Camp and Ride on I-80- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Camp and Ride on I-80

I'm taking off Friday and traveling from Erie to Philly.

Is there any place on or really close to I-80 worth camping and riding? Looking for someplace between Williamsport and 476.

I'd hit Rothrock but I'm just looking to see if there is anything further east on 80.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Oh and Turkey season being open makes Rothrock a slightly more dangerous place.

Bald Eagle SF / RB Winter SP- Lots of riding, primitive camping in SF, structured camping in SP (not sure if SP is open for the season yet?) trail map Probably your best option.

Danville, PA - Geisinger Trails - Trails are about 4 miles off I-80, but no camping, unless you want to pitch a tent in my backyard.Trail Map

Roaring Creek in Aristes, PA - 30 minutes south of I-80, tons of riding, primitive camping (I think?...as long as you're discrete about it, it shouldn't be a problem.)Trail Map

There are a few other places, such as JT and Mt Top, but they'd require alot of local knowledge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There's lots of riding in the Bald Eagle State Forest, some starting points are immediately off I-80, (for ex. the Mile Run exit, Google Map), and many more within a few miles on forest roads.

Trails: There's a recent thread here about the Cowbell Hollow trail, and there are many options for trails there. The hardly-ever-used fire roads and 4x4 trails (wider than singletrack, but rarely used by motorized vehicles) can be very rutted and the low lying ruts can take multiple days to fully drain/dry out after several days of rain like we're having now. Most of the memorable loops I've ridden there combine a single track, named trail going from point A to B with fire road or maintained forest road for the return. At the moment I forget the trail names. Here are various tracks from Garmin Connect, 1, 2, 3.

BESF website and map link.

For camping in that area, look Raymond B. Winter State Park, it has cabins and rustic camping. Ravensburg SP also has camping.

mtbr member
    There is also hickory run state park which is very close to the junction of 80 and the pike also you can run down the leigh gorge trail to jim thorpe lots of trails in that area

Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    There is also hickory run state park which is very close to the junction of 80 and the pike also you can run down the leigh gorge trail to jim thorpe lots of trails in that area
    Hickory Run is a nice SP indeed and a good option for camping, just keep in mind that the trails there are absolutely off limits to mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Hickory Run is a nice SP indeed and a good option for camping, just keep in mind that the trails there are absolutely off limits to mountain biking.
    I'll also add that the Lehigh Gorge trail is a rail-to-trail, and is as flat as they come. Not that there's anything wrong with flat, but no technical or uphill/downhill at all. It is probably the most scenic biking trail in the state though (on a par with Pine Creek Rail Trail in Tioga and Lycoming counties), you're in the valley of a deep gorge for 35 miles -- mountain ridge lines on both sides of you and a churning river below.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner View Post
    ...you're in the valley of a deep gorge for 35 miles -- mountain ridge lines on both sides of you and a churning river below....
    if only the ice-cream shop that was adjacent to the Subway on the Jim Thorpe end hadn't closed, that was perfect refueling going White Haven <-> Maunch Chunk. :P

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Ok, so now we have some places to ride...

Anyone not working tomorrow morning?

Chilling out
    i'm available for punishment, live near Wilkes-Barre but happy to meet up somewhere.

feel free to pm me contact info / mobile # (and real name, if you so desire, it will sound funny talking to someone named "triple-p" but i'm okay with that - ha ha ha).

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'm planning on riding about 25 miles tomorrow at Bald Eagle/RB Winter.

Probably start around 9am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Good for you. One last suggestion, stop in at the RBW SP offices and get a green SF road/trail map, no cost. It will be a printed copy of what is linked to above. Take it with you on the ride, that is a big place with lots of trails and forest roads intersecting at various points. Also ask the SP/SF rangers what's good for riding, it's their job to know current conditions, and they usually love to talk about the parks and forests where they work.

Members who have read this thread: 0