Canonsburg, PA Questions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Canonsburg, PA Questions...

Well, it looks like my wife has a good shot at a job here. All I know about this place is that it is about 15 minutes SW of Pittsburg.

Does anyone know anything about it? Good trails in town or near by? We live in Phoenix, AZ right now and have pretty amazing riding within 5 miles of our house, but the summers are brutal.

What is the terrain like?

Is the town cool (friendly, open people with a couple decent places to eat or get a good beer), or would it be better to live somewhere else but nearby?

Any information about the area is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    dont know what the actual neighborhood is like. there are plenty of good trails all around the pitt metro area. there is also a good amount of rails to trails riding. you may want to check out PORC (pittsburgh off road cyclists) and Bike Pittsburgh sites.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks! Will check them out.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Went to HS in nearby Peters Twp., Cannonsburg itself is a pit. For close riding there's Mingo S.P. or South Park. More opportunity exists in the North Hills, and @ Boyce Park. Morgantown, WV and Deep Creek Lake have trails, be sure to head out to Allegrippis Trails in Hesston, PA. +1 on the PORC site.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Is it true (according to NOAA) that there are only 56 clear days a year and over 200 cloudy days?!?!?!

Coming from FL and AZ I don't think we can deal with that. :/

Other Pittsburgh Weather Indicators Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
    Average Wind Speed 10.5 10.4 10.6 10.2 8.8 8.0 7.3 6.8 7.4 8.4 9.8 10.1 9.0
    Clear Days 3.0 3.0 4.0 4.0 5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0 7.0 8.0 4.0 3.0 59.0
    Partly Cloudy Days 6.0 6.0 7.0 8.0 9.0 12.0 13.0 12.0 10.0 9.0 6.0 6.0 103
    Cloudy Days 22.0 19.0 20.0 17.0 17.0 13.0 13.0 13.0 13.0 14.0 20.0 23.0 203
    Percent of Possible Sunshine 32.0 36.0 43.0 46.0 50.0 55.0 57.0 56.0 55.0 51.0 36.0 28.0 45.0
    Avg. Relative Humidity 57.0 71.0 69.0 65.0 63.0 65.5 68.0 70.0 71.0 69.5 66.0 70.0 73.0

Not bashing on it there at all, but my wife and I both get depressed with it's cloudy more than 2-3 days in a row. (Seriously)

banned
    Jun 2007
    NOAA's accurate, winter is pretty grey, and overall has few bluebird days. If coming from the SW it'll be a big adjustment. To offset, PIT is affordable, and has many genuine, well-grounded people that call it home. [If in doubt ask her employer WTH is a PIT left turn?]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've lived here all my life, I'll tell you the weather can be depressing. I don't know about the 56 days of sun, I'd like to think it's better than that, but I never counted. Barely got over 20 degrees with snow today.

As far as riding, there is a lot of it, all around the city. On the Canonsburg side of town, there is Mingo, South Park, Settlers Cabin and Bavington / Hillman State Park, as well as the Montour and Panhandle Rail Trails. I'm from the northeast side of town, so I can only say that Bavington is a lot of twisty fun through the pine trees. The others I have not been to.

Dave

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It is a complete dump, the only place worse is Washington, Pa. Peters Twp. is the only nice place to live in Washington Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Welp, glad I posted on here and checked the weather. Just declined the final interview.

I would rather deal with 120 degree summers than a "dump" that doesn't get much sunshine.

Anywhere else in the state that gets more sun, or is it pretty dreary most places in PA? The photos of the state I have seen look beautiful... but I know my wife and I well enough to know that anything less than 100 or so days of sunshine a year would totally crush our spirits.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Welp, glad I posted on here and checked the weather. Just declined the final interview.

I would rather deal with 120 degree summers than a "dump" that doesn't get much sunshine.

Anywhere else in the state that gets more sun, or is it pretty dreary most places in PA? The photos of the state I have seen look beautiful... but I know my wife and I well enough to know that anything less than 100 or so days of sunshine a year would totally crush our spirits.

The climate is gonna be pretty much the same for the whole region. Spring & fall are nice, though the spring trails are usually muddy from winter meltdown/April showers. Winter has been pretty mild this year but mild temps have made for muddy trails. They freeze at night then thaw out during the day but never really dry out. Generally riding is mostly shut down from mid January to the end of February except for the hearty souls willing to endure the elements.

Summer is oppressively hot & humid. Its not desert hot though. Mid 80's to upper 90's with high humidity.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Pittsburgh is a great place to live

I hate seeing Pittsburgh trashed and it's weather trashed.

As with any area there are good place to live and bad places to live.

I moved to the area about 8 years ago from Raleigh, NC.

I love the 4 distinct seasons. The winters are not long or severe to me ( I grew up in Western NY). Spring, Summer and Fall are great.

There is are MTB trails North, South, East and West.

It is very affordable compared to other Eastern Cities.

How much you like where you live is what you make out of it.

Hate to see you pass up an opportunity because of a couple negative comments.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    There are a lot of partly cloudy days in Pgh and winters can be a little dreary, but I've found that if I stay active in winter months it's not as bad as some think. Def not Colo or Az but there are way more than 56 sunny days here a year. You'd probably want to live in a PGh suburb and stay clear of Cannonsburg. which is not a very progressive area.

Members who have read this thread: 0