Eastern PA Advocacy/Trailbuilding summit.....would you attend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Eastern PA Advocacy/Trailbuilding summit.....would you attend

i usually do a trailbuilding presentation each year, but i was thinking about doing something different. To light the fire a little i thought about this......

9-11:30: Trailbuilding presentation: basic and advanced trail building

12-2pm Ride our new approved singletrack

3-5/6pm Advocacy summit
    -sharing best practices, how to get grant money, how to get organized.

We could also do it on the state level and have it somewhere around h-burg or rattling creek

would you all benefit from this/want to contribute/ want to attend????

mtbr member

Sure

I think that would be great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Where?

Hey there....where would the presentation be?

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    i usually do a trailbuilding presentation each year, but i was thinking about doing something different. To light the fire a little i thought about this......

9-11:30: Trailbuilding presentation: basic and advanced trail building

12-2pm Ride our new approved singletrack

3-5/6pm Advocacy summit
    -sharing best practices, how to get grant money, how to get organized.

We could also do it on the state level and have it somewhere around h-burg or rattling creek

would you all benefit from this/want to contribute/ want to attend????

mtbr member
    If we focus on the eastern part we would have in the allentown/bethlehem area. We would have a classroom and new singletrack ride before the advocacy part.

it's 1 hr north of phila, 90min east of harrisburg, 1 hr south of the poconos

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd love to attend. The farther west the better

Freshly Fujified

Great idea.

Would love to attend, schedule permitting. Ride sounds great so long as the group is tolerant of us slow pokes.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    As long as I'm free on the date you pick I will be there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If its a meeting for Eastern advocacy- I will check my schedule.
    If it is for statewide advocacy- I will be there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Count me in.
    We have got to get our act together in PA and figure out how to keep/improve access.
    Fair Hill should have been a wake up call....yea, I know, it's MD, not PA, but it could have just as easily been _______ [fill in your favorite local trail].

those are Rollercams...
    Allentown/Bethlehem is no more than an hour for me, I work a lot of weekends but I would definately try to get there. Excellent format you've come up with.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Joe,

only one point to make on this format. by having trailwork then a ride, you get a lot of people who can justify leaving after the ride to themselves. they have busy lives, they did some good work, they really don't want to sit around and listen to people talk. they really just want to get home, have a cold one and throw the wife a bone with a little yardwork.

it's just my opinion, but i've seen a lot of times when people bail on the last scheduled thing, be it the ride or whatever. they've got a life to get on with and only so much time to give to their passions, and as much as that time should be as self serving as possible. so i would suggest making the ride the last event, as it makes those who show up with the ride as the primary focus get the information they need to **** on that mindset. it would also put people with time constraints in a position to sacrifice the lesser importance of the day's ride.

but i do have to admit, those with the right midset would be just as like to show up for the talking as for the riding. maybe we've come far enough that the format won't discourage posers from giving the morning lip service and bailing. maybe we have enough enlightened individuals now that the event will be successful regardless of format.

i'd like to see a lot more of these "statewide level" things happening closer to me. i'm dead in the middle of the state, even though i do realize most riders are not evenly distributed across our geography.

either way, i wish you all the success in the event. if it does become statewide, and i know of it, i'll do what i can to promote some attendance from my area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Put me down as a tentative maybe, whether held in Harrisburg or ABE.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    don't know if going from coal miner to IT consultant is really a step up or not.

glad you're helping on the advocacy issue tho. i'm looking and seeing about a dozen people here posting they'll make it. here's to hoping it turns out that way.

Members who have read this thread: 0