Double Century, any takers?- Mtbr.com
    Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)

Double Century, any takers?

I know some of you ride the road and hit the trails. If you are interested in a long road ride this summer, read on.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the planning stages of a Double Century this year. This will be my longest ride since I have been cycling. I have the route loosly planned, but willing to make changes as necessary. The goal is to ride from Hazleton Pa, to Rehoboth Beach, Del in one day. The route I have planned is actually 213 miles. The ride will take place in last June or late July. This time frame will give us the most daylight. I want to stray away from the July 4th weekend becuase of the high traffic at that time. This is a personal goal not a race. I think I can tackle this ride in 16 hours or less. I would like to arrange a group of 5 or more. Anyone that is interested must be willing to ride at the groups pace, no one left behind. Good company and a safe team are important to me. Anyone that is interested doesn't have to complete the entire ride. If you prefer to join up along the route that would be fine. Finishing the ride with the group would be prefered though.

If you are interested in joining the ride please PM me. I would like to have a get together early on to solidify the details (route, expectations, etc), At a minimum, I would like to have a team ride at least once a month, for each month up to the big day. The team rides will include portions of the route. Working our way from 75 to 100 to 150 miles. Maybe a back to back century over a weekend too.

Ride on
    Tom

mtbr member

Whoa!!!!!!!!

That is a seriously ambitious ride! Kudos to you and the team you put together on a very challenging goal. Ride on!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

My first big ride of the year is going to be the Tour De Scranton. I have to ramp up my training to prepare for this ride, 62 miles and 3100 + feet of verticle. Though I have not had any takers for the double yet, if anyone is interested this would be as good a place as any to establish the team.

mtbr member
    A double Century is a big goal; one I don't know that I can complete. But the thought of hanging out at Dogfish Head Brewpub after arriving in Rehoboth Beach makes me seriously consider it!

mtbr member
    Slama, I can tell you're part of Hubbard for the "other" reason! ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Quote Originally Posted by SLAMA
    A double Century is a big goal; one I don't know that I can complete. But the thought of hanging out at Dogfish Head Brewpub after arriving in Rehoboth Beach makes me seriously consider it!
    I am not a beer drinker, but I do enjoy the food and atmosphere at the Dogfish Head BrewPub in Rehoboth.

You could always join in on the training rides. Then make a more informed decision about the ride later on. The training rides will ramp up from 50 to150 miles in the months prior to the ride.

I have set up a small website to provide info for the ride. Included on the site is a forum for the team to interact and gather info about the ride

http://tothebeach.bravehost.com

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    I am getting more and more interested in this. Once you pick a date I will be able to verify.

I an effort to define a specific date for the big ride and I have narrowed it down to June 18th or June 25th. Everything is contingent on the weather, hotel and team rider availability.

Training is going well. I rode the first half of the route last week. June 18th is the big day. I have updated the website with new info.

mtbr member
    How did you feel Tom? Is 200 in a day looking good?
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

I knocked out the first 50 in a littIe over 3 hours. I was really strong until mile 85-90. Then I realized that I miscalculated the elevations and my fueling needs for the last leg. I bonked at mile 95 and finshed the day at mile 101. Legs held up okay, no cramps or muscle fatigue, just ran our of energy. From mile 108 to 200+ the route is flat. I plan on leaving the around 4am and am very confident I can get to Rehoboth before sundown. It was so peaceful riding ealy in the AM.
    Last edited by tturbotom; 05-31-2009 at 04:41 AM.

mtbr member
    good job Tom, glad to hear it's working out for you. looked at my work schedule, and I am on a 3 day stretch, 12hrs the day before, 12 hrs the day of, and 12 hrs the day after. so I think that rules me out. If you get a chance, send me an email with your route and dates, and I can contact some of my friends along the route and get you their numbers in case assistance is needed.
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

8 more days to go. I have one more American Century planned for this weekend and as many commute rides as I can fit in this and next week.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

TT:

Good to see you at the Tour De Tykes the other day!

Keep the details coming as I'm following this great event...

The weather tracking has begun
    Thu Jun 18

Hi-78
    Lo-59
    chance of rain 20%

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    TT:

Good to see you at the Tour De Tykes the other day!

Keep the details coming as I'm following this great event...

Good to see you too. Good timing huh? I planned on taking it easy that day, instead I maintained one of my highest average speeds to date for a long distance ride. DOH

I am going to crank out a 100+ miles this Saturday. This will be the last big ride before the big day.

The ride is over and the website has been updated. For more info go to http://tothebeach.bravehost.com/complete.html

mtbr member

I know it didn't turn out....

exactly like you planned but it was a huge accomplishment...nice job...ride on! Now it is time to get back on your Mtn bike and ride with us some more.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Yes indeed, I am jonsing some single track

Members who have read this thread: 0