Dirtrag Dirtfest 2018- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dirtrag Dirtfest 2018

Just a heads up...

Dates for the 2018 Dirtrag Dirtfest at Raystown have been announced: May 18, 19, 20th

Registration for the actual festival doesn't begin til December 1, but you can make reservations at Seven Points Campground. Don't hesitate too long; the campsite availability at Seven Points was just opened today and available sites are dwindling fast.

After spending the last couple festivals at VCAM Loop, we decided to try MCAM this year. It'll be nice not having to pedal up that hill.

And since it's never 'too early'...
    Here's a vid I put together from last year. (I apologize about the image quality.)
    https://youtu.be/GXRTI5DJXII

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hey looks like sites are sold out for that loop (MCAM). what would be the next best area ? (never been before)

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    Just a heads up...

Dates for the 2018 Dirtrag Dirtfest at Raystown have been announced: May 18, 19, 20th

Registration for the actual festival doesn't begin til December 1, but you can make reservations at Seven Points Campground. Don't hesitate too long; the campsite availability at Seven Points was just opened today and available sites are dwindling fast.

After spending the last couple festivals at VCAM Loop, we decided to try MCAM this year. It'll be nice not having to pedal up that hill.

And since it's never 'too early'...
    Here's a vid I put together from last year. (I apologize about the image quality.)
    https://youtu.be/GXRTI5DJXII

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    Hey looks like sites are sold out for that loop (MCAM). what would be the next best area ? (never been before)

Thanks very much
    RCAM and MCAM seem to fill up first because they are closest to the trails. Unfortunately, both loops are currently booked.
    The last 2 Dirtfest's we stayed at VCAM and we had a great time. There is a hill to climb to get to the festival shuttle, but it really isn't *that* bad. You can also shuttle your bikes to the top yourself, parking your vehicle in the visitor's center parking lot. (Note: VCAM is Left Center on the map below.)

Maybe others will chime in, as I don't have experience with the other loops. But don't wait too long. The sites are filling up fast.
    Regardless, wherever you stay, you will have a good time.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much, I actually woke up at 3 am and booked a spot at VCAM because the others were full. This will be my first year going as that I'm still a relative new comer to PA. Thanks again for posting up, otherwise I wouldnt have remembered to reserve at all.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much, I actually woke up at 3 am and booked a spot at VCAM because the others were full. This will be my first year going as that I'm still a relative new comer to PA. Thanks again for posting up, otherwise I wouldnt have remembered to reserve at all.
    Nice.

You'll have a great time!

In the past, announcements were made (on Facebook) when reservations could start being taken. For whatever reason, I didn't see those announcements this year. It was just luck that I happened to stumble across the Seven Points website and I noticed reservations were being taken.

mtbr member
    Registration for the actual festival opens tomorrow, Dec 1.

http://www.pa.dirtragdirtfest.com/

mtbr member
    Register ASAP if you plan to use onsite camping. It sells out lightning fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Coolhand what campground is offered when you book thru them ? I saw on their site (when I registered last night) that I could include camping but I had already booked Seven Points

mtbr member
    Coolhand what campground is offered when you book thru them ? I saw on their site (when I registered last night) that I could include camping but I had already booked Seven Points
    If you dont mind, I can help...

Sign up to 'include camping' only if you want to camp at Susquehannok campground. If you already have a site at Seven Points, you are good to go.

Susquehannok is a 'primitive' campground, for tents ONLY. The campground doesn't offer showers, hot water, or real restroom/bathroom facilities. I'm not sure if there are electric hookups, but I suspect not.

I haven't camped there, but have been told the festival organizers pack as many people as possible onto the campsites and privacy is a luxury you go without.

3-4 days of heavy riding and camping WITHOUT a shower? No thanks. Lol. Some people like that kind of camping and I'm told it's a great time if you are one of them. But I don't appreciate 'roughing it' like I used to, so I camp at Seven Points. I guess I'm 'old.'

The trails, festival, and both campgrounds are all located in one large area.

mtbr member
    Thanks Coal Cracker, sounds like we're cut from the same cloth. I like to have a good time and throw them back after a long day of riding but showering is a must lol. I appreciate the thread again I would have likely missed out altogether

Sign up to 'include camping' only if you want to camp at Susquehannok campground. If you already have a site at Seven Points, you are good to go.

Susquehannok is a 'primitive' campground, for tents ONLY. The campground doesn't offer showers, hot water, or real restroom/bathroom facilities. I'm not sure if there are electric hookups, but I suspect not.

I haven't camped there, but have been told the festival organizers pack as many people as possible onto the campsites and privacy is a luxury you go without.

3-4 days of heavy riding and camping WITHOUT a shower? No thanks. Lol. Some people like that kind of camping and I'm told it's a great time if you are one of them. But I don't appreciate 'roughing it' like I used to, so I camp at Seven Points. I guess I'm 'old.'

mtbr member
    Im passing on Dirtfest this year, I went 2 years in a row and im not really all that impressed with it, If you want to Demo bikes its definitely a good value. I kinda like raystown with out all the people there.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

We camped there the first time we went. I used the hand-pump wells and a bucket, or the lake, to clean up post ride. Most of the other people camping thought I was nuts. It was a more "festive" atmosphere, but it got old by the end. Seven points was much more our speed. Still plenty of people having a great time, plus being able to shower and easily wash hands after crapping in a toilet make it a no-brainer.

Lime SML-2727, we haven't been back in a while. Might hit Raystown next summer in a central/western PA trip, but no solid plans yet. I've always been interested in a house boat rental there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Iíve got my site all booked. I just hope they fix the shuttle problems this year. I donít even mind the wait I just despise the free for all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nrweaver View Post
    Iíve got my site all booked. I just hope they fix the shuttle problems this year. I donít even mind the wait I just despise the free for all.
    Agreed. My only real complaint about the festival is the shuttle 'free-for-all.'
    It could be remedied with a simple (enforced) line at the shuttle pick-up locations.
    Hopefully, enough people voice similar complaints and the organizers do something about it this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Agreed. My only real complaint about the festival is the shuttle 'free-for-all.'
    It could be remedied with a simple (enforced) line at the shuttle pick-up locations.
    Hopefully, enough people voice similar complaints and the organizers do something about it this year.

Ya I sure hope so, I took the survey they sent and out it on there.

Our trip got cut short due to shuttle when someone ripped the brake off my gf bike trying to jam and force bikes on the trailer.

mtbr member
    That shuttle was real bad in 2016 so i skipped it in 2017 and just decided to load my bikes in my truck and drive them over...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You guys are shuttling from 7 Points to the festival site? The ride isn't that bad. I guess the climb up if you're at the bottom is a bit long, but you can ride dirt at least some of the way up, and all of the way from the 7 Points entry road to the festival. Did they get rid of the connector trail up top?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    That shuttle was real bad in 2016 so i skipped it in 2017 and just decided to load my bikes in my truck and drive them over...
    We did the same to get from 7 Points to the main festival.

We primarliy use the shuttle near the fest to get us to the top of the hill after riding to the bottom. That way we're able to spend more time having fun and less time 'working out.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    You guys are shuttling from 7 Points to the festival site? The ride isn't that bad. I guess the climb up if you're at the bottom is a bit long, but you can ride dirt at least some of the way up, and all of the way from the 7 Points entry road to the festival. Did they get rid of the connector trail up top?
    As of last year the connector trail was still there. I rode it a couple times, but it was crowded and it being multi-directional, I think I spent as much time waiting on the side of the trail as I did actually pedaling.

mtbr member
    When it's not Dirt Fest, the connector trail is one of my favorite trails in the whole park. It has a short steep warm-up climb right out of the gate from 7 Points. A fun techy little rock garden and and a couple of fast poppy sections. I've never used the shuttle and don't plan to use it this year either, especially after some of the horror stories I've heard. But with that said, last year I had a couple of VERY close calls on the connector on a couple of the blind turns. It's probably the most dangerous trail during Dirt Fest IMO since it's open in both directions. So if you don't shuttle just be ready for on-coming traffic.

The White Jeff W
    This is something to keep an eye on. I went to Raystown in October and pipeline construction had all of the west side trails closed as well as the ridge campground at Seven Points.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylv...st-2-pipeline/
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Is there a trail from Meadow Camp Loop at 7 pts to the Old Loggers Trail? How would it compare to the road climb all the way up to Stony Trail? Basically I'm looking for best way to ride from Senoia Loop to DirtFest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    To the guys that have been before, anything I should know, this is my first time.

I plan to drive up FRi afternoon stay over night then leave late Sat

I am too much of a princess to stay at a primative camp so I got a Motel room a few miles away. I plan to drive my car over and park at the Seven Points Marina. I heard the other parking lots can turn into mud pits if there is rain.

Will there be much food and drink available or should I pack my own?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tekin112000 View Post
    To the guys that have been before, anything I should know, this is my first time.

I plan to drive up FRi afternoon stay over night then leave late Sat

I am too much of a princess to stay at a primative camp so I got a Motel room a few miles away. I plan to drive my car over and park at the Seven Points Marina. I heard the other parking lots can turn into mud pits if there is rain.

Will there be much food and drink available or should I pack my own?
    There is food/drink at the festival, but we bring our own to cut down on cost. Water is readily available, and if its the same as last year, free with festival admission.
    2 years ago the main parking lot was a mud pit because of the rain. The worst section of the lot was restricted to 4 wheel drive. Last year it didn't rain and it was fine.

The marina parking lot would work, just be prepared for a bit of a road climb to get to the trails - or find a shuttle-stop. (Make sure to "check in" to the Fest before you park for the day to get the festival wristband which permits shuttle rides.

A closer option would be to park in the 7 Points Visitation Center parking lot. You can register/Check-in for the event at the 7 Points Visitation Center (or at the Main festival), so that option would be more convenient.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thank you coal-cracker

VMB
    The ride from seven points to the festival is way better than riding the road. You can pick up the stony trail just above the ridge campground. It takes 10 mins or so to ride over. Its a great section of trial. After getting to the susquehannonck entrance you can take the doe/ fawn or the buck trail to the festival where all the vendors and festival are. Shuttle is also available but it took a long time and people were not very courteous. You could be there for 30-40 mins, the shuttle comes and someone who was there for 5 mins would throw their bike on the trailer in front of you.

mtbr member
    The shuttle service was the single worst thing about the whole event. Other than that, there's really no reason to pay for the event, especially if you're not demoing bikes.

A simple wrap-around line with one shuttle loading spot would solve the loading issues entirely. First come, first serve. They also need about 5 more shuttles running all the time to cut down on the wait. 30+ minutes is ridiculous. Short of that, I can't see how it would be anything less than a total mess like it was last year.

Seems kind of stupid to complain about shuttles when we're all perfectly capable of riding, but that's the whole reason you're paying for the event - to give you a ride to the top so you can enjoy the ride on actual trails. Without an improved shuttle situation, might as well skip the Fest and just ride a different weekend.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they could definitely improve the shuttle service, though I never had to wait longer than 10-15 minutes. Maybe it was just lucky timing on my part. I read several complaints from riders on Dirtrag's Facebook page concerning the "free for all" that can occur at the shuttle stop, so hopefully the event organizers listen.

I assume a percentage of the event admission goes toward trail maintenance. Because of that, I don't mind paying, essentially, $20 a day for the shuttle rides and access to the event.

mtbr member
    We will be camping at site 50 on MCAM loop.
    If anyone is in the area, don't hesitate to drop by for a beverage or two.

We may look a bit scary, but we're actually a friendly bunch.

Last edited by Coal-Cracker; 05-11-2018 at 12:55 AM.

mtbr member
    It looks like another rainy dirtfest yet again...
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Yep.
    It's only water.

Assuming it's like two years ago, the trails will remain open.

The bike companies may limit demo'ing, depending on how motivated they are feeling about bike cleanup afterwards.
    It looks like another rainy dirtfest yet again...

mtbr member
    I went to 4 DF in a row and had wet weather 3 out of 4 years, last year we left early because it was so darn cold, I had a prime camping sight at seven points to and noticed all the empty spots from no shows. We went to watch a movie at the amphitheater and it was so cold we had to leave early, The founder of Dirtrag was at the movie and was a super nice guy, he thanked the 12 people that showed up for the movie...lol
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Yeah, last year's weather was strange. It was unseasonably hot and humid Thursday/Thursday night, and by Saturday had dropped into the low 50s.
    I actually welcomed the "jacket" weather at that point.

Weather is out of our control. No point worrying about it. May is the 'rainiest' month in PA. We hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. If I needed truly predictable weather, I'd ride a spinbike indoors. And well, that gets boring.

We always make the best of dirtfest and have fun regardless.

I went to 4 DF in a row and had wet weather 3 out of 4 years, last year we left early because it was so darn cold, I had a prime camping sight at seven points to and noticed all the empty spots from no shows. We went to watch a movie at the amphitheater and it was so cold we had to leave early, The founder of Dirtrag was at the movie and was a super nice guy, he thanked the 12 people that showed up for the movie...lol
    Last edited by Coal-Cracker; 05-15-2018 at 10:20 PM.

psycho cyclo addict
    I went to five DirtFests a row and pass on them at this point.

Early on, DirtFest was way cool with all the vendor gear/demos. I don't have upgradeitis disease all that bad so checking out the newest stuff is not as much of a priority for me.

At this point I prefer chilling out and camping a couple of days during other times when there are tons less people on the trails.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    The first year I went the venders gave away all kinds of stuff, I remember I got hats, water bottles, tire levers and of course stickers galore...lol last year there was nothing...im not a beer drinker so the free beer is not a big deal for me, so for the cost of that bracelet I got to walk around the expo, demo one bike and eat over priced food....

mtbr member
    The first year I went the venders gave away all kinds of stuff, I remember I got hats, water bottles, tire levers and of course stickers galore...lol last year there was nothing...im not a beer drinker so the free beer is not a big deal for me, so for the cost of that bracelet I got to walk around the expo, demo one bike and eat over priced food....
    I look at the entry fee as a trail maintenance donation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Weather looks like it's improving just a bit. Saturday, meh, Sunday looking ok

Wet or not I'm going

mtbr member
    Thereís so much rain here in Delaware I canít even deal. Howís it looking there???

mtbr member
    It rained last night, but it isn't raining currently. It looks like the skies are clearing. Radar looks promising for today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Super trails too bad they were slop for Saturday.

I got up at 7Am Sunday, damp and foggy then the rain started, I got discouraged and left, never rode

I will come back another time, would love to ride the trails in good condition

I stayed down the road in Huntingdon only 20 min from the registration area, small motels, cheap eats available

Not sure if I will do Dirtfest again. It's not that it's bad. It's just that unless you want bike demos it doesn't offer much for the price.

Having said that I am going to the next one in WV July 13-15, so I will give the concept another chance

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=tekin112000;13671614
    Not sure if I will do Dirtfest again. It's not that it's bad. It's just that unless you want bike demos it doesn't offer much for the price.
    [/QUOTE]

Ding Ding...we have a winner, thats the same way I think about the whole event

BTW If you are able to get your wristband off with out damaging it, they are they same ones they use for WV Dirtfest.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member

BTW If you are able to get your wristband off with out damaging it, they are they same ones they use for WV Dirtfest.
    Wow, dude.

Integrity?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We will be camping at site 50 on MCAM loop.
    If anyone is in the area, don't hesitate to drop by for a beverage or two.

We may look a bit scary, but we're actually a friendly bunch.

Hi Coal Cracker, just wanted to let you know I tried to stop by to say hello looking for your site once on Thursday. I was going on memory for the number thinking it was 44 and in talking with those guys at 44 it wasn't you. Once back to my site I pulled this thread up and confirmed it was 50. I went back twice on Friday and once on Saturday, all times were during the day and you were probably out riding. Maybe next year!

Due to the muddy trails I stuck to riding the main roads from Susquahannok to the Marina a few times with plenty of hills and downhills logging in 46 miles for the 4 days I was there. Although I didn't ride the trails riding the roads on the fatty wasn't bad at all! I only live about 43 miles away so I can ride there pretty much anytime! Despite the mud and rain it was still and ok time! I guess the big thing is you just have to go prepared for the weather and then make the best of it. By the looks of the many mud covered riders everyone seemed to be having a good time too!

Take care, be safe and hopefully someday our paths will cross!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    Hi Coal Cracker, just wanted to let you know I tried to stop by to say hello looking for your site once on Thursday. I was going on memory for the number thinking it was 44 and in talking with those guys at 44 it wasn't you. Once back to my site I pulled this thread up and confirmed it was 50. I went back twice on Friday and once on Saturday, all times were during the day and you were probably out riding. Maybe next year!

Due to the muddy trails I stuck to riding the main roads from Susquahannok to the Marina a few times with plenty of hills and downhills logging in 46 miles for the 4 days I was there. Although I didn't ride the trails riding the roads on the fatty wasn't bad at all! I only live about 43 miles away so I can ride there pretty much anytime! Despite the mud and rain it was still and ok time! I guess the big thing is you just have to go prepared for the weather and then make the best of it. By the looks of the many mud covered riders everyone seemed to be having a good time too!

Take care, be safe and hopefully someday our paths will cross!
    Sorry we weren't available at the site when you stopped by.
    We were out on the trails (and at the festival) as often as possible. We'll try again next year.

It was nice that, although the trails were a bit muddy, at no point did it rain while we were riding. (Until Sunday morning, I think the only time it rained was Friday night.)
    You are absolutely correct in that preparation and attitude go a very long way towards making a positive experience.
    We returned to the campground each afternoon a muddy mess, but it was nothing a water hose (And a few beers) wouldn't fix.
    Like I mentioned earlier, if I needed nice, predictable weather, I'd just ride a spinbike.
    I had a smile on my face. That's good enough for me.

mtbr member
    A little vid I threw together from this year's event:

https://youtu.be/249wWQyVU5U

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A little vid I threw together from this year's event:

https://youtu.be/249wWQyVU5U

Nice vid well done and thanks for sharing it! I have rode the trails many times its one of my favorite places to ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    deleted, double post

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not to cause trouble but i'm a little confused how a magazine that posts the below on their advocacy page has a festival on wet trails.... I haven't been able to ride in almost two weeks due to rain but I guess if there was a festival planned it would be ok?

RESPECT THE LANDSCAPE

This cardinal rule is all about loving your local trail-builders and the physical environment. If your trails arenít built to withstand being ridden when theyíre wet, donít ride them when theyíre wet. Rolling through mud looks cool in ads but causes rutting, widening and maintenance headaches. Ride through standing water, not around it. Ride (or walk) technical features, not around them. Do not alter trails without permission. Pull over to let others pass instead of careening off trail. Pack it in, pack it out. If you remember nothing else, remember this: Keep singletrack single!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr19146 View Post
    If your trails arenít built to withstand being ridden when theyíre wet, donít ride them when theyíre wet...
    Maybe they made the determination that the trails drain extremely fast, can withstand the occasional wet riding and the damage caused by riders on wet trails is minimal.

Perhaps they figured whatever trail damage would occur was far outweighed by the money made at the festival which, in turn, goes toward more trail maintenance.

If there is a downhill or cross country race, do they cancel it if it rains due to trail damage concerns? (I don't know; I'm asking.)

Every trail system is different. For example, the trail I ride at home is much more susceptible to wet trail damage based on the soil type and terrain.

Then again, if they actually did shut the trails down for the festival, that would just provide one more thing for people to complain and whine about.
    They aren't gonna win with either decision.

mtbr member
    Maybe they made the determination that the trails drain extremely fast, can withstand the occasional wet riding and the damage caused by riders on wet trails is minimal.

Perhaps they figured whatever trail damage would occur was far outweighed by the money made at the festival which, in turn, goes toward more trail maintenance.

If there is a downhill or cross country race, do they cancel it if it rains due to trail damage concerns? (I don't know; I'm asking.)

Every trail system is different. For example, the trail I ride at home is much more susceptible to wet trail damage based on the soil type and terrain.

Then again, if they actually did shut the trails down for the festival, that would just provide one more thing for people to complain and whine about.

I was pretty surprised that people were allowed to ride the trails Saturday as they were almost like pudding in some spots. Enough so that once I was able to bail, we dumped out of the trails and rode the roads back to camp. I just didn't feel right riding them. I figured the Army Corps of Engineers woulda stopped people if it was a big concern as they play by their own rules.

mtbr member

I've never seen a race canceled due to wet weather.
    And second it's only dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr19146 View Post
    Not to cause trouble but i'm a little confused how a magazine that posts the below on their advocacy page has a festival on wet trails.... I haven't been able to ride in almost two weeks due to rain but I guess if there was a festival planned it would be ok?

RESPECT THE LANDSCAPE

This cardinal rule is all about loving your local trail-builders and the physical environment. If your trails arenít built to withstand being ridden when theyíre wet, donít ride them when theyíre wet. Rolling through mud looks cool in ads but causes rutting, widening and maintenance headaches. Ride through standing water, not around it. Ride (or walk) technical features, not around them. Do not alter trails without permission. Pull over to let others pass instead of careening off trail. Pack it in, pack it out. If you remember nothing else, remember this: Keep singletrack single!
    Simple, money changes everything.

mtbr member
    Almost two months away, but anyone headed to WV???

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yep I'm going to VW

mtbr member
    Just registered for three days of riding, camping ,and beering!!!!

Bring me demos or bring me death!!!!