camping and biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

camping and biking

Hello all.

I am planning a trip from my boy and I to PA. I would like to find a good camp ground that is off one the towpaths near Jim Thorpe so we can go riding. I need some flat tails for us to ride on because he is only 5 years old. can anybody recommend a good spot for us. I have camped at Mauch Chunk lake before, so i can do that again, but would like to find something different.

any info will be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Adam

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have stayed at Jim Thorpe Camping resort twice. It is right down from the lake about 2 miles along the switchback. It is an easy ride to town or the lake.

http://www.jimthorpecamping.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You probably need to stay near Mauch Chunk Lake and take advantage of the switchback trail.

Obviously the other flat trail is the Lehigh RIver rail trail on the other side of town but I don't know of any camping near there. Lehigh Gorge SP doesn't have camping so you'd be looking at the White Haven end for camping I would think.

mtbr member
    if its ok to cart the bikes 5-10 min or so hickory run sp is a great campground - you can take the bikes over to the lehigh gorge trail to ride from tannery - very nice. there are also fire roads that you can ride from the park - you can go all the way to the boulder field, too far for a 5yo though unless you hook up tag along or something. lot do do there, fish hike etc.
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    cheers for all your info. i have found a camp ground called dogwood haven and its next door to lehigh canal, hope it works out. I will let you know.

cheers
    A

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adzhamer
    cheers for all you info. i have found a camp ground called dogwood haven and its next door to lehigh canal, hope it works out. I will let you know.

cheers
    A
    Let us know how it is- Im looking for a spot to take my son this summer that we could ride to the canal path from!

Members who have read this thread: 0