Curious about some trail "maintenance" at Jacobsburg St. Park- Mtbr.com
    Cat Herder

Curious about some trail "maintenance" at Jacobsburg St. Park

It's been on my mind for some weeks now and I'm finally posting, but on my first trip to Jacobsburg this year, I aimed myself for some singletrack snippets that are in the area near the "big" parking lot, only to realize I couldn't find them.

What I did find was twelve foot swaths of bulldozer carnage. I hopped off my bike and strolled around a bit and I'm pretty sure the paths cleared out are the former bits of singletrack. Just wondering if anybody has noticed and/or has any idea what the goal of that was. Note they were *not* marked off limits to bikes.

-g-
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I cant speak to the current bulldozer paths, but over the past few years it seems that the 'burg has been becoming more and more sanitized and less mountain bike oriented. The staff seems to want to cover everything in crushed rock. Kind of ironic for an 'environmental education' center IMO. I personally have limited my riding there to my cross bike anymore because I dont think you need a MTB with the new style of trail building that is going on.

Cat Herder
    Ah yes, the crushed rock was another point I was going to make. There were areas near the "bridge out" parking lot that were just plain dirt and a little bit fun, and last year they started coating all that with the rock and trimming it all nice. I wonder a bit if the goal is to make it more accessible to horses.

-g-

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Warp
    I wonder a bit if the goal is to make it more accessible to horses.
    I was wondering the same thing. Seems the 4-legged post-hole diggers have a strong influence there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    I was wondering the same thing. Seems the 4-legged post-hole diggers have a strong influence there.
    Are there any other public parks where you can ride horses? Seems like Jburg is the only place they have.
    Last fall they did a lot of stone work near the new bridge. Most disappointing was that they are now sanitizing the only 2 spots that ever had a black diamond sign on them - at either end of the trail that runs along the creek. On the end with the big hill, they cut a track wide enough to drive a truck through, which probably means to haul more stone in.
    At the other end, they took out the dips by putting bridges across them.
    I hate to say it, but we need another flood to return it to it's "natural" state.
    Think I'll head over there this weekend and check it out.

Cat Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    Are there any other public parks where you can ride horses? Seems like Jburg is the only place they have.
    Last fall they did a lot of stone work near the new bridge. Most disappointing was that they are now sanitizing the only 2 spots that ever had a black diamond sign on them - at either end of the trail that runs along the creek. On the end with the big hill, they cut a track wide enough to drive a truck through, which probably means to haul more stone in.
    At the other end, they took out the dips by putting bridges across them.
    I hate to say it, but we need another flood to return it to it's "natural" state.
    Think I'll head over there this weekend and check it out.
    Oh yeah, there's that part at the one end of the creekside trail that was fairly steep that had some "drops" on it then made a right-hand turn alongside the creek... they covered the entire hill will rocks so it's just a smooth hill. I forgot about that too.

Is there no 'biker presence in the decision making there anymore? I wonder...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    Just a sampling of state parks in eastern PA that allow equestrian use...these dont include local, county, or federal parks. Also does not include state forests or national forests, and also does not include parks managed by USACE. They have access to places we do not, so its not like they are choked for places to go.

Evansburg
    Nockamixon
    Blue Marsh
    Marsh Creek
    Ridley Creek
    Tyler
    White Clay
    Ricketts Glen
    Lackawanna
    Blue Knob

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just a sampling of state parks in eastern PA that allow equestrian use...these dont include local, county, or federal parks. Also does not include state forests or national forests, and also does not include parks managed by USACE. They have access to places we do not, so its not like they are choked for places to go.

Evansburg
    Nockamixon
    Blue Marsh
    Marsh Creek
    Ridley Creek
    Tyler
    White Clay
    Ricketts Glen
    Lackawanna
    Blue Knob
    I think French Creek State Park belongs on the list. I don't see many horses there, but I think they're permissable. In any case, the trail sanitation has gotten way out of control. The ride quality has deteriorated noticeably within the last year or two. I'm amazed how much time, money, and effort some are willing to put into taking the fun out of the trails.

Cat Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    I think French Creek State Park belongs on the list. I don't see many horses there, but I think they're permissable. In any case, the trail sanitation has gotten way out of control. The ride quality has deteriorated noticeably within the last year or two. I'm amazed how much time, money, and effort some are willing to put into taking the fun out of the trails.
    Yeah, I'd imagine that even a lot of people on foot would rather a trail be a little more natural than what's basically a road through the woods. I know I do.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Well Gentlemen:

Since the Equestrains are an official state organization they get monies to do just what they do, build trails so they have places to ride.

Maybe someday the MTBers will finally organize and get some monies from the state coffers until then I guess everyone will just do what we have been doing till now...

...riding around!

Happy trails... watch out for the horsie over there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Meh- forget it. I don't feel like another internet argument.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

GAWD... that was a quick edit...

Cat Herder
    Think I missed something incendiary here, haha.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Meh- forget it. I don't feel like another internet argument.
    Oh com'on...LOL You used to get hyped on this stuff! Are you getting old?

I like being called a troll, and PennDot just spent the money mt bikers DON'T get on building me a new bridge to hang under! You just wait till we have forums with real sound so we can yell at each other instead of typing.

Of course I'm kidding

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Warp
    Think I missed something incendiary here, haha.
    Heeh, Heeh, Ya, Ya, Fire , Fire ,

Kinda like torturing your the old girlfriend by sporting around the new improved arm candy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Oh com'on...Are you getting old?
    Yep, but I prefer to call it 'wise.' All I can say is weren't you the one who completely blew off the idea of a PA-level organization the moment someone mentioned IMBA?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Yep, that would be I...

...kinda of a case of what have they done for me lately, or should I say ever!...LOL

Members who have read this thread: 0