondering what events are happening around the area. Any mtb fests? Thanks.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Since no reply....

No "Fests" and the one in Jim Thorpe just ended after it's 20th year. (held in June) Stay on this PA board though. Drop a couple of lines. I'm SURE that you can find someone up in your area willing to take you out to show you the "good stuff" within a short distance from your parents. If you're into racing, (I'm not, personally.) Check out the Mid-Atlantic Super Series. I believe that they kick off their racing season around then. First race is at French Creek State Park near Elverson, PA. (South Eastern PA) Unsure of the web site as I write this but Google it and I'm sure you will find things out. The riding at French Creek is pretty good! (My main ride.) A little bit of a hike for you but, combine it with a visit to one of the area's many micro brewers, (Stoudts in Adamstown, one in Reading, PA or the Bethlehem Brew Works on your way home.) and you have a full day's worth to do! Also, check out South Mountain Cycles in Emmaus, PA. (If you do a search, make sure to put in "Emmaus, PA as there is a SMC in AZ.) Group rides, etc. Won't be super far to travel. OR, just head to Thorpe...Much to ride. Blue Mountain Cycles in town will set you up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    One notable event, that more or less kicks off the spring riding season is the Bicycle Flea Markets at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome, it's on Saturday, April 22, 2006, ... although their website hasn't been updated yet: http://lvvelo.org/fleamarkets.php

This is very worth while, great bargains to be had. Here's a old tread with some insights on getting there early: Lehigh Valley Velodrome Flea Market

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

XCoalMiner....Nice...good point!

Yeah. Want to be around some bike minded folks? The Swap is the place to go.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Just saw your signature....

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I'll be coming home from AK this spring. My parents live near Wilkes-Barre and I was wondering what events are happening around the area. Any mtb fests? Thanks.
    I posted those..."check out this microbrew...etc." things just out of my own love of beer. Then, I saw your signature...Less gears, more beers... Lots going on around Wilkes-Barre. Lion Head Brewery has been doing some contract brewing in addition to their cheap, yet tasty at times, brew. Hmmm, now. Where to tell you to go? Don't get up that way much. One place in the Pocono's....restaurant/brewery...riding is good around there...around Camelback...near the outlets....
    Enough from me!

May 2004
    The Bar is Barley Creek. It's always a stop after all the singletrack at camelback(trying to get it approved by PGC)

If you looking to give yourself a temperature check there are the march criterium training series in the lehigh valley.

http://www.lehighwheelmen.org/images/pdf/fly-march.pdf

it's roadie stuff, but with the iffy weather the road bike has been sometimes our best friends.

Need UCSF liscence but is great to have a weekly goal

take care and thanks for posting.

joe
    just ridin' these days.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Thanks

I plan to check out the local microbrews since I haven't been back when I was legal drinking age. I might try to catch one of those events. Let me know if there are any more!

ganginwood

drinking/riding

i'm originally from w-b but now live closer to dushore/wyalusing. we have some great mtn biking off of 487. probably about 35 minute drive from w-b.
    send me a pm and we'll chew the fat.
    as for good drinks in w-b. elmer sudds and the river street ale house have your best selections of micro-brews. there is also a brew pub (the bull frog) in willimsport.

as for the racing, visit www.masuperseries.com

the hershy race is pretty good and close to w-b. the danville course is 18 miles of s-track with a lot of climbing.
    cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The bull frog brewery in Williamsport is a cool spot to hang out in after a ride. I've see a few MTBers in there every so often when I stop in.

Members who have read this thread: 0