Connellsville / Uniontown / Greensburg / 7Spring- Mtbr.com
    swl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Connellsville / Uniontown / Greensburg / 7Spring

Will be here for the summer due to family emergency and trying to find places to ride during week and weekend. I have been told "In Connellsville, [I always rode the Jeep and dirt bike trails into the Dunbar mountains and Casparis. However, because many of these trails are not marked, I would advise going with someone who knows the area if itís your first time (I have my wife's uncle who will be my guide up there some time soon, so looking for somewhere else).

Seven Springs has a great 13 mile race loop with all kinds of singletrack goodness - CAN I RIDE THERE DURING THE WEEK????).

Forbes State Forest and Hidden Valley are phenomenal as well. Laurel Mountain and Linn Run are near our shop, and wonít disappoint (Speedgoat). And recommendations will be much appreciated. Have bikes on rack and ready to go for tomorrow AM so anywhere with trails that are marked and w/i an hour or so would fir the bill.

Thanks,
    Sean
    SWL
    Connellsville, PA (Temp)
    Chicago, IL

Apr 2008
    I used to ride dirt bikes at Caspiris years ago. I remember it as very rocky.

I am in the market for a used MTB so I can't comment on the other trails as I have been riding road bikes. But I miss the dirt and decided it was time to get back into it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Cross country trails at Seven Springs should be open during the week. There's a road that'll take you to the top near where the Tahoe Lodge is. It's probably best to ask for directions.

Quebec Run is down near Uniontown. Haven't been up there yet but it's supposed to be pretty sweet.

You'd think there'd be a lot more going on in this area, but ATV trails seem to dominate. Ohiopyle has a few trails near Sugarloaf ( a really nice, long rocky downhill) and up by McCune Trail. Haven't been up to McCune yet, maybe this week.

Nice no rass
    Caution, Roaring Run in Forbes is now illegal to ride.

You still have:
    Hidden Valley (nothing worth riding there right now though)
    Laurel Mtn
    7 Springs (you can ride the XC 24/7)
    Quebec Run
    Coopers Rock
    Big Bear?

swl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    Caution, Roaring Run in Forbes is now illegal to ride.

You still have:
    Hidden Valley (nothing worth riding there right now though)
    Laurel Mtn
    7 Springs (you can ride the XC 24/7)
    Quebec Run
    Coopers Rock
    Big Bear?
    I was at Laurel Highlands and think I might have ended up on Roaring Run a couple weeks ago. Tell me if this is the right description:

Massive rocks everywhere, spots where my handle bars didn't even fit between boulders, completely gnarly rocks everywhere and no outlet at all heading down, just cut across for about 4 miles and virtually unrideable (for me at least) because of the lack of trail maintenance, sharp rocks / boulders, and lack of downhill (basically just a long traverse). Not fun at all for me - was following an old map that made it sound like a nice short and technical couple mile downhill. Maybe I made a wrong turn because ended up at the "Boulders" climbing area. Basically able to ride 100 - 300 ft sections before becoming too gnarly for me to even clear, and was obvious no other MTB'ers had been through there in a LONG time. When we finally got to the outlet I saw the sign that said absolutely no bikes, horses, etc. etc. ...Hikers only. But IMO there is a reason for that.

Does that sound right or am I thinking of another trail???
    SWL
    Connellsville, PA (Temp)
    Chicago, IL

the unvarnished nonsense
    No. IIRC Roaring Run crosses a small stream about 30 some times over a few miles of downhill then a long slog of a climb back up and out. No boulders that I remember.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

swl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Clearly a diff. spot. Anyone been to 7 Springs yet? Was thinking about heading up tomorrow....
    SWL
    Connellsville, PA (Temp)
    Chicago, IL

Nice no rass
    Well, there are massive rocks up top, but yeah, the highlight of RR is the 33 crossings. Roaring Run is on the Southwest side of Hidden Valley. The two areas butt up to each other.

You were on the Laurel Highlands Hiking trail, it's marked with yellow blaze and illegal to ride. Where? I have no idea, "Laurel Highlands" is a massive area spanning multiple counties.

swl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes. That sounds right. It was off of Laurel Summitt and def ended up on the hiking trail (which you don't want to ride anyway).

After I found my way out I found a MTB specific map for Laurel Summit (Ligonier State Park I think) that had trails and difficulty ratings that looked pretty well done, so want to get nack up there soon....problem was the park stations were closed and found the bike map by the restroom at the Summit where we parked when we were headed home. Major bummer!!!
    SWL
    Connellsville, PA (Temp)
    Chicago, IL

Nice no rass
    Google Linn Run, PA and the DCNR has downloadable PDF maps of Linn Run & Laurel Mtn.

That right there is the best riding in the area next to Quebec Run. Once you ride there, you'll feel like you're wasting your time at 7 Springs as it's mostly ATV/double track & fire roads.

Nice no rass
    And, yes, many of would like to ride the rocky goodness of the LHHT in Laurel Mountain. If you didn't care for that, stay off Spruce Run, Wolf Rocks, Rocky Gap, Hemlock, Hobblebush and Black Bear. It's more of the same technical goodness. Just warning ya

the unvarnished nonsense
    TRG- You just mentioned all of the best trails out there! Was just there again on Sunday and on my second pass along Spruce Run I found myself thinking "Damn, I love this trail!". Having Laurel nearby makes leaving Slatyfork a whole lot easier to deal with.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Members who have read this thread: 0