Codorus State Park?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Never worng!
    Reputation: Verewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    622

    New question here. Codorus State Park?

    Has anyone biked in Codorus State Park near Hanover?
    Looking for information on the trails i.e. type, length etc.?

    I got the park map but it's really not too helpful re: the questions above.
    The park site says there are 6.5 miles of bike trails but I've found this is not always accurate.

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Rat Fink
    Reputation: mbmojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,135
    I recall reading something on the York Area Mountain Bikers forum some time ago and if I recall correctly, it's just slightly above rail trail grade. I think one or two of the YAMBA folks ride there on occasion but only if they don't have time to drive elsewhere. I don't think there's any serious riding done there.

    There is outstanding riding at Micheaux State Forest west of Gettysburg, arguably some of the best in the Mid-Atlantic, well over 20 miles of good single track at William Kane (aka The Lakes - Lake Redman and Lake Williams) just South of York off Rt. 83 and good technical trails (15-20 miles total?) at Rocky Ridge Park just off Rt. 30 NE of York.
    .
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

  3. #3
    Never worng!
    Reputation: Verewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    622
    Thanks much for the informative and helpful information.

    I was just curious about Codorus because of a recent disappointment at Gifford Pinchot.
    A web search I did for Pinchot said there were miles of trails to ride.
    When I got there all I found were a lot of "NO BIKE" signs.

    The ranger told me where I could bike so I went there.
    It was a really nice trail but it was only around one mile in length (groan).

    I definitely plan on going to Michaux.

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Rat Fink
    Reputation: mbmojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,135
    I haven't been to Micheaux yet. I understand their intermediate trails are expert grade pretty much anywhere else. It's very technical with lots of rocks and long, steep climbs. And some of the trails are very long.

    Check that YAMBA message board. I think some people are getting together for a ride this weekend.
    .
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

  5. #5
    Never worng!
    Reputation: Verewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    622
    Just got back from Michaux.
    Took a ride over to look at a few trails.
    It was cold with blowing wet snow. Ground had a thin layer of snow from last night.
    I used to hunt turkey and hike there couple of years back.
    Some of the trails are steep with a lot of rocks.

    Soon as the weather clears I'll head over for a ride.
    Now if I can only find all those topo maps I had of the area.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hackamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    316
    Verewolf, skip durgin of YAMBA is top notch and he will point you in the right direction. there always looking for helping hands and do a lot of work at lake redman.
    YORK AREA MOUNTAIN BIKE ASSN; web: www.yamba.org; email: [email protected] , 5 UNITED AVE, JACOBUS, PA 17407; phone: 717-747-0199


    There maybe still a group called I think Mountain Bikers of Michaux
    MOUNTAIN BIKERS OF MICHAUX; email: [email protected] , 2345 PIONEER DR, ST THOMAS, PA 17252; phone: 717-328-210

    Griz, who's the best at map books i know has trails of michaux.
    www.grizguides.com

    check out local clubs etc at :
    http://www.imba.com/contacts/near_you/pennsylvania.html

    we stayed off the trails today b/c the ground didn't have a chance to harden but hopefully this weekend they drain.

    good luck and good riding

  7. #7
    Hoopy Frood
    Reputation: khill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    255

    Michaux

    Michaux looks like a lot of fun.

    After seeing this post, I need to find an excuse to get out there.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=111392
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Never worng!
    Reputation: Verewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    622
    Nice pictures in the link.

    I spent a lot of time in the area between Mt. Holly Springs west to Walnut Bottom
    south to Caledonia and then east to Hunters Run.

    Along Ridge Road (in the north) there are a number of gated dirt roads and plenty of trails.
    Most of the trails I walked are game trails or well worn paths that have never seen a bike.
    Virgin singletracks.

    I took my Garmin GPS along and recorded some of the trails.
    Hopefully they're still stored in the units memory.

    I never encountered the rocky terrain in the pictures in your link.
    So I'm assuming that area is south of the road that runs from Caledonia northeast* to Hunters Run.
    The hike I took today was in southern area of Michaux and it looked a little like the area
    in the pictures. Lots of rocks and some good downhills.

    But definitely, it'd be worth your time to check the area out.

    I'll keep you posted after I dig through some boxes to find my notes, maps etc.

    (* edited correction)
    Last edited by Verewolf; 11-25-2005 at 06:27 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hackamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    316
    verewolf, you brought up something i've been thinking about. One of the things kmba will have is a website. A major purpose is going to be a "clearinghouse" for information. I wanted to have a section to submit "tracks" .ani files etc to share trail information.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Verewolf
    Nice pictures in the link.

    I spent a lot of time in the area between Mt. Holly Springs west to Walnut Bottom
    south to Caledonia and then east to Hunters Run.

    Along Ridge Road (in the north) there are a number of gated dirt roads and plenty of trails.
    Most of the trails I walked are game trails or well worn paths that have never seen a bike.
    Virgin singletracks.

    I took my Garmin GPS along and recorded some of the trails.
    Hopefully they're still stored in the units memory.

    I never encountered the rocky terrain in the pictures in your link.
    So I'm assuming that area is south of the road that runs from Caledonia northeast* to Hunters Run.
    The hike I took today was in southern area of Michaux and it looked a little like the area
    in the pictures. Lots of rocks and some good downhills.

    But definitely, it'd be worth your time to check the area out.

    I'll keep you posted after I dig through some boxes to find my notes, maps etc.

    (* edited correction)
    Verewolf,
    Ever do any riding further north on South Mountain towards Camp Tuckahoe/ White Rocks? I usta live on Whiskey Springs Rd. and miss that area. Several times, with varying success, I tried to tie the two areas together via trail- but never got too far south. Great fun.

  11. #11
    Never worng!
    Reputation: Verewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    Verewolf,
    Ever do any riding further north on South Mountain towards Camp Tuckahoe/ White Rocks? I usta live on Whiskey Springs Rd. and miss that area. Several times, with varying success, I tried to tie the two areas together via trail- but never got too far south. Great fun.
    I like the Whiskey Springs area and plan on checking out Tuckahoe.
    Is any of the area around Camp Tuckahoe private or off-limits to parking and mtbers?
    Don't really know where White Rocks is located???
    I may have been there but don't know it by that name.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Verewolf
    I like the Whiskey Springs area and plan on checking out Tuckahoe.
    Is any of the area around Camp Tuckahoe private or off-limits to parking and mtbers?
    Don't really know where White Rocks is located???
    I may have been there but don't know it by that name.
    I hear Camp Tuckahoe is fine w/ bikers and parking is no problem there.
    Since I usta live I didn't give it much thought.
    White Rocks is a development/Ridge towards Boiling Springs. The area joins up w/ Tuckahoe.

  13. #13
    Never worng!
    Reputation: Verewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    I hear Camp Tuckahoe is fine w/ bikers and parking is no problem there.
    Since I usta live I didn't give it much thought.
    White Rocks is a development/Ridge towards Boiling Springs. The area joins up w/ Tuckahoe.
    After reading your first post re: Tuckahoe I took a ride up.
    I just got back.
    I drove past the first parking lot and went up to the next parking lot by the Trading Post.
    Wasn't sure which of the trails would be a good place to ride.

    A PA trail guide says to take the road to the right immediately after the first parking lot
    near the entrance sign for the Camp. (????)

    Maybe tomorrow I'll take a ride over to Boiling Springs and try to find White Rocks.

    I live about 15 minutes from all the above. Convenient!

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.