Camp grounds @ Raystown.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Camp grounds @ Raystown.

Is there a camp ground close (riding distance) to the MTB trails at Raystown?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nvm, I figured it out. Seven Points has a camp ground and so does Susquehannock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo. View Post
    Is there a camp ground close (riding distance) to the MTB trails at Raystown?!
    Please to Define 'riding distance'.

If your name is Lance or Floyd it's one thing. If it's Clyde or Herb it may be another.

Good Question. I for one have quit sleeping on the ground - too hard to get back up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Theres a campground like 20 feet from the trails, I've never been (I stay at the Huntingdon Motor Inn) but it's definitely right there.

What bruise?
    Ridge and Meadow Loops are a few hundred feet from the west side trails with power and level sites for tents and trailers. Susquehannock have primitive sites but the loops on the Bakers Hollow side access just outside the camping area.

http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/C...oints_camp.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali_Pine View Post
    I for one have quit sleeping on the ground - too hard to get back up.
    Try using an air mattress in the tent. i use a Coleman that's about 8" thick. Not quite as comfy as my own bed but way more comfy than typical motel beds or beds that are furnished with cabins. YMMV

mtbr member
    i was just there this past weekend. as others have said...both 7 points and susquehannock's campgrounds are easy access to the trails. i prefer susquehannock..more wooded, less crowded, but...you're gonna **** in a pit and it's quite a drive out to the store if you need anything. from the very bottom of susquehannock (lake access sites) to the first access to the trails (eagle trail) is about a mile even. there are 8 sites right near eagle trail though.

mtbr member
    Thanks, for the information. We have to reschedule our trip because seven points camp ground is full the weekend we wanted to go. For me, a nice warm shower can make all the difference in the world when riding all day + camping. Susquehanna doesn't have showers and according to the website, it is about a 15 min drive (one way) to seven points showers. We were able to make reservations at seven points.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    unless you stay at ridge or meadow camps your biggest climb of the trip will be getting to the trails. Senoia camp is really nice to you can just jump in the lake at you camp site after a ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    We're headed to Raystown area in October. Which campgrounds are good for groups? Running water is a plus!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    seven points. pretty quiet in october too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks! I hope it dries out a bit in the next couple of days!

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmaam View Post
    Thanks! I hope it dries out a bit in the next couple of days!
    We were there this past weekend. Everything was wet but the trails! They drain quicker than any I've ever seen. Guess it's the combination of the design and shale content.

mtbr member
    i am hoping to get up there sometime in october...if we can get a dry weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmaam View Post
    We're headed to Raystown area in October. Which campgrounds are good for groups? Running water is a plus!

Thanks!
    They have a group camping area in the Meadows campground. Very reasonable and a very nice large pavillion with a frieplace. Call to reserve it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    i am hoping to get up there sometime in october...if we can get a dry weekend.
    I second that!
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The weather for Columbus Day weekend is looking pretty good (knock on wood). My girlfriend and I were going to head down today (10/1), but rain and temps in the 40s forced us to cancel. We've been to the Allegrippis trails three times previous, and we've stayed at Seven Points Campground each time. The campground has clean bathrooms and showers, and it's relatively close to the trails. A good place to camp, overall. While you're in the area, it wouldn't hurt to check out the trails in Rothrock State Forest. They're the polar opposite of the Allegrippis trails, so if you like miles and miles of rocky, technical singletrack, then you've gotta give Rothrock a try.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sounds cool. I can't wait to try this place. We were supposed to go this weekend and canceled. Maybe in a couple of weeks!

Rider
    On the eastern trails, which direction do you prefer to ride (clockwise or counterclockwise)??
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by herrhaus View Post
    On the eastern trails, which direction do you prefer to ride (clockwise or counterclockwise)??
    Each direction has it's own "ups and downs," but I prefer to ride the eastern trails clockwise. Here's a good route, IMO: Take Stony to the parking lot, from there, Buck > Allie > Grippis > Ridge > Ray's Revenge > Berry Patch (twice?) > Loco-Motive > Red Legs > Allie > Fawn > Osprey > Hydro > Eagle > Sleek Dog > Doe > and Buck to the Parking Lot.

Regardless of the direction, you definitely want to ride Ray's Revenge and Osprey Clockwise.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Bodie6; 10-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    susqueahnnock is ON the trails (get a site as close to the entrance as you can - the closer you get to the lake the longer the road climb is to the trail head) but had pit toilets and no running water. You do however have accss to clean public bathrooms and showers at the Seven Points "beach" area which is a few miles away. Seven points loops do have trail access. You'll pass the trail head on your way down to the loops. Again, try to get a site that is in the top couple loops as they'll be closer to the trail head. If you get a site at the bottom near the lake, its a long road climb up to the trails.

mtbr member

all good

But Seven Points campgground was excellent. Drove the vehicles to the trailhead to save more time and energy for the fun stuff. Couple miles away, better than wasting time on uphill asphalt IMHO. Counter clockwise on most stuff is the way to go, from trailhead parking lot CC around the "outside", stopping and doing Hydro both ways, definitely NOT doing Ray's Revenge CC!, Pretty much all uphill and no flow. We did it CC and it sucked, definitely a great workout, but kept cursing myself we were going "up" when others were flying "down". Did a u-turn at end of Ray's after going a bit out on Ridge, then had an F'in blast doing Ray's the "right" way. Dips, dips, and more dips! Will be heading back out again!

Rider
    Thanks for the reply's. Had fun yesterday out there. The eastern (or northern) trails are the best. They seem to have a lot more flow to them over the western (southern) trails.

I have to say that the Hydro Loop was my favorite. Love the pines (think of the scent) and the loop. Seemed like the best direction to ride it was CC. Although, if heading in a clockwise direction, there's a cool S-curve on the north side (all bermed up). Riding Osprey in a west to east direction was also pretty cool. All uphill the other direction. Only problem with riding Osprey in that direction is that no matter what trail you chose to get back....it's all up hill.

I thought Rays Revenge was better in clockwise direction.....but, I'm not a real big fan of the trail. Allie, Grippis and Ridge were a hoot too. I'm thinking the best direction for that is heading back towards the parking lot.

Don't be deceived by the trail ranking system. Just because a trail is labeled as black, doesn't make it any harder or more technical. I'm pretty sure it's simply based on distance from parking area. The farther you are away, the higher the trail rank.

If I had to choose a route, I think I'd do it like this:
    Buck>Allie>Red Legs>Loco>Berry Patch>Rays>Berry Patch>Ridge>Grippis>Allie
    then
    Fawn>Sleek>Eagle>Hydro (CC direction)>Osprey up, then Osprey back down, then Osprey back up again>Doe and back to the car. Should be around 23 miles.

If heading out there this weekend....you've got absolutely stellar weather for it! Trails are in great shape...few small wet spots, but I'm thinking that by tomorrow (Saturday), they will be gone. Enjoy!!

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by herrhaus View Post
    Don't be deceived by the trail ranking system. Just because a trail is labeled as black, doesn't make it any harder or more technical.
    I haven't made a serious study of it, but my impression is the black trails have more capability for speed combined with turns, or rollers, making for some good danger points.

If you keep the speed in check there's no reason any level rider can't ride pretty much every inch of trail there.

Rider
    I didn't think so. There are plenty of dips and areas that you can fly on the blue trails (think Grippis, Ridge, and Osprey). Also, the best rock garden I encountered was on Doe (which is a green trail). I think it's simply based on distance.