Dirt Fest!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dirt Fest!!

mtbr member

Dirt Fest!!

Getting a little excited about the festival of dirt. Good times will most certainly be had.

Who's going? I'll be sure to give you a massive high-five if our paths cross on the trail or by the canoe of beer. Getting thirsty just thinking about it.

Squirrels be damned.

mtbr member
    I like raystown with out all the people,more trail for me. Have fun.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Wish it was just a month later... So hard to get away for a weekend during the state testing window at school.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I like raystown with out all the people,more trail for me. Have fun.
    It does get congested, but I live like 20 minutes from the trails so I get to enjoy them as often as I like. I think it's cool to see people flocking to ride our local trails and really enjoy hanging out with so many cool bike addicts.

mtbr member
    I might make the trip on Sunday. $55 to get in and $30 to park might be a bit steep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    $40 for full access, not camping, Friday through Sunday - free parking and free shuttle service. $30 for parking if you're camping and you choose not to park free and shuttle in.

mtbr member
    Please post a link

mtbr member
    Found it.

http://www.dirtragdirtfest.com

There should be a sticky with a list of all the events in PA.

Since I'm getting back into the scene it would be nice to know what to plan for throughout the year.

P

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    bikereg.com is the registration place for most events.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know we are still out a few days out but someone is calling for rain this weekend! I hope that guy is a jealous meteorologist that can't make it. Any locals think this rain will break up??

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'll be there. Heading down early Friday morning to ride Rothrock and then Satrurday and Sunday at Dirtfest.

If you see a real fat guy with a black C'dale Trigger 29er with all kinds of red bits all over it say hi!

psycho cyclo addict
    Looking forward to checking out the Terrace Mountain trail (~30 mile loop total). There's going to be a Stan's NoTubes-sponsored ferry ride shuttle from the bottom of Ray's Revenge over there.

Dirt Fest!!-screen-shot-2015-05-12-10.25.00-am.jpg
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topics64 View Post
    I know we are still out a few days out but someone is calling for rain this weekend! I hope that guy is a jealous meteorologist that can't make it. Any locals think this rain will break up??
    Don't let the rain stop you. Last year was wet and the only really bad trail was Eagle, which was re-routed during the summer trail workdays for that very reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Those trails clear and dry faster than anyplace I've ever ridden and hey get super tacky after a good rain too!

I've only ridden there a half dozen times or so, but I think it's rained at some point each trip!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Now that is what I'm talking about!! I feel much better, trails here suck for a couple of days after any rain!!

The White Jeff W
    Its a little early to be looking at forecasts. Most meteorologists will tell you they're only accurate 2 days out and anything after that is their best guess based on computer models. By Thursday there should be a better idea of whats in store for the weekend
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I'd be more hopeful if there wasn't rain forecasted for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. All of the days...
    cas im diggin a ditch where madness gives a bit.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by antgrave View Post
    I'd be more hopeful if there wasn't rain forecasted for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. All of the days...
    "Glass is half empty" - huh?

According to NWS there's a grand total of 0.02" forecast for Friday, you'll drop more sweat riding Hydro.

Rain quantity not set yet for Sat/Sun, too early.

mtbr member
    dirt fest in rain quickly turns into mudfest! which might be the best thing going for them, considering parking and people... IF its a slopfest, i'll be there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    "Glass is half empty" - huh?

According to NWS there's a grand total of 0.02" forecast for Friday, you'll drop more sweat riding Hydro.

Rain quantity not set yet for Sat/Sun, too early.
    If by glass half empty you mean being realistic then yes, glass half empty. Really depends on which forecast you look at but most are showing rain all weekend from what I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cas im diggin a ditch where madness gives a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Here is the link I will be watching for weather for the Allegrippis trails at Dirt Fest. When it gives the percentage for the "chance" of rain that doesn't mean it will necessarily be heavy rain. When it says a tenth of an inch that isn't much. It's when it says 1/2-3/4-1" is when I start worrying.
    National Weather Service

Chilling out
    Bizman, we (my wife and I) have found the Hourly Weather Graphs off weather.gov to be very helpful and rarely wildly-off.

Hourly Weather Forecast for 40.48N 78W

They provide good information on precip potential over the day, hour by hour, and expected precip quantity, when possible, amonst other things. The precip quantity will be bracketed in such a way as to make it easy to determine how much rain is expected. For example, the current graphs indicate they're expecting 0.02in total for the 2-8pm hours on Friday. They have not posted expected quantity of precip beyond that yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey thanks Bear, I will keep that one for reference as well! I have had good luck with the one I posted which is why I posted it. Looking at the one I posted today it says for Thursday sunny & no rain (I will get there that day for the private event held for vendors and sponsors), Friday is 30% of showers mainly afternoon and less than a 1/10" rain Saturday is 50% chance of showers with possible thunderstorms afternoon and 30% of showers Saturday night, but dozens list the amount of rain possible for Saturday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Last year was awesome, this year will be too.

Time to get packing, Dirt Fest is near.

One more day of work and were out of here, irregardless of the weather.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This year is going to be my first time. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Bizman, we (my wife and I) have found the Hourly Weather Graphs off weather.gov to be very helpful and rarely wildly-off.

Hourly Weather Forecast for 40.48N 78W

They provide good information on precip potential over the day, hour by hour, and expected precip quantity, when possible, amonst other things. The precip quantity will be bracketed in such a way as to make it easy to determine how much rain is expected. For example, the current graphs indicate they're expecting 0.02in total for the 2-8pm hours on Friday. They have not posted expected quantity of precip beyond that yet.
    I always try and second guess the forecast, but all most all the other weather sites use the NOAA site where you got the graph. So I ended up using that site almost all the time. You can even see the computer models they use to do the long range forecast and scientific discussion as well, if you find it interesting.

somebody said it above. its a little early to tell. at 3 days out the forecast accuracy is only 35%-44%. Regardless, at least its going to be warm if we get a little rain.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ferko View Post
    dirt fest in rain quickly turns into mudfest! which might be the best thing going for them, considering parking and people... IF its a slopfest, i'll be there
    I'll just bring my moto! Roost cures all!...LOL

mtbr member
    Then fatbikers will unite...lol
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am here now, the band is playing things are going well, now lets keep the rain away for the rest of the Fest! I brought my Fatbike and took a quick ride before the show, hope to do a little night ride tonight. Everything is powered this year by solar power, the sound system is so quiet, no buzzes or hums. Stop in at at the state area and say hello if you have time, and check out the solar power at the same spot. I should be around unless I am out riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Looking forward to checking out the Terrace Mountain trail (~30 mile loop total). There's going to be a Stan's NoTubes-sponsored ferry ride shuttle from the bottom of Ray's Revenge over there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 10.25.00 AM.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	987818

Really looking forward to this.

It's a rare opportunity to ride the trails on both sides of the lake without riding ALL the way around the lake (or waiting for it to get cold enough to ride across). Plus, the Terrace Mountain trail has more rock gardens than the other trails and some killer views of the lake.

Should be a blast!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rode Cooper's Gap trails at Rothrock Friday. Fun place, good mix of flow, rocks, ups, downs, etc. I don't remember the names of the trails we rode specifically though. We did follow some 13 milish route on MTB Project. Had a blast.

Saturday found us at Dirtfest. Good times. Rode around 15-17 miles I think. I was smoked after Rothrock, but pushed through until the beer garden opened! Bought a real nice full face helmet. Got a new XO 2.1 rear derailleur for a donation to World Bicycle Relief after the SRAM guy didn't like my X9 Type 2 that I serviced and essentially destroyed. He enjoyed that a little too much, but it still saved me a good amount of $$$ in the long run.

Lots to see and do there for sure. I forgot to get my GoPro out of the car at Rothrock. Then I had it ready to go at Raystown and dropped my helmet as we were getting ready to start the day....snapped the mount, so that was that. One in our crew had his going for both rides though.

I did have one wreck....at Raystown on rocks! Nothing serious. The ONLY rock garden in the whole system on Stoney Trail and I hit it with a little speed instead of picking my way through....scrapped up my bar and LEV switch a bit, but nothing else. I caught myself softly enough without any scrapes or bruises.

Good times. Now it's back to work to rest up!

RG

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Background: I've been riding for almost a year. I went with 2 guys who have been riding about 2 years, but not super-seriously. None of us had ever been to the trails or attended Dirt Fest. We are all in ok shape. None of us are super fit, 30-miles-of-trail-per-day guys. I'm took my 2013 Giant Talon 29er, they were both riding '14 Giant Talon 27.5's.

The Good: The trails are awesome. We mainly rode the trails around the expo on our own bikes and on demo bikes. I don't remember all the names but I know we did Osprey, Eagle and Hydro several times.

On Friday all 3 of us demo'ed Salsa Bucksaws since we were all curious about fatbikes. It was ok, I guess I just haven't been riding long enough to really feel what all the excitement is about them. Ended up with about 18 miles on Friday. Saturday we demo'ed Breezer Repacks. They were nice. It's a lot of fun to ride a really expensive FS bike when we're used to our low-end hardtails. Rode about 3 miles getting to the expo, then put 4 or 5 on the Breezers.

The expo was cool. Lots of (bike related) vendors, talked to some really cool, knowledgeable people, lots of demo bikes.

The Bad: The parking situation left something to be desired and the shuttle arrangement could use some organization. There was no first-come, first-serve to get your bike on the bike shuttle. It was like an inner-city Walmart on Black Friday. It didn't matter if you and a whole group had been waiting a half hour, someone who just got there had no trouble shoving people out of the way to make sure they got on first.

There seemed to be a lot of Dirt Fest volunteers but none of them could help with any of our questions. We asked a few about group rides, locations of scheduled things, etc... No help. Maybe we just picked the wrong volunteers to ask.

2 food vendors for all those people? Really? Maybe they had troble getting vendors to agree to an event that far in the middle of nowhere for that many people, I don't know, but if you wanted something to eat and didn't bring it along with you it was gonna be a 20-30 minute wait in line.

Overall: I really expected us to the only normal people there. I expected nothing but super-fit people with $10k bikes who would look down on us all weekend but that turned out not to be the case at all. There were THOSE guys there, but also lots of normal people with normal bikes too. We didn't feel out of place as n00bs. Our general consensus was that the trails were really cool, we would definitely make the 2.5 hour drive back to ride more. We left with an overall good impression of Dirt Fest but probably won't attend again. Kind of an "ok, we did it once" thing for us.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review, ive never been to Dirtfest but how you described it is pretty much how imagined it. I am not a fan of crowds so i will probably never go but i have been to raystown to just enjoy the trails and had lots of fun.

Chilling out
    These big industry things always seemed a this-and-tjat kind of activity, to me.

For new riders a better group experience to me would less commercial / more grass roots stuff, like Cranks around the Campfire (which I have yet to attend). I always truly enjoyed the grass roots stuff I participated in when I lived in TX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dirt Fest 2015- For those of you that really enjoy the other activities at the fest.

mtbr member
    I've been doing DF since they started having them, and this was a great year. If you like bikes, good beer, great folks, and awesome trails; then DirtFest will be your thing. Definitely the kind of event you want to enjoy fully, which means all three days of riding and/or drinking yourself silly

The shuttle system is what it is. Think I waited 45 minutes for a lift at one point. Fully enjoyed the wait though since I got to chat with other riders and used the time to recover.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warnerja27 View Post
    Dirt Fest 2015- For those of you that really enjoy the other activities at the fest.

This is a really cool edit. Did you put it together yourself?

mtbr member
    I sure did.... Thanks

You made a good point about the shuttle. I've met plenty of cool people in the past years in the shuttle. This year I had a parking pass for the fest but I camped at seven points. So I parked my truck at the fest and rode a round and then when I was done after the shuttles stopped carrying bikes or was too full, I was able to shuttle people throughout the weekend. Very good event this year.

mtbr member
    +1 rep for you then.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the only tiny "complaint" I would have about the shuttles would be the cutoff of 7:30 for bike shuttles. I was on a group ride that ran late, then got to knocking back some beers by the fire with the Surly crew and wound up having to ride from the event back to the lot. Luckily I brought a light, so I wasn't riding in the dark, but after a full day of riding and boozing, that climb out was a *****.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Warnerja27, thanks for posting the awesome video with great song selection for background music performed by RT and The Earthtones live at the Fest! I really enjoyed it, very well done! I will be sharing this with my other buddies, Zero Fossil, and the organizers of the event who are my friends as well.

I did hear the biggest complaint from others to be the shuttle as they were worried they would miss it late at night. For example a few people I know waited a long time on Friday night to get back to where they were camping at Seven Points and thinking they might have missed it, then, it did finally come. On Saturday they didn't stay long for the band (cutting their time short for the band and beer) as they wanted to make sure they wouldn't miss the shuttle.

Zero Fossil did a great job providing the solar power for this event! What better way to have a sustainable event, then have this kind of power with no noise or pollution to power the event. This was the first time I had ever used solar power to power the sound system, I am spoled now! I have been in contact with Zero Fossil to design a portable solar power generating system to do all my outside shows. If you are ever having a sustainable event this kind of system fits right in, they will be back next year! Zero Fossil - Energy Outfitters