Downingtown Trails Layout Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Downingtown Trails Layout Questions

I tried the Downingtown trails yesterday for the first time and I'm slightly confused. I rode up the first entrance on the left off of Sawmill and made a right at the top. I ended up back down on Sawmill. Does the trail pick up again on the other side of Sawmill? Should I have not made the first right at the top when I started and continued up the hill? Any help would be appreciated

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Which direction were you riding? east or west?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    maybe entered the stuff that is off limits (but still sweet from what I remember from years ago...) on the camp side of Sawmill?
    When combined, the combo of both properties was a great ride.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone spoken to the camp mgrs. about allowing "us" back on? Since the "other side" of Sawmill is now Twp. land? And... managed?

I now live outside of the area but it would make one think that it could be beneficial for both parties. Kind of like the Camp Mack Boyscout property thing has worked out.

Speaking hypothetically and off of the cuff, a couple of $ pass purchased at Loweriders (Plus a tube, etc. purchase for them...Hint, hint, everyone!) and the $ influx for the camp and the trail work/ or campwork day(s).... would almost add a third more to the trails.

Easier said than done. Liability...etc., etc....I know. But, in an ideal world....
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Sawmill has nothing to do with the camp (thats on the other side of Harmony Hill, across from Skelp Level Road).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Roydean, I just compared your gps tracks to google maps to get a better idea of where I was. I started maybe 1/4 mile from where Shadyside Rd. and Sawmill meet and went up the hill westward. It was a short hill and at the top, the most clearly defined trail went northeast (my right), although it looked like there was a trails to my left and straight ahead I followed the trail to my right and after maybe a mile or so, I ended up back on Sawmill, where it appears to run east-west. In looking at your gps track, I think I was on the right path, and it looks like the trail picks up again on the other side of Sawmill. Which leads me to other questions: Your track appears to cross Romig Road, is that trail entrance noticeable? Also, your track appears to enter the Harmony Hill trails off of 322 about a mile or so north of the covered bridge. Is that entrance marked? Or noticeable?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was still worn out Sunday from a long ride on Saturday and had no energy to explore and now curiosity has got the best of me.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

OOps!

Yeah...as you can see...it's been YEARS since I've ridden there. Had my "S" roads mixed up! I now recall Sawmill .... just across 322 near the Covered Bridge.
    Thanks for the correction.

But, with the correction of Skelp Level Road....would something like that seem feasable?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnsaddleagain
    Your track appears to cross Romig Road, is that trail entrance noticeable? Also, your track appears to enter the Harmony Hill trails off of 322 about a mile or so north of the covered bridge. Is that entrance marked? Or noticeable?
    Yes, there is a small creek (and parallel trail) that runs on private property from Romig down to Sawmill. At Romig, you ride onto the school property at at the back of the field the trail picks up (again, private property).

The entrance into harmony hill north of the Gibson covered bridge used to be well hidden, but they've clearcut that entire side of the brandywine (I believe to make a park), so now there is a bridge plainly visible from 322. The bridge is legally off-limits (and they've put a chainlink fence across it, although I doubt it could stop anyone). It would be illegal to cross it, so I swim across the creek with my bike strapped to my back.

Members who have read this thread: 0