Deet Free Tick Spray (That Works??)- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Apr 2009

Deet Free Tick Spray (That Works??)

I'm not using DEET at all (forget that just washing it off) what people say, Thats crazy.. That stuff is going to be the new Asbestos (in 10-15 years.) I am not messing with that!!

But I got this 'Deet Free' stuff that Does Not Work at all for Ticks!! They just walk all around on you with this stuff. But I am not looking to use something I have 'lying around the house'--I want something that comes in a bottle that I can take to the trails and apply easily when I get there. I got this 'Buzz Away Extreme Deet Free' stuff that cost $15 for a small bottle (where I live) and just does not work. You can go to Costco and get the Large bottle of OFF Spray for $5!!--That Sucks----
    ---
    but I am willing to pay ALOT more for something that does not have me 'Shaking Like The Pope' in 20 years, I just want to know If there is anything that actually works, cause this stuff does not!!
    Last edited by 247; 05-16-2012 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Eat a lot of garlic,your blood becomes toxic to them.
    the downside, no one will want to ride with you.
    Deet is the only thing i found that will work on the bugs around here.
    just don't spray on skin,do your clothes instead.

mtbr member
    deet could kill you in 20 years...but so could your front wheel falling off resulting in you doing an endo and smashing your head on a rock. So sorry if this has happened to anyone, but it would make my point more valid!

mtbr member
    or you cold do what love to pedal suggests and just spray your clothes too. I was told that mouthwash keeps mosquitoes away, maybe it does ticks too.

mtbr member
    my wife just said use skin so soft from avon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've been using a product called Natrapel for a few years and fwiw, have never had a tick on me. It has a citrus smell to it, but it relies on something called Picaridin rather than Citronella like some of the others.
    You can get it at Walmart, but look for it where the pesticides are, not where the sunscreen etc is.

Also, DEET reacts with petro-based materials, like those expensive lycra shorts and can actually eat right through them as well as the paint on your bike.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea!

Great thread, thanks 247

I too believe in the garlic method, besides liking the taste of it, don't like to go near DEET. Never had a tick on me. Spray garlic oil mixed with water on your clothes. It's natural and is eatable. Could prolly do the same with Citronella oil.

Here's how, gather:

<header></header>3 ounces garlic cloves
    2 teaspoons mineral oil(leave this out if you wanna spray your bike also)
    Water
    1/4 ounce dish detergent
    Spray bottle
    Meat tenderizer utensil
    Small bowl
    Strainer

1 Finely mince 3 ounces of garlic.
    2 Pour 2 teaspoons of mineral oil into a small bowl.(leave out for bike spraying)

3 Mix garlic into the mineral oil and allow to soak overnight.
    <section><section class="thingsYouNeed">4 Fill a spray bottle three-quarters full with tap water.

5 Add 1/4 ounce (one squirt) of dish detergent to the spray bottle of water.
    6 Add the garlic and mineral oil mixture to the spray bottle.
    7 Cover the opening of the spray bottle and shake well.
    8 Do a test squirt into the sink. If the minced garlic is inhibiting the spray, you may want to strain the liquid and return the remaining solution to the spray bottle.
    9 Spray the repellent onto skin or pets to kill and repel ticks.

<script type="text/html" id="tpl_tyn_edits">

<label for="tyninput" class="Note light">Item</label> <input type="text" class="tyninput" id="tyninput"> Add <label for="tyninputreason" class="Note light">Why is it necessary?</label> <textarea id="tyninputreason"></textarea>
    Done </script>
    </section></section>Addition to this above, I have got in the habit of putting my riding clothes in a plastic sealed bag after riding, then at home I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid in the cellar by the washer. The pail is full of rain water and dish washing detergent, I don't use tap water it contains chemicals and clothes sitting in it isn't good for them plus it kills suds. I put the clothes in and submerge them and get the bubbles going. They stay there till wash time, and when I open the pail I look for ticks near the top, never saw any.

If you don't use the oil you can spray your bike, helmet, and safety gear, if you have the habit of bringing your bike in the house, cause ticks like to ride it also!

Jump in the shower and check for ticks. They even make garlic soap!

Never found any and I'm in the woods a lot building trails and riding MTB and Motos...

just my solution...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This stuff works awesome! You spray it on your clothes and let it dry. You do not put it on your skin. A few of us used it in hunting season this year and it worked very well for ticks, and ticks were bad this year.

Cabela's: Sawyer Duranon Permethrin Insect Repellent

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That's the same stuff that's in K-9 Advantix, the tick repellant for dogs.
    Don't use it if you have cats! It's fatal to cats even if they come into secondary contact with it.

Quote Originally Posted by melsdad View Post
    This stuff works awesome! You spray it on your clothes and let it dry. You do not put it on your skin. A few of us used it in hunting season this year and it worked very well for ticks, and ticks were bad this year.

banned
    Apr 2009
    but look for it where the pesticides are, not where the sunscreen etc is
    Now thta's scary. That sounds worse than DEET.

You do not put it on your skin
    Alot of these things say Don't put on your skin.. But in t shirt jersey and Mountain Shorts--I have Alot of skin exposed---thats why I went with the 'All Natural' stuff. You can apply to your skin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Now thta's scary. That sounds worse than DEET.
    Nah - it's just where they happen to shelve it. Maybe it's just the store near me. I knew they carried it and spent half an hour looking in the pharmacy section and in the seasonal section where the sunscreen, etc is. Finally asked someone and was told it was in the housewares section "by the other bug sprays".

Members who have read this thread: 0