Thread: Erie, PA

mtbr member

Erie, PA

I'll be taking a vacation in Erie, PA next week. Planning on taking the road bike because, well.....you can pretty much ride a road bike anywhere there are roads. But I would rather be on the MTB if there are any good trails nearby. I'll be staying near Presque State Park. I see on Strava that there is a little park (Scott Park) that appears to have some singletrack. Looks very small network. Not sure that would be worth bringing the bike up for. Is there anything else near by?
    uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Asbury park ,small trail system
    Pymatuning SP small trail system

Best bet is to head on over the border into Ohio or southern Pa
    Check out CAMBA

mtbr member
    As expected. It doesn't sound very appealing. I'll be vacationing with the family so I don't want to or should not be spending all day away riding my bike. So I don't want to have to travel far to ride. With the road bike I can go out and hit a 2hr ride and be back before anyone gets out of bed.

Hermit
    Erie isn't exactly a hot spot for mtb, but there are a couple of possibilities.

Check mtb project, and you'll see that there are a couple of small trails in the immediate area - Scott Park, McClelland Park, Harborcreek Park, Behrend. Then there's Howard Eaton Reservoir, to the east by the state line, which has about 9 miles of trails.

Head east about an hour and there is a real trail network at Harris Hill Extension Forest, near Gerry, NY. Good stuff there.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I've talked myself into leaving the mountain bike at home and spend the week on the road. Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvmtb View Post
    I've talked myself into leaving the mountain bike at home and spend the week on the road. Thanks for the responses.
    If you can only bring one and don't feel like driving anywhere the road bike is your best choice. Pi is a great loop but if you've got the time/legs you can do some great 25-100 mile rides mostly on back roads.

mtbr member
    I'll be taking two on my hitch rack (mine & my wife's) but to haul the 3rd would require me to roll the tonneau cover up and leaving our luggage in the elements while traveling.
    I have plotted out a few different options ranging from 20-50 miles and uploaded to my GPS. Doubt I'll be hitting many backroads because I don't know the area. I'll probably do the touristy thing and just ride around town most of the time.

mtbr member
    I'll be taking two on my hitch rack (mine & my wife's) but to haul the 3rd would require me to roll the tonneau cover up and leaving our luggage in the elements while traveling.
    I have plotted out a few different options ranging from 20-50 miles and uploaded to my GPS. Doubt I'll be hitting many backroads because I don't know the area. I'll probably do the touristy thing and just ride around town most of the time.
    Well back road in the sense of not heavily traveled.

mtbr member
    I knew what you were saying. I don't like riding in heavy traffic. But I'll be doing most of my rides early in the morning so I hope to limit some of the traffic.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I have stayed at Pymatuning when fishing for Steelies and ridden Rt 7 in northeastern Ohio. Low traffic and nice scenery!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Route_7

mtbr member
    I knew what you were saying. I don't like riding in heavy traffic. But I'll be doing most of my rides early in the morning so I hope to limit some of the traffic.
    Yea you should be fine then just avoid 12th and 26th streets as much as possible.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    add...

Asbury Woods/ Brown's Farm Mountain Bike Trail in Erie, Pennsylvania || SINGLETRACKS.COM

Fun place to get a ride in, small, but lots of routes and great views of the creek, might even see a Steelie run going up stream.

A bit of a trip but fun here also!
    Royalview Mountain Bike Trail in Strongsville, Ohio || SINGLETRACKS.COM