The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC

Emmaus Pump Track

Was there a few times last year and had a great time.

Went back last week and it was really rough.

I originally heard the company that built it had a contract with the city to maintain it, but it looks like that isn't the case.

I saw a rake there and there is water available...would it be ok to try to clean it up and smooth it out without approval from the city?
    I've never done any pump track maintenance, but I'd be willing to try if someone gave me some tips

Steve

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm not around those parts anymore, but it would get that way from time to time. Still a 100% better experience than the Philly pumptrack. Hate to say it, but true. Emmaus is a breath of fresh air. No rules, no attitudes.

Anyway I'd say give it some time, or give the township a call to see if there is anything scheduled and/or if you can lend a hand. As far as I knew, Dave King's company built that track. Dude knows his s##t.

Where I'm at now has a pumptrack and dirt jumps that have full-on spine sets and they only 'recommend' helmets. It is awesome. Beyond words.

I guess why I'm saying all of this is to say just be patient at Emmaus. It's a really great spot, and you will randomly meet some great people there, all just having a blast without someone getting Nazi on them. ( I think you've already experienced that, but if I can help anyone save a trip, lol!!!l

Good luck with it brother.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I'm not around those parts anymore, but it would get that way from time to time. Still a 100% better experience than the Philly pumptrack. Hate to say it, but true. Emmaus is a breath of fresh air. No rules, no attitudes.

Anyway I'd say give it some time, or give the township a call to see if there is anything scheduled and/or if you can lend a hand. As far as I knew, Dave King's company built that track. Dude knows his s##t.

Where I'm at now has a pumptrack and dirt jumps that have full-on spine sets and they only 'recommend' helmets. It is awesome. Beyond words.

I guess why I'm saying all of this is to say just be patient at Emmaus. It's a really great spot, and you will randomly meet some great people there, all just having a blast without someone getting Nazi on them. ( I think you've already experienced that, but if I can help anyone save a trip, lol!!!l

Good luck with it brother.

Looks like doylestown okayed a pump track.
    Bucks County Herald - Doylestown okays bike track at Chapman Park Hopefully it is bigger than the Philly pump tack. Ideally it should be a little more than a pump track. Some skill stuff like skinnies. Wellington in breckenridge is a good example:.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jAndSmkAts
    even better yet would be the bike park in frisco.
    https://www.townoffrisco.com/play/biking/bike-park/

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    FWIW, it can be fun to build your own too if the wife doesn't mind sacrificing part of the backyard. 😉

Find a source of good clay and either an experienced friend or use Lee McCormack's "Pumptrack Nation" to set a good layout.

I wedged a 18' by 85' oval one into a tiny Bucks County backyard - two guys I know have built far larger ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
    Looks like doylestown okayed a pump track.
    Bucks County Herald - Doylestown okays bike track at Chapman Park Hopefully it is bigger than the Philly pump tack. Ideally it should be a little more than a pump track. Some skill stuff like skinnies. Wellington in breckenridge is a good example:.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jAndSmkAts
    even better yet would be the bike park in frisco.
    https://www.townoffrisco.com/play/biking/bike-park/
    Yessir!! Beyond awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    FWIW, it can be fun to build your own too if the wife doesn't mind sacrificing part of the backyard. 😉

Find a source of good clay and either an experienced friend or use Lee McCormack's "Pumptrack Nation" to set a good layout.

I wedged a 18' by 85' oval one into a tiny Bucks County backyard - two guys I know have built far larger ones.
    And maybe meet in the middle and landscape all around the jumps and rollers with flowers and what not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    And maybe meet in the middle and landscape all around the jumps and rollers with flowers and what not.
    anyone got any "pretty" backyard pump track pics? i got a big yard and would love to convince the wife we could have both a pumptrack and a useable yard.

philly also needs a second publically accessible pumptrack. that thing we have now is not useable by the community. really sad...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Do it Max, do it!!

On the other topic, do you think a second one would solve things? Philly's pumptrack was a buzzkill. Not because of neighborhood kids stealing bikes, or because of kids riding motos on the track, but because of the attitudes of those running it, and the fact it's in Philly....the most corrupt city in the country. Another pumptrack there isn't going to fix anything. Just like higher taxes didn't fix schools. They just fixed that 'having a few more dollars in your pocket' problem. Don't see another one solving anything unless its at your house.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Mine just has my kid's plastic play house, slide and stuff in the middle with a patch of grass for them to play on as required by the wife.

Outside edge is landscaped to screen it from the neighbors.

I get the clay for free from what's dug from new graves in a cemetery across the street from my development. My one friend calls my PT, "The Graveyard".

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    anyone got any "pretty" backyard pump track pics? i got a big yard and would love to convince the wife we could have both a pumptrack and a useable yard.

philly also needs a second publically accessible pumptrack. that thing we have now is not useable by the community. really sad...
    I didn't realize the one in Philly has such problems.

Fortunately, I live in the one part of Bucks County much closer to Emmaus than Philly anyway if I want something larger than the one in my backyard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mine just has my kid's plastic play house, slide and stuff in the middle with a patch of grass for them to play on as required by the wife.

Outside edge is landscaped to screen it from the neighbors.

I get the clay for free from what's dug from new graves in a cemetery across the street from my development. My one friend calls my PT, "The Graveyard".
    That is awesome. Every dirt spot needs a name and that one is about as good as they get.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I didn't realize the one in Philly has such problems.

Fortunately, I live in the one part of Bucks County much closer to Emmaus than Philly anyway if I want something larger than the one in my backyard.
    You are then also probably closer to two world class dirt spots if you get the hankering to get the wheels off the ground.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You are then also probably closer to two world class dirt spots if you get the hankering to get the wheels off the ground.
    Yeah, I'm 30 minutes away. Grew up in that area before moving to Upper Bucks. Decent scene.

What's cool is that it not just those two anymore since a couple other smaller ones with potential are now developing on the down-low. That's cool since they're basically replacing two others nearby that got bulldozed in the last year or so.

Respect to the old-school thinking guys at all of them who take care of business building quality and then have fun hitting it. No political BS - no drama.

"No dig. No ride."

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    That is awesome. Every dirt spot needs a name and that one is about as good as they get.
    Seriously, it sounds morbid but the clay 6 feet down is the good stuff. Anyone wanting to build a PT living near a cemetery should check out if they can get some from their dumping place. Pick through the sod and topsoil and sometimes you hit red gold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Regarding municipal pumptracks nationwide, it really matters who builds them, what material they use, and who's sticking around to give them the constant maintenance they needs if crappy weather and heavy use are factors.

If you don't have experienced designers/builders who actually ride, red clay with no sand or chippy gravel in it, and the dedicated no-drama local diggers to watch over it - ya got nothing.

Then the public asks their government leaders what the washed-out, weedy mess with mudholes inside every berm that no one uses is doing in their park. Pressure builds to get rid of it and put in a pickleball court or shuffleboard. Bikes get pushed out

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    At West Milford NJ there are tools by the bleachers, before you ride, help out. so if you see noobs just riding, make friends and teach them this lesson. You just made the track better for everyone, and everyone makes it better for you.

You give...
    You get...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Seriously, it sounds morbid but the clay 6 feet down is the good stuff. Anyone wanting to build a PT living near a cemetery should check out if they can get some from their dumping place. Pick through the sod and topsoil and sometimes you hit red gold.
    Oh dude, I absolutely agree. I once saw a geological map that showed that part of the country there had some seriously good dirt. Kind of a large swath that ran through PA and up into NJ.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    At West Milford NJ there are tools by the bleachers, before you ride, help out. so if you see noobs just riding, make friends and teach them this lesson. You just made the track better for everyone, and everyone makes it better for you.

You give...
    You get...
    You dig, you ride. Should be the only way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Philly's pumptrack was a buzzkill.
    i will say i totally agree but after learning more about how it was done and why/how it was funded i kind of understand it a little more. that doesn't excuse the fact there is a brilliant pumptrack we can basically never ride BUT it is a complicated story with reasons behind the seemingly never open status.

but that whole thing aside: philly could absolutely have a good open to the public pumptrack. as much as i love dirt i think the perfect thing in philly would be a paved track possibly integrated into a skatepark.

that way no one could mess it up without a hammer... look at paine skatepark down at the art museum. open 24/7 basically and the skaters take pretty good care of it! there are new skateparks being built all the time... i think integrating a pumptrack into the perimeter of a new park would be a great way to get more kids into the whole deal.
    Name:  Articel_PUMPTRACK_Article1.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  95.6 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Oh dude, I absolutely agree. I once saw a geological map that showed that part of the country there had some seriously good dirt. Kind of a large swath that ran through PA and up into NJ.
    That's where I live - my town was known for making bricks from that clay. The giant, waterfilled pits outside town that everyone four-wheels around late at night are still known as the Brickyards.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    .... after learning more about how it was done and why/how it was funded...seemingly never open status...
    Please elaborate if you will, Max. I'm wondering if my understanding is different than yours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's where I live - my town was known for making bricks from that clay. The giant, waterfilled pits outside town that everyone four-wheels around late at night are still known as the Brickyards.
    I feel fortunate to have started riding and building trails back there. Every secret spot we'd find to start digging at had just such good dirt. I miss those days like nobody's business. We'd spend nights until 3 am building with tiki torches. That and a case or two of Yuengling. Good times. Then we all had kids, lol!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, I'm 30 minutes away. Grew up in that area before moving to Upper Bucks. Decent scene.

What's cool is that it not just those two anymore since a couple other smaller ones with potential are now developing on the down-low. That's cool since they're basically replacing two others nearby that got bulldozed in the last year or so.

Respect to the old-school thinking guys at all of them who take care of business building quality and then have fun hitting it. No political BS - no drama.

"No dig. No ride."
    Clay I don't know how I missed this post. That is really awesome. Do you mind pm'ing me? I'm trying to get my buds to come out and ride this spot where I am, but on trips back, would like to check these spots on our old men with responsibilities getting away from the wives days. My bud Ed probably knows of them and the guys building.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the short story as i understand it is that it was sold more as a community improvement project than a public pumptrack. Unfortunately that wasn't really understood by most of us during the building of it... So in the end it is more for the community than the public? i dunno but i am over it. we do still need a PUBLIC pumptrack though!

it did result in some awesome trails out in the woods surrounding the track so we got something good out of it!

i ride by it all the time and it looks sad with the blankets on the trails (protecting all the fragile clay?) and the new high fence guarding it from all us fun having hooligans who might poach it in the off hours... BUT i dunno; i DO think the people running it are doing the best they can with a sh!tty hand of cards they were dealt? what i have figured out is that it was way too fragile to be built where it was. if it were open to the public it would be TRASHED by now i think... to me cement would be the only solution to keeping something in philly that doesn't turn into a maintenance nightmare???

sorry for completely hijacking this thread. i hope to one day spend some time at a cool pumptrack; my hope for one in philly in the near future is not high though. luckily we have lots of good trail to keep us busy ;-P

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Slightly different tangent, but we should drive for a 'skills park' not a simple pump track. A pump track would just be one component of it. There should be some skinnies, plus dual slalom runs or something people can get a little air off of(think table tops). I think after a vacation in breckenridge/frico my expectations are a little higher.

Matt

the short story as i understand it is that it was sold more as a community improvement project than a public pumptrack. Unfortunately that wasn't really understood by most of us during the building of it... So in the end it is more for the community than the public? i dunno but i am over it. we do still need a PUBLIC pumptrack though!

it did result in some awesome trails out in the woods surrounding the track so we got something good out of it!

i ride by it all the time and it looks sad with the blankets on the trails (protecting all the fragile clay?) and the new high fence guarding it from all us fun having hooligans who might poach it in the off hours... BUT i dunno; i DO think the people running it are doing the best they can with a sh!tty hand of cards they were dealt? what i have figured out is that it was way too fragile to be built where it was. if it were open to the public it would be TRASHED by now i think... to me cement would be the only solution to keeping something in philly that doesn't turn into a maintenance nightmare???

sorry for completely hijacking this thread. i hope to one day spend some time at a cool pumptrack; my hope for one in philly in the near future is not high though. luckily we have lots of good trail to keep us busy ;-P

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
    Slightly different tangent, but we should drive for a 'skills park' not a simple pump track. A pump track would just be one component of it. There should be some skinnies, plus dual slalom runs or something people can get a little air off of(think table tops). I think after a vacation in breckenridge/frico my expectations are a little higher.

Matt
    I was gonna say, sounds just like Frisco. Except Frisco has real sets. Not just table tops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    And its made of good old dirt. And its maintained by the township if you can even fathom it. And the folks that ride it and maintain it are about as down to earth as can be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

The for the community bit (in my experience) is utter BS. Unless you were a part of the community deemed as acceptable maybe?

Case in point. I saw Ken getting downright raw with some 'community members' that just came to use some loaner bikes. Full on barking at them that they weren't gonna unlock the trailer to let them use them. My son, wife and I stood there slack jawed. Wasn't that what that shitty pumptrack was for in the first place?? I then approached the kids (albeit they were a little rough around the edges) and said go ahead and use ours. Our 3 bikes together were worth about 3500. Ken tried to b!tch them out for using our bikes. I turned to Ken and firmly said that "I was letting them ride our bikes". He then turned down his tude.

Another time, and one of the last times we bothered even going, some fat, overly tattooed and pierced bagadonuts guy that was sitting like a lazy blob under the sign in tent, got clearly raw on some other 'brown' kids that came up to use the track. They did nothing wrong in the least, and clearly just as the kids I described above, seemed really uncomfortable just trying to ride a track that a bunch of jackasses (mayor included) fallated was for them and everyone to use. I felt my blood pressure going up as I I looked at this human pig. People have known me as having a short fuse...I did my absolute best to keep it doused with water when at that track. The attitudes I witnessed there deserved confrontation.

That track was bunk, too small, and operated as if you should grovel and be eternally grateful that you were even permitted to direct your gaze upon it. And that's if it was even open during open hours, during beautiful blue bird weather. At least when it was just the post and rail fence, you could jump the fence and ride it. During the days that I would ride it with my family, I would take it upon myself to shut things down for a bit and water the track. I know dirt and how to build and would have volunteered countless hours to maintain the place, but the arrogant and condescending attitudes of those that ran it combined with the contradiction of accepting all to ride, just made me say screw this place. On top of that, my son, then 6 said it was "boring". He wanted to learn to really jump dirt. That clinched it for me.

We then discovered Emmaus. Met some truly fantastic folks there, from everyday families, to a guy that worked for Red bull and put on a snowboard contest in the downtown of Easton. Always a good time.

As far as I'm concerned, we aren't hijacking this thread, lol!! We're proving that Emmaus is well worth the time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    jochribs - i was trying to be more diplomatic i guess; but definitely don't disagree or not believe anything you said. during the whole buildup i was busy with three young kids of my own so i could never make time to get down there. i always figured once things settled down the place would start to open up a little more but just the opposite has happened. i frequently ride the trials out by the pumptrack after work and can't tell you that i can even remember the last time i saw it open. i just keep seeing more and bigger covers on everything and higher fences; not things that gives me hope of riding it anytime soon.

i was down at paine park last night pretending i can skate; well after dark (when i can finally get out and have some time cause my kids are asleep), under perfect lights (no rules; just lots of stoked kids and a couple of us older folk having fun together), thinking again how awesome it would be if we could just have a bike version of that... it couldn't cost much more than what they dumped into that spot???

as to the bike park type lines; it has been discussed in the past and spots have even been proposed. I'll say; from what i heard, the people whom those spots were offered too never committed so the ideas never went anywhere.... you really need a big well organized group to do something big like a bike park type spot (SO MUCH WORK); or you need to raise a lot of money to throw at it.

where is our bikepark/skatepark building council person????? it really pisses me off how little is spent on the youth in philly. no wonder they have nothing better to do than ride wheelies in traffic...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ah, Max I hope you weren't thinking I was saying anything towards you or what you were saying was BS. If you did, I apologize, not what I meant at all.

I agree that you either need money to throw, or for a lot of people to do some hard work. And I think you just can't get involved with the money. It has to be the hard work. Once the money is involved, it is no longer what anyone wants. It's sold out. It's watered down. It's corporate. Its opening ceremonies and verbal fallacio.

Funny I've been skating a lot more now too. Son insists upon it. Lot of concrete parks where I am now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I joined my buddy on Friday and we trimmed/mowed about half of the track. The goal is to finish that up in preparation for the dirt arriving this week.

He took over the FB page and will begin making posts for upcoming work days. You can find it here. https://www.facebook.com/lowermacpumptrack/

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    It is a great place!

We didn't have any tools, but walked around chasing rocks off the lines.

We were there on Saturday...
    ...thanks for the work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ah, Max I hope you weren't thinking I was saying anything towards you or what you were saying was BS. If you did, I apologize, not what I meant at all.
    not at all. i very much appreciate hearing all sides of that soap opera. mostly to have it out in public so we don't have another project the mtb community wastes it's efforts on here in philly.

have fun at all those parks. we could use some more BIG concrete parks here in the city!

banned
    Nov 2008
    I was riding Belmont Plateau last month and took the trails down to the pump track. The track was open and the employee(woman) there offered me a chance to use the track, but I didn't feel like it. One local kid was using the track, doesn't seem like a very busy track at all. After talking with the worker that track seems like a maintenance nightmare for one person to run. She mentioned it takes 4-5 hours of work a day before it's ready to ride?
    She was cool and friendly to talk to though and seemed like she really cared about the track.

If it was a concrete park I really don't see why it couldn't be left open to public like Paines skatepark. It's interesting how clean that park stays, no broken glass or trash littered anywhere really. Complete utter respect for the place, says lot about who is using that park.

mtbr member
    I was at Emmaus pump track with my 6 year old on a random week day in May. We had a blast. The track was in really nice shape too. I figured the parks guys maintain it. So this kid shows up on bmx with his mom and his sister and is flying around the track, manualling through the rollers; he was really good. Then his mom takes a turn on his bike and she was cruising along nicely as well. It is a fun spot with nice people. If you have a little kid, they like the zip line too.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    interesting to hear the back story on the PPT. only been twice in two years and vibes were equally negative both times. In fact Ken (i believe) gave me the same line each time about how dangerous the large track was and how people are sent to the hospitol multiple times a week. all because my son wanted to ride it.

emmaus is great though. wish it was closer by, but appreciate whoever steps in to do maintenance!