coudersport singletrack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

coudersport singletrack

I just moved to Coudersport, PA. I've found a bunch of logging roads, atv trails, and doubletrack (cc ski trails) but very little singletrack. Denton hill and STS has some. The closest trail system I found with tech singletrack is Morrison Run. Anyone out there know of anything closer? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    We have a cabin just South on 44 near Oleona and found a really neat trail called "Hopper Run"
    If you take 44 South past the fork at 144 (stay to the left on 44) go all the way to the top of the mountain and just over the other side is 12 mile road (Dirt of course). Make a right and follow it about 3 miles or so. You will see a wooden sign that says Hopper Run on your right. When you enter the trail you will want to go straight but..., there will be another old trail that goes to the left which is the one you want. That trail is somewhat overgrown but you will see that it's still there, this trail takes you all the way down to Ole Bull State park, and is almost completely downhill . You will eventually get to follow along a small creek that will be to your right, and the trial is on the side of the bank. Pretty scary in spots along the creek because it is a pretty long drop. When the trail ends, you will be about 1/2 mile above Ole Bull State park on Rte 144. You may want to park a car at Ole Bull State park and the other right at the top of Hopper Run (you will not want to pedal back up the hill). I know it's not Coudersport, but it is not that far away! If you get lost you are screwed, because there is no cell phone reception. As long as you follow the creek you are good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Lugi

Thanks for the reply. This trail will be alot closer than morrison run. I'll look for it this weekend. Thanks again.

smartass
    There's a lot of great riding in that area. Most trails are overgrown/under ridden, but great trails nonetheless. It's been a while since I've been up there, so excuse the spelling errors as I don't remember exactly the names of the roads.

A little farther down 12 Mile Rd. is the Imson Hollow, which also goes down to Ole Bull. I always liked it better than Hopper, but they're both nice.

It's not a bad ride back up from Ole Bull to 12 Mile if you stay off 44. Take Joerg Rd. from 144 by Ole Bull and it will bring you back up to the 12 mile. You can cut off the last section of the road by taking the Wildcat Trail straight up. It's steep, but smooth and straight.

For another nice trail, turn left off 12 Mile onto the Whitman Rd. (my cabin is off Whitman) and follow it almost to Lebo Rd. Just before Lebo, after the last cabin on the right, turn onto the dirt road. There's a gate to block motorized traffic, but you can ride it. Follow that trail and it turns back towards the 12 mile, but drops into a meadow with beaver dams (last I was there anyway). The trail seemed to dead end there, but if you cross the meadow you can get on the Big Trestle Rd. Turn right and it will take you back to 12 Mile. Or you can catch the trail that runs the other direction, back to Lebo, which is singletrack.

There's another trail running between Lebo and Robinson Rds. (Robinson is the next road south, running roughly parallel to 12 and Lebo), and even the dirt roads are nice to ride.

Really, there are tons of trails in that area, just get a USGS quad and go nuts.

Also look for Miker J who used to post on here. He lives in the Coudersport/Gaines area and knows the trails well (by what he posts on here anyway).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey Amish Matt, Our Cabin is the the first one on the left on 12 mile, and I actually rode the trail by the beaver dam on Whitman in June, the day before the Rally, and did Hopper the next day. I also see hikers on the one right at Trestle but haven't ridden it yet. My wife picked us up at Ole Bull, which was nice because we all took showers after the ride. I am assuming by your name that you are from Lancaster County, and so am I.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Goto the DCNR website, download the maps, print 'em out. That whole area is littered w/ trail.

DCNR index: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...sts/index.aspx

These will help get you started:

Tiadaghton: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...s/fd12_map.pdf

Tioga: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...s/fd16_map.pdf

Susquehannock: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...s/fd15_map.pdf

Can also call DCNR direct and they'll send you these maps for free, FREE! Last time I called there was a limit of (6) maps per 'order'. Can also usually pick up copies at either the local State Forestry or State Park headquarters.

smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugi
    Hey Amish Matt, Our Cabin is the the first one on the left on 12 mile, and I actually rode the trail by the beaver dam on Whitman in June, the day before the Rally, and did Hopper the next day. I also see hikers on the one right at Trestle but haven't ridden it yet. My wife picked us up at Ole Bull, which was nice because we all took showers after the ride. I am assuming by your name that you are from Lancaster County, and so am I.
    Yeah, Lancaster. Been going to Potter for probably 25 yrs now, but not very often in the last 5, so I don't know what the trails are like anymore. Do you still walk the dams to get across to Big Trestle? Is the book still there?

I was on NyQuil and Duck-Rabbit when I wrote the first post, and can hardly believe I got the names right, but Google Maps says I did.

Your cabin, I think, is the one we walk up on when we follow the hollow out from the Whitman Branch to 12 Mile? The bears seem to walk that route.

Anyway, I miss riding up there. So much good exploring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, That is the cabin (two pair) right along the pipeline and the long driveway up to 12 mile. What is the cabin name that you go to? We only new of one where there are guys from Lanc.Co. Left off Whitman, and I believe it is a split driveway and the cabin is the left one?
    As far as the book, my father in-law told me that it is still there, but did not know what the
    "walk the dams to get across to Big Trestle" meant. He has been going up there for 40+ years and had never heard of it.

smartass
    Going from memory, since it's been... maybe 10 years since I rode that trail. The trail with the book, if you follow that to where it drops into the meadow with the beaver dams, I used to cross over to the road on the other side, which I thought was Big Trestle, by walking across the beaver dams, instead of finding another, longer way across/around the water.

Like I said, it's been a long time, and the picture I have in my head may be a little off.

Cabin is called Green Spring Camp, on top of the hill. Yeah, Two Pair, I remember that name now.

Members who have read this thread: 0