Central PA Rides Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Central PA Rides Thread

OK - thought I would start one for just us Central PA guys (Harrisburg, York, Carlisle, etc.) This way we can generally chat and discuss all trails, rides, groups without having to jump around to the specific threads. Then, we can post about the rides and post pictures on the specific threads.

~G

Tonight my buddy and I are heading down to York (Rocky Ridge) to ride for a while. We will probably be down there around5:30 or so if anyone is interested. Another option is to check out Lake Redman.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Let me know if any of you guys are doing the Mid Atlantic Super Series! I live in Harrisburg and have been competing in the XC series.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ride the Lakes or the Ridge a couple times a week Guyute - hit me with a PM if you want to rally together. There's also a cool group ride most Tuesday evenings @ the Lakes, weather permitting, if you want to meet some of the York crew. Cheers - GA

mtbr member
    Subscribed.

mtbr member
    Good thread idea.

mtbr member
    Heading up to Swatara Creek tomorrow morning early. I know its turkey season so Im gonna dig up some blaze orange to wear.

Any tips on the trails up there? Its our first time heading up so I dont want to end up stuck on a rail trail or something.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
    Heading up to Swatara Creek tomorrow morning early. I know its turkey season so Im gonna dig up some blaze orange to wear.

Any tips on the trails up there? Its our first time heading up so I dont want to end up stuck on a rail trail or something.
    G
    Swatara is the most intuitive, easy to follow trail system I have ever ridden. From the trail head make a decision to either make all rights at intersections or all lefts. You'll never get lost.

mtbr member
    These are the coordinates of the parking lot: 40.486304,-76.543344. Head into the woods and not down the gated road. Piece of cake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Echo all the comments above. SS paradise! There are 4 main trails and several alternative loops. E.g. 4a, 4b... The trails are very well cut and maintained, and the locals very friendly. No problem riding everything in a half day at fast pace, and zero chance of getting lost. Be sure to hit the ridge (trails 4 etc) - super fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    Let me know if any of you guys are doing the Mid Atlantic Super Series! I live in Harrisburg and have been competing in the XC series.
    I am! Same thing, doing all the XC as a Cat 3. French Creek was awesome this weekend!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Cool cool. I'm 634. I was racing a 2003 Trek Fuel 100...but French Creek cracked my frame. Moved all the components onto a '06 Gary Fisher Ziggurat frame that a friend had...it's holding up well so far...*knocks on wood*

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post
    I am! Same thing, doing all the XC as a Cat 3. French Creek was awesome this weekend!

Nice dude. I'm plate 305. I was racing a Trek 3900, but I've finally realized there is no way it will hold up to that kind of beating. So I'm buying a 29er haha.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Have any of you rode around Caledonia state park? There are alot of trails plus alot of area that is just dirt roads for cars. I use to hit part of the appalachian trail when I was younger when the walking trails got to easy for me.

mtbr member

Racing

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    Nice dude. I'm plate 305. I was racing a Trek 3900, but I've finally realized there is no way it will hold up to that kind of beating. So I'm buying a 29er haha.
    I want to get into this for fun, but I'm pretty sure I'll be in the back of the pack or DFL. Any thoughts on this? Have you all had so much fun that you would recommend it? Does everyone wear jerseys (the webpage shows that)?

jmiah

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiah View Post
    I want to get into this for fun, but I'm pretty sure I'll be in the back of the pack or DFL. Any thoughts on this? Have you all had so much fun that you would recommend it? Does everyone wear jerseys (the webpage shows that)?

jmiah
    Jmiah,

It's a lot of fun. My mindset signing up for the series (which is free, have to pay for each race though) was to push myself, meet new people, and ride some awesome marked trails. Racing in the beginner class isn't really too serious or anything - but your still competing. It's also broken into age groups 16-29, 30-?, etc. If someone is wearing a jersey there's a good chance they're on a cycling team or club. I'm on one myself and that's wear I got mine. There are plenty of people that just show up looking to have a good time and ride.

The best part is after the race watching everyone finish and talking with your fellow racers. It's a real fun/chill atmosphere. I finished near the bottom in my first two races, but everyone cheers you on when you crossed the finish line. If your a bit apprehensive about looking bad finishing last - there's like 3-4 classes racing at one time at a staggered start. So nobody knows what class your racing when you cross the line! Haha. I would totally recommend it.

The next MASS XC race is first weekend in June.

mtbr member
    Jtrink totally wrote what I was going to.

I think my favorite part is getting out to ride different places without just having to explore on my own. All the races I've been to are well laid out and run.

The hanging out before and after is definitely a lot of fun. The team I race with is a bunch of cool guys, with varying talents from Cat 3 to Elite.

As for a Jersey, you don't have to wear one. I find them much more comfortable. I still wear regular shorts over my padded ones though...

mtbr member
    I might give this racing thing a try then. You all are starting to convince me.

mtbr member
    Do it!! Fair Hill is supposed to be fast and flowy, not too technical at all.

mtbr member
    Anyone riding Michaux tomorrow (Saturday)? I plan to go exploring.

mtbr member
    Normally, I would join you but I'm racing my first race on Sunday. Have fun and be careful. I crashed hard there last week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ride Lade Redman at least twice a week, don't even need to pack up the bike just ride from my house.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiah View Post
    Normally, I would join you but I'm racing my first race on Sunday. Have fun and be careful. I crashed hard there last week.
    You finished the race, and had fun! It was nice to meet you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borborpa View Post
    You finished the race, and had fun! It was nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you too. Hopefully I'll see You at the next one.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Heading to swatara tonight.. Leaving parking lot between 6 and 6:15

Hit me up with a pm if you want to join.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Swatara tonight. Meet in parking lot at 6. Riding time is about 6:15 or so.. let me know via pm if want to join.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Live in camp hill..training for the wilderness 101/Iron Cross in the fall. Ride mainly at Michaux but will be riding tomorrow at Swatara for the 1st time between 7-730 am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm looking to ride tomorrow afternoon and am up for some company. Anyone interested? I usually head to Governor Dick. Just so you know, I'm still getting used to clipless pedals so technical stuff isn't my strong point right now.

mtbr member
    I will be riding at Raystown Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd and maybe the 23rd. Post up if anyone else is going to be riding those days.

Members who have read this thread: 0