D&L Rail trail and Irontail rail trail 5/19/12- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

D&L Rail trail and Irontail rail trail 5/19/12

Its another rails to trails project sop of course there are some interesting things to be seen. Its not technical by any means. very easy riding. overall rode 37 miles so needless to say i was whooped by the end of the ride. i went with a few buddies and of course took some pics of what we have found. we started off at the trailhead in slatington then worked our way down to the irontail rail trail. If anyone knows what these places were used for chime in. i think one place was an old coal miners village since there were abandoned structures in the middle of nowhere really. enjoy!

" width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">

mtbr member
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">

mtbr member
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">

mtbr member
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">

Did you ever have ham?
    One hell of a ride...cool pics!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    thanks!

mtbr member
    nice pics, ive been hitting those from bethlehm via the nor-bath trail quite a bit on soggy days lately. i'd like to to an epic beth/jt ride one of these days - any idea how to connect over to wiessport from the d&l trail?
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    not sure. we just sort of stumbled upon the irontail.

mtbr member
    cool pics !

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbike View Post
    nice pics, ive been hitting those from bethlehm via the nor-bath trail quite a bit on soggy days lately. i'd like to to an epic beth/jt ride one of these days - any idea how to connect over to wiessport from the d&l trail?
    The D&L trail runs to the boat launch in Bowmanstown.
    From there, you'd have to get on a road and ride up to where Rt 895 crosses the Lehigh.
    You can get back on a trail there that takes you to the river, and I think that's where you get stuck - there's no way across yet.
    If you could get across, the "trail" picks up right there and goes past that trucking depot or whatever that is along side Rt 248. Once you get past that it turns into the normal towpath trail and brings you right out at the other side of the road from the Weissport park.
    I've ridden it south from Weissport to the truck depot but didn't want to cut through what looks like their property from that point.

If you search on Google maps for Bowmanstown, PA and switch to the satellite view, the D&L is labeled and you should be able to see what I'm describing.

I know they have plans to connect it, just not sure when.

mtbr member
    we got tho this busy road with a bridge by the concrete factory. the river was to the left of us. we went down the train tracks then got to a clearing then got on the good ol irontail from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    The D&L trail runs to the boat launch in Bowmanstown.
    From there, you'd have to get on a road and ride up to where Rt 895 crosses the Lehigh.
    You can get back on a trail there that takes you to the river, and I think that's where you get stuck - there's no way across yet.
    If you could get across, the "trail" picks up right there and goes past that trucking depot or whatever that is along side Rt 248. Once you get past that it turns into the normal towpath trail and brings you right out at the other side of the road from the Weissport park.
    I've ridden it south from Weissport to the truck depot but didn't want to cut through what looks like their property from that point.

If you search on Google maps for Bowmanstown, PA and switch to the satellite view, the D&L is labeled and you should be able to see what I'm describing.

I know they have plans to connect it, just not sure when.
    yea thats pretty much what i figured - will have to do some recon one day. i spoke with the d&l trail tender folks awhile back and they told me a ridaeble route but i can't remember
    without hops the world stops

Members who have read this thread: 0