Chapman State Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chapman State Park

I am taking a vacation at chapman State park in a week. Was wondering if there is any trails in the area.

alucke

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I just got back from there, basically three trails in the park one a big ole snowmoblie gravel grinder climb outta the park, two a low lands trail around the back of the lake, and three some cool single track on the far side.

Great place! Hit up some fishing and even had a water moccasin in my hands, he was caught up in some old fishing line now he is free to live and roam the trails once again.

Hermit
    Not familiar with any trails actually in Chapman SP.
    That said the park is within the Allegheny National Forest. While ANF has closed off MOST of the trails to mtb, there are still a few left. Tanbark Trail, over at Heart's Content Scenic Area (just SW of Chapman) is still legal. And to the NE is Morrison/Rimrock Trail at Rimrock Overlook on Kinzua Reservoir.

There are a couple of other legal trails, and the semi-legal unsigned trails throughout ANF. Not much of a mtb destination I'm afraid, but if the Jake's Rocks trail network ever gets built that will change.

North of the NY state line there are trails at Harris Hill Extension State Forest, but that would be a bit of a drive.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    I just got back from there, basically three trails in the park one a big ole snowmoblie gravel grinder climb outta the park, two a low lands trail around the back of the lake, and three some cool single track on the far side.

Great place! Hit up some fishing and even had a water moccasin in my hands, he was caught up in some old fishing line now he is free to live and roam the trails once again.
    Water mocassins (cottonmouths) are venomous and are not native anywhere near Pennsylvania. The harmless Northern Water Snake is the most common water snake in PA.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Water mocassins (cottonmouths) are venomous and are not native anywhere near Pennsylvania. The harmless Northern Water Snake is the most common water snake in PA.
    I have a pic, stop by the shop, diamond shaped head and venom glands, what else could it be?

Water moccasin range, 2015 US Geological Survey

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    jonz...

Data smata...it's a brave new world out there. I was always taught if it had a diamond shaped head and venom glands it's poisonous!

swampboy62

I can see a change and from what I have heard the idea is to make links to all the trails, they seem to have a handle on that at Sinnemahoning State Park and the other SPs in that area. I covered a huge area of Western Pa on vacation this time and lots of maps and talk of mt biking are now out in the open.

I found a way to connect Rockton Mt, SB Elliott, and Parker Dam SPs for a great ride!

Northen Water Snakes have dark crossbands on their necks and dark stripes and blotches on the rest of their bodies, often leading to misidentification as water moccasins by novices.... They also often flatten their heads into a triangular or diamond shape when they feel threatened, imitating the appearance of a water moccasin.

If you want to believe it was a water moccasin, by all means do. I only wish to correct misinformation for the benefit of others.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    jonz,

I'm not a snake expert, but since you wish to argue, I will let you win! Then you can go fix all that is wrong in life and the internet!

I'll be hopping on rocks!

Back to the thread!

mtbr member
    Rocky Gap ATV trail
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5107591.pdf
    South loop from Chapman can be accessed where it crosses FR437. South loop is fairly easy and is best ridden in direction of ATV traffic. North Loop is more challenging and is best ridden against ATV traffic.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    jpa102,

Do you see a lot of ATV use on these trails in the summer months?

mtbr member
    Busiest times are Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day weekends. But I have ridden then and its not bad. Mostly motorcycles and you can hear them coming a long way off. Weekdays and weekend mornings are pretty quiet.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix