coopers gap/greenwood furnace- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

coopers gap/greenwood furnace

I will be down in state college sometime soon and Iím planning to ride coopers gap. I have a purple lizard map but if someone wanted to recommend a loop that would be great. Iím Looking for a 4-5 hour ride at a good pace with the least amount of forest roads. I have rode tussey ridge and plan to ride it again when Iím there but would like to check out the gap as well. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks Dan

mtbr member
    Check the maps for the Wilderness 101, Stoopid 50 at Nittany MBA Nittany Mountain Biking Association - Downloads Area | Maps

Also, Griz Guides has good one for Rothrock Griz Guides (Guidebooks)

I used/use it and its good for the main rides/loops. It is a little dated, but if you email Griz, he will tell you what is still good to go. This guide has a lot of detail and is really well done. You don't have to worry about having an epic day of getting lost. Its a big remote forest, but if you're comfortable with a map - the race maps from the Nittany site will do you good.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Pig pile and Sassafras are two of my favorites. You'll want to ride up the fire road (or shuttle) and ride the trails in a (mostly) downhill direction. There is also a connector trail between upper Sass and Pig Pile along the ridgeline that is not on the map, and maybe the best part of the ride (don't miss the overlook). The part of Sass that drops down to Flat Rd is very steep and loose, I would avoid to save your brakes and get more out of the vert, I prefer the side that drops to Greenwood. The lower part of Pig Pile is fast downhill fun. You can get back to CG side with Flat Road Trail, which isn't too interesting as a double track snowmobile trail, but it gets you back and is in the woods. And find the Sass Spur/XX to return to CG.

A good loop if you start at CG trailhead: CG rd > Kettle rd > Upper Sass > Sass/Pigpile connector > Pigpile > Flat Rd Tr > Sass Spur/XX > trailhead. That will be about a 14 mile ride. Keep in mind these are all tough, techy miles too except for the fire roads. Riding up Kettle rd is a grind and will take you 30-40 minutes but I like knocking out all the climbing in the beginning. The ride is very fun and mostly downhill after topping out on Stone Mtn.

You can add Deer Tick > Beautiful > Chicken Peter > Shitaka which will make it about 22 miles total. It's all pretty easy to find your own way except for a bit of confusion finding Beautiful from the top of Deer Tick. If so, you can always ride Deer Tick back down which is fun too.

There is also another trail that parallels Kettle rd that is not on the map but is a good alternative if you are truly against climbing the fire road. The entrance is just past Kettle rd on the left if you're riding up CG rd.

On the Coopers Gap side the trails are more XC and can be ridden in either direction, but usually I ride the up Coopers Gap Rd from the trailhead a bit and then get onto the trails in a more downhill trend. If you want to hit the downhill oriented trails of Pig Pile and Sass, then I'd just start at Greenwood and ride up Rag Hollow Rd to avoid going back to CG, but you should start at CG if you want to add the most miles possible. Have fun, PM with questions. I will be in the area for Dirt Fest weekend (May 18-20) if you want to tag along, I will definitely hit Coopers Gap for a day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode out there last weekend. Did most of the loop donkeykong0 mentioned, but added a run down lower Sassafras then headed back up to hit the Sassafras to Pig Pile connector. Took Flat Road Trail back, but was running short on daylight, so didn't explore Sassafras Spur or Sass-XX. Overall had a fun time on new to me trails. Want to go back and explore more of that area of Rothrock. Want to ride Shittaka, Chicken Peter, Beautiful, Deer Tick. To put a bigger loop together was looking at Conklin Road to Indian Trail (or Conklin Rd. to Spruce Mtn. Rd. to Indian Trail), left onto Brush Ridge Trail all the way over to Chestnut Spring Trail down to Coopers Gap Rd.

Anybody ride Indian, Brush Ridge or Chestnut Spring trails? Are they bike friendly? Ride suggestions to hit these trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Anybody ride Indian, Brush Ridge or Chestnut Spring trails? Are they bike friendly? Ride suggestions to hit these trails?
    Yes, all three are great mtb trails. I would also suggest riding Fox Chase (I think this is what it is called, but is unmarked) and Lingle Valley trail. Fox Chase runs between the lower end of Indian and Spruce Gap road; from Fox Chase ride up Spruce Gap road and hit Brush Ridge. Lingle Valley trail is fast and swoopy (start at the Chestnut Spring trail). Bear Gap trail is also a good way to get between Lingle Valley trail and Chicken Peter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith42 View Post
    Yes, all three are great mtb trails. I would also suggest riding Fox Chase (I think this is what it is called, but is unmarked)
    i've heard it referred to as Fox Tail. and agreed.... all these trails are open and great for biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for comments guys. No Fox Chase or Fox Tail on the Purple Lizard map. I'll have to do some more exploring - possibly this weekend if I brave the heat.

mtbr member
    yeah....pretty sure Fox Tail, Pig Ex, Upper & Lower Peep won't be on Purple Lizard. They were put in after Mike put out the latest version of the map.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Glad you had fun. If I were you I'd start your loop at Chestnut Spring and ride Brush Ridge west to east, and finish with Indian, which is fast downhill in that direction. You'll have a stiff but short fire road climb to get back over to CG rd, though. And avoid Brush Ridge if it's wet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did a big ride out there on the 4th. Mosquitos and flies (the biting ones) were fierce. Did a loop of CG Road - Conklin Road - Spruce Mtn Road - Brush Ridge Tr. - Indian - Brush Ridge - CG Road down to the bottom of Chestnut Spring Tr. - Chestnut Spring all the way up to Lingle Valley Tr. - Bear Gap - Chicken Little - Beautiful - Upper Deer Tick - forest roads back to lower CG trailhead.

It was a fun loop. Started later in the day to try and catch lower temps in the evening, and that didn't really work out. Finished at 8PM with temp of 82.

Wasn't able to find that new connector from Spruce Mtn. Rd. to Indian. I'm guessing it's uphill from Brush Ridge. Next time I'll explore a bit more. Brush Ridge is a fun trail. Not much elevation change until the end where it drops 200' or so in 1/2 mile. I'll drop my seat a bit lower next time and hit it harder. The lower section of Chestnut Spring is really cool wandering through the laurels with the creek always nearby. I rode it uphill, next time it will be downhill. The bottom part of Chestnut Spring east of CG Rd. is severly overgrown for the first few hundred yards. Since it was my first time on the trail, it was hard to even find the trail in some spots. It ended up being a hike-a-bike for me until I got to the wider grassy section.

Lingle Valley was the best trail in this loop I did. Very fun gradual downhill trail. Next time I'll take it all the way over to Otter Gap.

Chicken Peter and Beutiful are both great trails as well. Some awesome rock work by the trail builders. Quite a few rock gardens on these two trails, but none of them were that insane like some of those that can be found out of the Tussey Mtn. trailhead.

Deer Tick was a challenging route to end the ride with. The darkness under the tree canopy coupled with fatigue resulted in numerous pedal strikes on some of the rock gardens. The trail has some tricky sections, but again nothing too crazy. Once I hit the first forest road I jumped on it instead of riding the lower section of Deer Tick.

Now that I have a good feel this area, I'm already looking at mapping out new routes that hit the sections of trails I enjoyed the most.

What's No Name trail like? Looks like a fairly steep downhill run. Rideable? If so, that would offer an alternate way to get over to Lingle Valley Rd.
    Last edited by wi1trackrider; 07-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0