Deer hunting season...- Mtbr.com
    Jason

New question here. Deer hunting season...

Can someone tell me when it ends? I had planned to ride the area of Sorber Mtn. near Noxen this weekend. I forgot it was hunting season until today. I usually ride from the center of Noxen, through the state game lands and Ricketts Glen. Not going to happen now. So... when can I safely ride through this area again. I know nothing about the hunting schedules.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Sat dec. 10

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Ends the 10th, Ride the 11th. There is a late season that includes archery and muzzleloader from Dec 26 - Jan 16th also.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Google "PA. 2011 deer season"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There's always Sundays, at least for now

Jason
    There's no hunting on Sundays?
    Jason

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Noxen is in a world all by itself...

mtbr member
    you can ride most places during flintlock season. Not many guys out in the woods then. and they only get one shot, so you won't have any guys firing for no reason at something they aren't sure of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30 View Post
    There's no hunting on Sundays?
    No hunting on sunday's.

Jason
    Thanks everyone.
    Jason

mtbr member

You can ride a couple...

...of county parks during hunting season.....Moon Lake and Merli-Sarnoski ....have seen some hunters near the edge of the property at Moon Lake but have not had any problems at all.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    ...of county parks during hunting season.....Moon Lake and Merli-Sarnoski ....have seen some hunters near the edge of the property at Moon Lake but have not had any problems at all.
    Note that I *have* encountered deer hunters inside Moon during hunting season. Last year I came across a guy dragging his kill out, he was near Deacon. Don't assume that just because you're in an area there should be no hunting that there is no hunting going on.

mtbr member
    You should be able to ride any time during hunting season. Just take appropriate measures, wear some flo orange.

mtbr member
    Came across a deer stomach right in the middle of the trail today. Thanks guys, you couldn't put it two feet over off the trail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBurnsie View Post
    You should be able to ride any time during hunting season. Just take appropriate measures, wear some flo orange.
    Well, it's illegal on state gamelands. Except Sunday. Until sometime in late winter/early spring, I forget. It's on the PA Game Commission website

Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    Came across a deer stomach right in the middle of the trail today. Thanks guys, you couldn't put it two feet over off the trail?
    Crazy, the exact same thing happened to me this morning at Roaring Creek - full gut pile. I didn't see it til the last second and came extremely close to riding right through it. The worst part was the guy clearly knew it was a trail because you could see where he used the same trail to drag his deer out. What a dick.

Chilling out
    now that's just disgusting ... from one hunter to other hunters, forget other trail users!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I just know it can't be over soon enough for me....

Jason
    I ended up doing a road ride instead. Like nepmtba said, Noxen is a different world. I didn't want to risk anything.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Woo, hunting season is over?!!!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Laws & Regulations

Kind of... You can still hunt with a flintlock

Did you ever have ham?
    I saw some patches of deer fur on Edge last weekend!!! I also was told two weekends ago that there were hunters on T-Rex 2!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

I saw a Yeti eating a mountain lion for lunch on a picnic table near the campground!

Of course I couldn't get my camera out fast enough,

ahh...... well my camera batteries were dead...

NO, the camera stuck... ahhh

HEY............. I HEARD THE Yeti BURP OK?

mtbr member
    I don't think you need to worry about flintlock hunters.....you only get one shot. most don't shoot unless they know it is clean, knowing that it's most likely their only one.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Problem is they say they don't have enough money to enforce the laws...

Might just be me, but I never see a game commissioner out of his vehicle now a days. They just ride around collecting a check and pension! I can remember back in the day fishing the fish commissioner going to each one of us standing around the fishing hole asking to see our licenses, yes he was a pain but no one "there" was fishing for free!

Do you really feel if you reported a deer entrails on a trail the GC would come out to investigate it?

Laws should be enforced, and illegal hunters should be fined, or arrested.

Then everyone could sue everyone, lawyers involved, courts, judges with lots of litigation. The NRA could get involved, gun rights, gun laws. They could make more vague self interpreted rules to enforce also.

Well this is a MTB forum so I degress!

mtbr member
    I've been stopped a few times in the game lands in Carlisle to have a license and firearm check. They also did their job here too....what a moron!

HARRISBURG – A Lancaster County resident was cited for poaching a record-book class buck, according to charges filed by Pennsylvania Game Commission in the court of District Justice William Wenner, in Harrisburg, on Dec. 7. Wildlife Conservation Officers Mike Doherty of Dauphin County, and John Veylupek, of Lancaster County, filed the charges against Scott M. Garner, 33, of Bainbridge, Lancaster County, who was charged for exceeding the bag limit for antlered deer in a license year by killing a second buck. Under long-standing bag limits, Pennsylvania hunters are limited to one antlered deer per license year.

On Dec. 1, Garner killed a 14-point buck in Londonderry Township, Dauphin County, during the two-week firearms deer season after having killed a five-point buck in archery season on Oct. 31. He re-used and altered his buck tag, originally used on the buck taken on Oct. 31, to tag the second buck illegally harvested on Dec. 1.

For killing the 14-point buck, Garner faces penalties of up to 90 days in jail and an enhanced fine of $6,500 since the size of the deer’s antlers are considered trophy class under Game Commission regulations. He also faces up to three years revocation of his hunting and trapping privileges in Pennsylvania. Had the 14-point buck been lawfully taken by a hunter, with a Boone & Crockett green-score of 172.5 inches, it would have placed it in the top 25 for typical deer taken with a firearm in Pennsylvania’s All-Time Big Game Records.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathangeiman View Post
    I've been stopped a few times in the game lands in Carlisle to have a license and firearm check. They also did their job here too....what a moron!

HARRISBURG – A Lancaster County resident was cited for poaching a record-book class buck, according to charges filed by Pennsylvania Game Commission in the court of District Justice William Wenner, in Harrisburg, on Dec. 7. Wildlife Conservation Officers Mike Doherty of Dauphin County, and John Veylupek, of Lancaster County, filed the charges against Scott M. Garner, 33, of Bainbridge, Lancaster County, who was charged for exceeding the bag limit for antlered deer in a license year by killing a second buck. Under long-standing bag limits, Pennsylvania hunters are limited to one antlered deer per license year.

On Dec. 1, Garner killed a 14-point buck in Londonderry Township, Dauphin County, during the two-week firearms deer season after having killed a five-point buck in archery season on Oct. 31. He re-used and altered his buck tag, originally used on the buck taken on Oct. 31, to tag the second buck illegally harvested on Dec. 1.

For killing the 14-point buck, Garner faces penalties of up to 90 days in jail and an enhanced fine of $6,500 since the size of the deer’s antlers are considered trophy class under Game Commission regulations. He also faces up to three years revocation of his hunting and trapping privileges in Pennsylvania. Had the 14-point buck been lawfully taken by a hunter, with a Boone & Crockett green-score of 172.5 inches, it would have placed it in the top 25 for typical deer taken with a firearm in Pennsylvania’s All-Time Big Game Records.
    \

What I heard from local law enforcement about this is that the PGC is making an example out of this guy. A show of authority for anyone thinking they can break the law and get away with it. I guess when you have 1 game warden for every 10,000 hunters, they gotta show they're not impotent

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Might just be me, but I never see a game commissioner out of his vehicle now a days. They just ride around collecting a check and pension!
    Why don't you tell that to WCO Grove's family!

You do a disservice to yourself, your group, and the entire mountain biking community!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'n'Bike View Post

You do a disservice to yourself, your group, and the entire mountain biking community!
    Well everyone is entitled to their opinion...

... the reports are here of all kinds of rotten stuff on trails and hunters hunting where they don't belong, are all these people lying?

Seems you accused a WCO by throwing out "his" name without knowing if that is the person I speak of! You should get your info straight before trying to stir s88t.

Don't worry with all I do for our area, your comments fall voiceless, and reflect your carelessness to first introduce yourself in your first post, and tell all of us who you are and how you intend to help out, seems like you just signed up to start trouble!

For anyone interested you can check reports here:
    Field Reports

Anyways welcome to MTBR
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 12-23-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added

mtbr member

No good

I believe this is extremely disrespectful to the officer and his family to even bring his name in to this drama! Poor taste! All the squabbling about hunting on a Mt. Bike forum is bad enough. And to you Mr. NEMTBA, how dare you disservice me without even buying me dinner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'n'Bike View Post

ahh...the sound of my hub when I coast.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Got-Bike!! View Post
    I believe this is extremely disrespectful to the officer and his family to even bring his name in to this drama! Poor taste! All the squabbling about hunting on a Mt. Bike forum is bad enough. And to you Mr. NEMTBA, how dare you disservice me without even buying me dinner!!
    He doesn't know I support good hunters and the GC, and my rant was sarcastic to say the least... I even digressed at the end... LOL

I'm always at Moon Lake working with the WCO helping stock trout or whatever, but I don't run around reporting things, I go ride my MTB, and that was my point!

...I just love guys who sign up, show nothing in their profile, jump into the middle of a thread and stir s88t.

Got_bike:
    One dinner coming up! Do you like venison?

Did you ever have ham?
    I feel so disserviced!!!

Jason
    Wow! All I wanted was a little info so I could stay safe myself and stay out of the hunters way. This went astray.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30 View Post
    Wow! All I wanted was a little info so I could stay safe myself and stay out of the hunters way. This went astray.

Well you know them bikers are always starting trouble. Next time it would be better to contact a hunting official. DCNR may be the way to go. Lol
    ahh...the sound of my hub when I coast.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    In my opinion, contact Hunt'N'Bike he has all the answers...

... by the way, Hunt'N'Bike on my ride yesterday I not only ran into but, spoke with on of our local WCOs and told him of your great commentary here on MTBR.

Did you ever have ham?
    Well, you know some of us enjoy playing solitaire with a deck of 51!!!

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity do trails actually close during hunting season?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by currently View Post
    No...but many trails in game-lands are off limits to non-hunters during season. You can hike with a gun and a hunting permit but not without. Transportation via non-motorized conveyance is illegal at that time in places also I believe.

I don't think the state forest or parks close down either, but when hunting is active it pays to be aware of it.

For deer season (just a couple weeks) it makes sense to not go out to where there is hunting, to use the spaces that hunting is not allowed, My wife found a stat this year that over 900k people go hunting the 1st w/e of deer season - that's insane!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by currently View Post
    Depends on the trails and where they are located...

... State Game Land specified routes close to mt biking during hunting seasons.

mtbr member
    good to know thanks