Camp Tuckahoe- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Camp Tuckahoe

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    225

    Camp Tuckahoe

    Does anyone know if you can still ride at / around camp tuckahoe? I used to ride there three or four years ago but I heard there were a lot of changes to the area recently.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    538
    seven bloody hells, it's dejavu!

    Joe, i think you'd better take this one or i'll start dropping f-bombs all over again.

    i gotta admit tho, i can really write when i want to.

    later

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hackamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    316
    where's camp tuckahoooooooo

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26

    It's still there but......

    I've been riding there for over 15 years (man, I'm old) and things have steadily been changing, especially recently. The area encompasses Boy Scout, private, and game land property. Of course the game land issue a few years back shrunk some of the trails that were out there, along with some posted signs on private property that some owners take quite seriously. Lately there has been aggressive enforcement of the Applachain Trail corridor (the AT runs right thru the middle of many trails there) which makes many trails difficult to ride. Stubbies is definately a no no and there are no bike signs posted on each side of the corridor where some trails cross the AT.

    I even heard a story of guys doing a night hike with lights on the AT and having an AT ranger and possibly a game commission guy come running out of the woods thinking they had caught MTB riders.


    Sounds fun, huh?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    40
    Tuckahoe is a Boy Scout camp close to Dillsburg at the northen terminus of South Mountain. There is some basic boy scout trails that adjoin up with some good trails.
    See Cordorus State PArk-earlier post. For the creative: these trails can be linked the whole way to Michaux. SGL/ AT / private issues do exist.

    Not sure where bighitdon's comment goes? is this a sore spot from the past? Do tell.
    I usta live on Whiskey Springs Rd. and I guess flew under the radar of any issues.
    I wish/hope sensitivities aren't rekindled/struck or started.

  6. #6
    Never worng!
    Reputation: Verewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    For the creative: these trails can be linked the whole way to Michaux. SGL/ AT / private issues do exist.
    The past couple of weeks I've been trying to link the trails from Mt. Holly/Whiskey Springs/SGL #305/Tuckahoe/White Rocks
    without success.
    The trails do all link up but the problem is the "NO BIKE" signs that are everywhere.
    And of course the "KEEP OUT" signs.

    One key to the link is the White Rocks trail but it is on private property owned by Penn Products.
    The sign at the gate says permission to use the trail may be obtained from Penn Products.
    The phone number to call for a permit is on the gate but some a$$hole scratched the number off.
    I have done an extensive search for Penn Products and cannot locate them.
    Even tried to find them through the states registry of businesses.

    I think the all trails can be linked with some creative exploration and land owners permission.

  7. #7
    CC
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    181
    Verewolf............why on earth are you out on theese trails during hunting season? Thats a good way to get peope to not only post "Stay Out" signs but to actually enforce them.

    The trails in this area i call "Gray area"......you can ride there if you use a some common sense when to ride there and not. It Doesn't sound like you're using yours......

  8. #8
    Never worng!
    Reputation: Verewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    622
    Maybe I was wearing flourescent orange, carrying a rifle and had a hunting license.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Climb
    Verewolf............why on earth are you out on theese trails during hunting season? Thats a good way to get peope to not only post "Stay Out" signs but to actually enforce them.

    The trails in this area i call "Gray area"......you can ride there if you use a some common sense when to ride there and not. It Doesn't sound like you're using yours......
    Well thought out post.

  9. #9
    CC
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Verewolf
    Maybe I was wearing flourescent orange, carrying a rifle and had a hunting license.


    Well thought out post.
    yeah.......you would have to walk for about 6 hours to cover all that ground.....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    538
    Roadkill,

    my comment alludes to earlier days when a lot of us (or more correctly a strong few of us) were trying to make KMBA something more than a name. good people got burnt out fighting the good fight while a lot of others did naught but complain about "their" trails.

    one such person posted on those forums aboutcamp tuckahoe and why we didn't do something about it. in response, i posted the post that gave me the nickname "F-Man" amongst others i am sure, solidified my place as designated ******* for no less than three local mt bike organizations and made me persona non gratis statewide.

    my thoughts on tuckahoe are simple: to my knowledge, no part of tuckahoe is public land in any way, which means if you want to ride there then what you must do is simple:

    get your ass off these forums, get your ass out of your chair, and get your ass in front of the owner. ask him politely to come to an agreement and accept his answer, even if it is: "NO WAY IN HELL"

    then come back here and post the results. you must obtain permission to ride there, and no one here can give it to you, so you must look elsewhere.

    and as a side, i can read things quite well, both directly and indeirectly stated. anyone here who is stating encouraging comments or remarks on riding private lands without permission or closed trails may henceforth consider themselves labelled an ******* in my book. such an idea as word of mouth leaves you the leeway to do those things amongst your local riding community, but such a community does not exist in a world of logs, archives, and caches. these forums are publicly accessible and thus so are your comments. not only do you sound like an ******* to me for doing these things, you sound like an ******* to the people that make the above mentioned decisions. just remember: i've thought better of lesser men than you.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    538
    ****ing mtbr

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hackamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    316
    Yeah, what he said!!!!!!


    You know it's all 40wght oil and ball bearings these days

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    538
    lol!!!

    well joe, no one wanted a piece of that i guess.

    anyway, i'm not trying to be a dick, but think before you post about those types of things.

    and as for PaMtbRider who was merely inquiring what was up, the negativity was not directed towards you, merely towards the whole history of the place and those who frequent it.

    hopefully at least a couple people can see the message in that and actually do something in the right direction, sucks that someone screwed with that sign, makes getting in contact with people difficult.

    anyway, i've ranted and raved, now someone else has to do the real work.

    good luck!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    40
    [QUOTE=bighitdon]lol!!!

    well joe, no one wanted a piece of that i guess.

    anyway, i'm not trying to be a dick, but think before you post about those types of things.
    QUOTE]
    Bighitdon:
    I merely inquired about how your initial post was relative to Tuckahoe and I guess I fell right into your trap... What are you bored with kicking the dog? Somebody inquires about something's current status, mentions what they last knew and they get all these sharp little asteriks thrown at them?

    Did I not say there are issues to this land? Before your indirect imagination runs wild- When I lived owt there- The camp allowed riding and I had permission (exclusive) to ride some private land- this acquired not by sitting in front of a computer. I did not put any specifics into public domain.

    I understand of your fustrations of what may have happened in the past and a bleak future. Your first two paragraphs of response was enough. Thank you.
    "Doing things in the right direction" your words and tactics aren't very encouraging. You set the bait, wait, then shoot your load?
    You called it yourself: This method of response doesn't get too far with alot of people...
    "I've thought better of lesser men"- You're able to make that determination and spit that repeated jib owt from the above communicae?
    Oh that poor dog...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    538
    whoo-hoo!

    what fun we have here on mtbr!!!

    sorry roadkill, i think i even made mention of an apology naming you as you were just inquiring. actually after looking, it was pamtbrider. eh, either way, the negativity doesn't imply to anyone in this thread except the people posting comments along the way of "ride it, but don't get caught." and i'm not so quick as to damn a man for saying he was out in the woods trying to link trails. i don't remember who jumped on that without even thinking maybe he was hiking or something. i'm not interested in really looking it up. it really doesn't matter.

    what does matter is this:

    people aren't particularly intelligent creatures, but i get tired of them thinking that average users on forums can do something about it. so that's where all the negativity came from, you pretty much pegged it with the past events, it really got under my skin. as for a bleak future, you're right about that, but again, i put that on people being incredibly stupid in general. so all that crap and the asterisks aside, we need to actually do something about it if we want anything to come of it. and actually doing something isn't saying to ride it anyway. i usually bite my tongue when it's word of mouth, but not on here.

    yes you're right it doesn't usually get very good results when you use a method like mine, but sometimes you do get results. if this method reaches one or two riders that joe couldn't get through to with his well reasoned approach, then so much the better. just shows you where we come from.

    i'll come to the point on about 90% of my posts, i'm not the most serious person in the world, and most times i'm saying things for the sound of my own voice. as i had mentioned, it was a rant and no more. hopefully someone saw the point behind it, but who knows. and my poor dog doesn't get kicked, just ignored while i'm at work all day.

    i also notice that you make mention of certain permissions and such in your post that allowed you to ride. i'm willing to bet that if you were interested in riding again, you should take up those discussions where they left off said years ago. and more importantly, others should take the hint and follow your lead.

    if you're one of those lunatics still riding, enjoy it. if not, enjoy next year.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    225
    Nevermind, before I have to read about sombodies troubled childhood I am going riding.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LititzDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    536

    Positive post

    Not that I want to have a positive attitude, and I have no idea about Tuckahoe, but Camp Mack is a BSA scout camp (Lancaster), and we (SAMBA) have been working with them, and they are very happy to have us.

    Last year, Joe wrote some long ranting post about getting off our a$$es and helping, and I did. That's all it took to make a positive impact. Thanks Joe

    Matt

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hackamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    316
    Matt, just when i was about to throw in the towel(i'm not kidding i had letters written) i saw what you wrote. no need to thank me, it's about the "ground forces" and making things legit and having long term access. In the future i think the boy scouts will be a major focus for pa mtn bikers, or at least i think it should be.

    i hope everyone had a chance to ride this weekend.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    538
    ha! riding in this weather? don't you people know what a warm fire and a good book are for???

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LititzDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    536

    OK, but I am going to thank you again sometime in person

    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    Matt, just when i was about to throw in the towel(i'm not kidding i had letters written) i saw what you wrote. no need to thank me, it's about the "ground forces" and making things legit and having long term access. In the future i think the boy scouts will be a major focus for pa mtn bikers, or at least i think it should be.

    i hope everyone had a chance to ride this weekend.

    Joe I e-mailed you about the scouts asking for a presentation on Moutain biking at their High adventure leader training session in Feb, and just wanted to know if you had any ideas?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hackamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    316
    i think we could do a good job with it. i did get a call from the organizer. I will email you monday.

    sorry to go off topic.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LititzDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    i think we could do a good job with it. i did get a call from the organizer. I will email you monday.

    sorry to go off topic.
    No it's not off topic, as someone from that area/camp may be at the event in Feb.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    whoo-hoo!

    what fun we have here on mtbr!!!

    sorry roadkill, i think i even made mention of an apology naming you as you were just inquiring. actually after looking, it was pamtbrider. eh, either way, the negativity doesn't imply to anyone in this thread except the people posting comments along the way of "ride it, but don't get caught." and i'm not so quick as to damn a man for saying he was out in the woods trying to link trails. i don't remember who jumped on that without even thinking maybe he was hiking or something. i'm not interested in really looking it up. it really doesn't matter.

    what does matter is this:

    people aren't particularly intelligent creatures, but i get tired of them thinking that average users on forums can do something about it. so that's where all the negativity came from, you pretty much pegged it with the past events, it really got under my skin. as for a bleak future, you're right about that, but again, i put that on people being incredibly stupid in general. so all that crap and the asterisks aside, we need to actually do something about it if we want anything to come of it. and actually doing something isn't saying to ride it anyway. i usually bite my tongue when it's word of mouth, but not on here.

    yes you're right it doesn't usually get very good results when you use a method like mine, but sometimes you do get results. if this method reaches one or two riders that joe couldn't get through to with his well reasoned approach, then so much the better. just shows you where we come from.

    i'll come to the point on about 90% of my posts, i'm not the most serious person in the world, and most times i'm saying things for the sound of my own voice. as i had mentioned, it was a rant and no more. hopefully someone saw the point behind it, but who knows. and my poor dog doesn't get kicked, just ignored while i'm at work all day.

    i also notice that you make mention of certain permissions and such in your post that allowed you to ride. i'm willing to bet that if you were interested in riding again, you should take up those discussions where they left off said years ago. and more importantly, others should take the hint and follow your lead.

    if you're one of those lunatics still riding, enjoy it. if not, enjoy next year.
    Thanks bighitdon for settling things back into perspective- atleast in a more digestable, impersonal form. I agree w/ you all around. And shouldn't have fault a man for his views or more so the passion that he communicates them within. Just didn't take well to generalized assumption to be in the majority of stupid and/or lazy people...

    One of my faults is that I always take up residency where I can ride owt my back door. I do communicate to my neighbors who I am and what I do. I can get pretty comfortable in my backyard. Its a good living. But I have and must continuing to look beyond that for the future.... Slow long process...
    Later.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ndbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    339
    Ok, with fear of getting my head bit off in this thread, I'm going to rephrase the question. Is mountain biking still permitted at Camp Tuckahoe? Not the surrounding area, just Tuckahoe? I remember about 10 or 11 years ago I worked at the bike shop in Dillsburg. Anyone remember Martin's? We helped make a lot of the "good" trails mentioned in this post. Whatever happened to Johny O, Dave and Glen? We even had a deal where we sold about 10 mountain bikes to the camp and I went over to give a "course" on mountain biking and riding safely. We also had to go over to the camp and tune the bikes up on occasion. Wow, I can't believe that is so long ago now. I was out of the area for a while and then riding skinny tires for a while but I'm back into mtb and I've been thinking lately about going down to ride there again. So, could someone politely answer my question? Gracias!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.