Eastern PA this weelend?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Eastern PA this weelend?

I have not been riding for a few months. With the warm temps coming this weekend, I was hoping to get out for a ride. Is there anywhere in good condition that is open? I was thinking about Trexler but it was a mess the last time I was there.

Would Raystown be worth the drive or is it too wet/snowy?

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i'm considering trexler this weekend as well. given the warmer temps and that by satruday it will have been at least 5 days without precipitation, i'd say there's a good chance the trails would be OK, hopefully someone else can chime in with actual trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Trexler always seemed to drain well. The last time I was there (almost a year ago) there were woodchips everywhere and trails were closed. Is it still like that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would think that most trails will be in pretty good shape this weekend. The exception will probably be Nockamixon as that has had a seasonal closure in effect for a while. Wiss, Belmont, should be good. I'm personally hitting White Clay / Middle Run on Sunday (Although I hear Bryan's Field and Whitley Farms Trails will be closed due to construction). Green Lane might be a bit soft due to horse traffic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Trex has snow slowly melting on it all week as does most of the trails around it. Anything clay based will be soft, so yeah the weather is great but it's a perfect storm for trail rutting. Beautiful weather melting snow for days on already saturated ground. I don't know about wiss and the more southern trails. Haven't been down that way. Sals and emmaus have slush cover on 80% of their surfaces currently since they don't get direct sunlight. It's good NOX is closed since it probably couldn't be more saturated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    French Creek generally drains fairly well, but will definitely have some sloppy areas. Mt. Penn also drains very well and will probably be in decent shape this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman521 View Post
    Trex has snow slowly melting on it all week as does most of the trails around it. Anything clay based will be soft, so yeah the weather is great but it's a perfect storm for trail rutting. Beautiful weather melting snow for days on already saturated ground. I don't know about wiss and the more southern trails. Haven't been down that way. Sals and emmaus have slush cover on 80% of their surfaces currently since they don't get direct sunlight. It's good NOX is closed since it probably couldn't be more saturated.

i'm about an hour south of trex, and not far from wiss. snow has been more or less gone since the rain this past sunday, at least down this way.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Moosic Mt, Merli, Moon, more northern, for the most part have melting snow, and rideable. Lackawanna pretty wet right now!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    a coworker hiked marsh yesterday, he said overall the trails are good, but the low spots need the lake are soft n sloppy

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkranked View Post
    i'm about an hour south of trex, and not far from wiss. snow has been more or less gone since the rain this past sunday, at least down this way.
    If you're not far from Wiss than you might not realize the snow has taken longer to melt north of the immediate Philly suburbs like from Quakertown on north.

All the water from that snow plus various rainfalls continues to sit in poorly-drained claybased trailtread just below the surface.

Lots of cloudy days and night/day freeze-thaw cycles aren't helping either. Winter's like that around here.

The reality is that just because it's warm out this weekend doesn't mean people should ride everything. There are places you will rut. I'm riding railtrails, towpaths, or taking the fatbike to the Poconos for snow to avoid doing just such damage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    A number of people are mentioning that many local trails have "sloppy areas".

Too many people riding too soon widen and extend these areas by riding the sides to avoid the mud thus breaking down the trail edges and/or extending tire ruts out of mudholes allowing water to follow and soften up immediate adjacent sections of previously-dry trail.

People are not helping the trailbuilders on their local trails by riding too soon whether they want to admit it or not.

Rolling on 650b
    Roaring creek and Rattling creek should be good. Rode Roaring creek on Tuesday. The valley floor was solid, with only patches of snow. Thehe ridge top was still snow covered. Thinking the ridge will be fine this weekend as it's all rock. Headed there Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    If you're not far from Wiss than you might not realize the snow has taken longer to melt north of the immediate Philly suburbs like from Quakertown on north.

All the water from that snow plus various rainfalls continues to sit in poorly-drained claybased trailtread just below the surface.

Lots of cloudy days and night/day freeze-thaw cycles aren't helping either. Winter's like that around here.

The reality is that just because it's warm out this weekend doesn't mean people should ride everything. There are places you will rut. I'm riding railtrails, towpaths, or taking the fatbike to the Poconos for snow to avoid doing just such damage.

yea i haven't been up that way lately, wasn't sure how much snowfall they'd gotten last week. hence been trying to get some reports from up that way.

this week wound up being colder than expected (down here at least); so i'm not expected as much dryout as there would have been if it was warmer. playing it by ear.

re: the sloppy areas at marsh: the way that trail network is setup there's some routes you can take to avoid the soft/wet/sloppy spots, for the most part.

but yea, agree that some trails just aren't gonna be suitable for riding, despite the warm temps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    yea i haven't been up that way lately, wasn't sure how much snowfall they'd gotten last week. hence been trying to get some reports from up that way.

this week wound up being colder than expected (down here at least); so i'm not expected as much dryout as there would have been if it was warmer. playing it by ear.

re: the sloppy areas at marsh: the way that trail network is setup there's some routes you can take to avoid the soft/wet/sloppy spots, for the most part.

but yea, agree that some trails just aren't gonna be suitable for riding, despite the warm temps.
    Agreed. I am in the Upper Bucks/Mont-Lehigh Valley region and typically it takes a little longer to warm up, thaw out, dry up here than down there.

That top dry clay crust on the trail at the trailhead can really fool guys into thinking its drier than it is, they start riding, but feel committed since they're there and don't turn around when things go south.

Solid ridgetop rockgarden or pure sand riding like the Pine Barrens really is the only way to ride singletrack sustainably this time of year in our miserable winter climate of rain and temp extremes.

wounded knee
    Anyone know the conditions of Swatara ?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The trailbuilders at Trexler have just posted requesting people NOT ride there this weekend. Snow just melted and its wet there. Please help these guys out.

I just rode the D&L towpath in Bethlehem and it's soft. My fatbike (4.8" tires) barely leaving a mark but skinny tire mtbs are rutting even that. Things really are wet up this way. Singletrack will absolutely need a break.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Rode the Wiss yesterday and it was pretty good. Only a couple of greasy spots on 12 mile ride with trail conditions mostly dry and firm.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/869972419
    Its gonna be crazy out there today with hikers, horses and bikes so I'm taking the cross bike out on the Perky for some mileage then hitting Middle Run De on Sunday.

Rolling on 650b
    Rode Roaring creek Sunday. Didn't run across a soft spot on any of the singletrack on the east side of rte 42. Ventured into the west side a bit, but found it mushy and turned around.

mtbr member
    Moosic is snow covered yet and will be draining for a month (natural springs) at least. Though Conglomerate, The View and Stonehenge are fine in this weather, it will lead you to the power lines which will be temporary creek beds. Though you can try to ride them if you'd like, we ask that you stay off of Blueberry and Waterfall indefinitely.
    The lower trails that are tree covered will still have snow covering them for a while. (One Last Climb, Gene's, Connors, White Birch, the Pines, Waterfall)

Thanks, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    The trailbuilders at Trexler have just posted requesting people NOT ride there this weekend. Snow just melted and its wet there. Please help these guys out.

I just rode the D&L towpath in Bethlehem and it's soft. My fatbike (4.8" tires) barely leaving a mark but skinny tire mtbs are rutting even that. Things really are wet up this way. Singletrack will absolutely need a break.
    i saw the same thing.

caught word the marsh creek was a mud pit (despite conflicting prior reports) so avoided it.

wound up taking out the road (cross) bike. poked my head onto the valley forge trails to see how they were, still on the soft side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    i saw the same thing.

caught word the marsh creek was a mud pit (despite conflicting prior reports) so avoided it.

wound up taking out the road (cross) bike. poked my head onto the valley forge trails to see how they were, still on the soft side.
    The right thing to do

I went to Promised Land and fatbiked 5" of snow on snowmachined groomed trails Saturday and ice biked the lake with 10" of ice while it was sunny and 58 degrees. Followed by a burger and beer at a restaurant overlooking Lake Wallenpaupak. Really cool.

Awesome time up there while avoiding rutting anyone's trails around SE PA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Moosic is snow covered yet and will be draining for a month (natural springs) at least. Though Conglomerate, The View and Stonehenge are fine in this weather, it will lead you to the power lines which will be temporary creek beds. Though you can try to ride them if you'd like, we ask that you stay off of Blueberry and Waterfall indefinitely.
    The lower trails that are tree covered will still have snow covering them for a while. (One Last Climb, Gene's, Connors, White Birch, the Pines, Waterfall)

Thanks, Fahn
    Thanks for warning people about the two trails to avoid up there. I'm protective of my local trail not getting wrecked - I'd like to avoid damaging other people's too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    went to Mt. Penn and was greeted with perfect conditions, only soft spots were the routes directly from the parking lot near the sports fields since they are used by just about every rider.

mtbr member
    Mt Penn is full hero dirt status right now. Get it while is stays this good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Team _________