cool invention....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

cool invention....

in an effort to keep my feet warm and save money (ie: spend $0.00) i made some wind cover/toe warmers for my shoes. my shoes are pretty well ventilated so i was doubling up on the socks and still gettin cold toes. so what i did was take an old pair of socks, layed them out and cut down the back, middle almost up to the tip. i slide them over my shoes, and used a black marker to draw a line of where i wanted to cut off any excess sock. then i stretched them back over the tip of my shoe and wrapped them down with duct-tape. i made sure to cover all of the sock material amd leave no gaps. tomorrow morning i'm tryin them out. oh yeah, i had some old black spray paint so i painted over the duct-tape too, i wanted then to look a bit presentable, lol. i'll let you guys know how they worked and post a pic, it'll probably be good for a laught.
    Last edited by too40sx; 01-18-2006 at 11:58 PM.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by too40sx
    in an effort to keep my feet warm and save money (ie: spend $0.00) i made some wind cover/toe warmers for my shoes. my shoes are pretty well ventilated so i was doubling up on the socks and still gettin cold toes. so what i did was take an old pair of socks, layed them out and cut down the back, middle almost up to the tip. i slide them over my shoes, and used a black marker to draw a line of where i wanted to cut off any excess sock. then i stretched them back over the tip of my shoe and wrapped them down with duct-tape. i made sure to cover all of the sock material amd leave no gaps. tomorrow morning i'm tryin them out. oh yeah, i had some old black spray paint so i painted over the duct-tape too, i wanted then to look a bit presentable, lol. i'll let you guys know how they worked and post a pic, it'll probably be good for a laught.
    Yeah, duct tape over the vents is the oldest trick in the book. Well, maybe the second oldest (the first being the old "bread bag over your socks before putting your shoes on"). I think you'll find that it works okay until the tape starts to fall off. Just be careful of doubling up your socks. Unless your shoes are a bit big to begin with, the extra layer of sock can be counter-productive because the tight fit will restrict bloodflow - making your feet colder than if you only wore a single pair.

All that said, I have to add that investing in a good winter boot (Sidi Storms - clearance-priced at performance last year for $100!!!) was probably the best gear-related money I've ever spent. They're a half-size too big, but they fit perfectly with a thick wool sock and keep my feet toasty and dry, even on rides where the wind chill has been -15F. Feels like warm bedroom slippers! Just incredible, and worth every penny.

If you ride in the cold a lot, it's something to consider, especially given the fact that they'll last for several years.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    haha, i didn't really think i had thought of soething unique. we'll see how they hold up for one hour and half ride. Answer makes a great pair of winter riding shoes too, i'd just order them through work. i can get sidi too.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by too40sx
    haha, i didn't really think i had thought of soething unique. we'll see how they hold up for one hour and half ride. Answer makes a great pair of winter riding shoes too, i'd just order them through work. i can get sidi too.
    Oh, the tape will probably stay on for more than a few rides. It won't peel off until after you get it wet a few times, most likely.

I only offered the winter shoe recommendation because, like you, I tried for years to find a cheap way to make my regular mtb shoes work during the colder months. The difference between that and a dedicated winter shoe is like night and day. Probably the greatest benefit is the fact that you can ride creek crossings and even dab in the middle without getting a wet, frozen foot. Duct tape helps here, but it's not always watertight.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    ................. Well, maybe the second oldest (the first being the old "bread bag over your socks before putting your shoes on")..................
    Correct!
    Still the best way to keep your feet warm.
    It's called the Vapor Barrier Liner (VBL) system.

I used to do a lot of ice climbing mostly on frozen waterfalls and always had cold painful feet.
    Yves Chouinard, the founder of Great Pacific Ironworks and later Patagonia clothing
    developed a VBL system.

He wrote that your feet get cold from either not enough insulation for warmth
    or too much insulation. Too much insulation causes your feet to sweat.
    When your feet sweat your socks get wet and no matter what type of footwear
    you have on your feet will get painfully cold.

Chouinard's solution:
    1 - Spray feet with a strong antiperspirant i.e. Mitchums. Helps stop sweating.
    2 - First Layer -Wear a pair of thin polypro/nylon type sock that will not hold water.
    3 - Second Layer - VBL socks (sold at outdoor stores). Bread bags also work.
    4 - Third Layer - Wool or pile socks or something that holds warmth.
    Cotton is the worst thing you can wear in cold weather.

With the VBL system your feet will get moist/clammy. Once this happens your
    sweat glands shut down.
    The first layer of socks does not absorb moisture and the third layer keeps your feet warm.

Worked for me when ice climbing and now for winter riding.

mtbr member
    I've tried the aluminium foil-over-the-socks technique with varying degrees of success. So long as your toes don't poke holes through the foil, you will probably find your feet stay quite toasty!

PS: I forgot to mention, I have been having reasonable success with some neoprene toe covers (over your socks) which seem to keep the cold at bay for a couple of hours. They are pretty cheap too - about 5 bucks from EMS.
    Last edited by stymie; 01-19-2006 at 10:54 AM.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    I've tried the aluminium foil-over-the-socks technique with varying degrees of success. So long as your toes don't poke holes through the foil, you will probably find your feet stay quite toasty!

PS: I forgot to mention, I have been having reasonable success with some neoprene toe covers (over your socks) which seem to keep the cold at bay for a couple of hours. They are pretty cheap too - about 5 bucks from EMS.
    How many toes am I supposed to have not counting thumbs?
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    How many toes am I supposed to have not counting thumbs?
    I guess that would depend on where you were raised. If it was close to Three Mile Island, then your guess would be as good as mine

Members who have read this thread: 0