calling all wissa riders- Mtbr.com
    Trail eater

calling all wissa riders

hey guys, thought it was about time we started a new thread regarding our weekend ride.
    Due to the likelyhood of rain on sat, we will make a decision by tommorow NOON as to what day we will ride. Hope that is cool with everyone.
    Sunday looks the most promising at this stage.

It will be a great opportunity to meet new people and have a fun ride.
    So watch this thread for the latest updates.

cheers,

electric mustard
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    hey guys, thought it was about time we started a new thread regarding our weekend ride.
    Due to the likelyhood of rain on sat, we will make a decision by tommorow NOON as to what day we will ride. Hope that is cool with everyone.
    Sunday looks the most promising at this stage.

It will be a great opportunity to meet new people and have a fun ride.
    So watch this thread for the latest updates.

cheers,

electric mustard
    I kind of liked the old thread where everybody was ragging on me. I think I'm going to ride Wiss this afternoon, I'll get back to you guys with a detailed trail report. I may bring back some soil samples to analyze, I'll send the pics.

Freshly Fujified

Hey! Before you go....

Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    I kind of liked the old thread where everybody was ragging on me. I think I'm going to ride Wiss this afternoon, I'll get back to you guys with a detailed trail report. I may bring back some soil samples to analyze, I'll send the pics.
    Rag, rag, rag, piss, *****, moan.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to check conditions. Let us know what you find.

bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Inbred Homebrewer
    I think I'm going to ride Wiss this afternoon.
    Try not to f#$% up the trails.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Trail eater
    you guys crack me up

Freshly Fujified

Stick's a pot stirrer

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Try not to f#$% up the trails.

I get the feeling he and I will get along just fine.

OK, so as not to hijack this thread any further, I'll keep my mouth shut until tomorrow at noon when we report back. Thanks again to everyone who's contibuted to these two threads.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i posted in that other thread but now i can't even see my own post.

but what i said was.... it is supposed to rain HARD through saturday morning. i would say even sunday will be a mudfest. and for consciencoius(sp?) trail riders i'd recommend another better draining venue for the weekend.

i am gonna ride belmont sunday or monday morning (maybe both). i would definitely meet up with some of yall and show you around or just ride if you already know the trails. (10ish?)

ssc280, you do remember all that rain we got LAST NIGHT right? do what you want i guess...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

******official Post Ride Trail Report*******

Alright, sorry to keep you guys waiting. I know you've been sitting there hitting refresh waiting for my "official post ride trail report." I did take into consideration the rain we got last night before I went, it really wasn't substantial. I'm glad to report that the trails are in really good shape, better than I was expecting. There are a few muddy spots, but really not bad at all. On a scale 0f 1-100, with 100 being absolutley perfect riding conditions, I would give it about an 83. I wasn't able to pick up any soil samples for analysis, but I have included a post ride pic of my bike. You can probably get a good idea of things from the amount of mud on my bike. Alright, that's it for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail eater
    out of interest ssc280 but where did you ride? The indian side?
    Thanks.

electric mustard

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ssc20 was right, after blastin him for riding last night i went out for a quick trail run and the trails were actually pretty nice...

i woulda still waited a day but today (friday) sure would be nice!

Trail eater
    a little more specific please, which side? This is important right now since I was gonna make a decision today about riding sat or sun however rain is forecast for most of sat so sunday may be better option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    a little more specific please, which side? This is important right now since I was gonna make a decision today about riding sat or sun however rain is forecast for most of sat so sunday may be better option.
    Just do the whole loop like a man!! Actually I rode both sides, and they were both pretty nice, but the Indian side was a little more dry. It gets more sunlight, especially this time of year.

Freshly Fujified

Tomorrow's forecast

Based on what I'm seeing, and what others such as max have been saying, it would appear that the rain will begin tonight, developing into thunderstorms in the early morning, then tapering back off to rain and showers. If it's raining, I doubt we'll have many people gathering tomorrow morning.

Do we scrub tomorrow and look towards Sunday? Do we wait until the morning to see if indeed we get the rain expected? If we do Sunday, do we send someone local to the trails out first thing in the morning and report back? Am I overcomplicating this?

Discuss.....

Bob

Trail eater
    sunday noon. getting someone local to check it out would be real handy. I will ride anyway/somewhere on sunday. I will check out wissa and if its too wet then I will ride belmont. Please join me if you are interested.

i will watch this thread sat thru sunday too

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I thought today, Friday, was supposed to be much nicer than this. What the hell.

Freshly Fujified

Too cold?

I thought today, Friday, was supposed to be much nicer than this. What the hell.

Big change from the springlike temps yesterday.

Respect Your Trails
    It looks like we've got rain for tonight and tom, then snow behind it. I heard saturday is supposed to get progressivly colder, and if snow on Sunday means frozen ground, a ride anywhere could be a go. I hit up Ralph Stover last sat. morning before it thawed out....damn fast on rock solid ground! As long as the snow doesn't accumulate too much, which I don't think it will.......is Sunday the better bet? Do we want to agree to sometime then? Discuss amoungst yourselves....

Yappy little dog!

What a Crack-Up!

Quote Originally Posted by dahoos
    It looks like we've got rain for tonight and tom, then snow behind it. I heard saturday is supposed to get progressivly colder, and if snow on Sunday means frozen ground, a ride anywhere could be a go. I hit up Ralph Stover last sat. morning before it thawed out....damn fast on rock solid ground! As long as the snow doesn't accumulate too much, which I don't think it will.......is Sunday the better bet? Do we want to agree to sometime then? Discuss amoungst yourselves....
    You guys crack me up! All this to ride? With all the places you could go within 30 minutes of Wissahickon that would be dry (even in a torrential downpoor), you sit and lament over what specific second of the day the trails might dry out. For god's sake already, get in your car and drive someplace else. Yeh, it might not be technical or hilly, but I bet you the mileage will make up for it. If you even have to think of the trail conditions, that should be enough to tell you NOT to ride them.

I will probably be riding at Wharton State Forest in NJ. It's about 20 or so miles of singletrack with a hill or two. It's only 30 minutes from Valley Green and the trails love water. The more H2O the better they get. Fast and fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    will probably be riding at Wharton State Forest in NJ. It's about 20 or so miles of singletrack with a hill or two. It's only 30 minutes from Valley Green and the trails love water. The more H2O the better they get. Fast and fun!
    never been and would love another wet weather option!

if you happen to check this, shoot me an email about when you plan to roll.

msteinbrenner AT hotmail.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You guys crack me up! All this to ride? With all the places you could go within 30 minutes of Wissahickon that would be dry (even in a torrential downpoor), you sit and lament over what specific second of the day the trails might dry out. For god's sake already, get in your car and drive someplace else. Yeh, it might not be technical or hilly, but I bet you the mileage will make up for it. If you even have to think of the trail conditions, that should be enough to tell you NOT to ride them.

I will probably be riding at Wharton State Forest in NJ. It's about 20 or so miles of singletrack with a hill or two. It's only 30 minutes from Valley Green and the trails love water. The more H2O the better they get. Fast and fun!

hey ,
    would you mind posting more info on Wharton state forest,
    is it real single track or fire roads?
    are the trails dirt,rocks,roots or sand?
    thankyou
    -grecco

Yappy little dog!

Wharton

Quote Originally Posted by grecco
    hey ,
    would you mind posting more info on Wharton state forest,
    is it real single track or fire roads?
    are the trails dirt,rocks,roots or sand?
    thankyou
    -grecco
    Now that I've sparked some interest...

Wharton State Forest is in the Pine Barrens of South Jersey. There are actually three state forests that make up almost 1,000,000 acres. Each are very similar and have a multitude of trails including singletrack, fireroads, rail trails, and fire cuts. Most of the singletrack was formed by motocross and fire cuts. It is primarily sand and loamy soil. The only rideable time is in the winter as other months make it quite soft and full of ticks and chiggers. Due to the soil composition, when it rains it makes the ground harder.

There are about 22 miles of bike freindly trail and some "other" singletrack as well at Wharton. Although I know Brendan Byrne better, I am planning a ride tomorrow at Wharton. It will start at 9:00 AM from the Atsion Ranger Station (off Route 206).

If you would like to see what the trails are like, here are some pictures from Wharton:

http://tinyurl.com/85qkq
    http://tinyurl.com/95zf4

Here is video from Brendan Byrne (the trails are very similar):

http://www.schnauzers.ws/BBTS.wmv

And this is video from Kings Grant (again very similar):

http://www.schnauzers.ws/kgfast1.wmv
    http://www.schnauzers.ws/kgfast2.wmv

I wish I could offer you climbing, but there is very little. The highest point on the trail is 220' above sea level. But, it does flow fast and singlespeeds rule here.

If you need directions or more info, shoot me an email:

mitchell at schnauzers dot ws

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yes definite interest according to mapquest though, i get

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes Total Est. Distance: 52.37 miles

they also have me on the AC Exspressway to NJ-54 North.

those dosen't seem so direct....

and unfortunately 9am is a little tough for me to defintiely commit to.

is it easier to get to from one of the bridges than mapquest seems to make it? also i found atison, nj dosen't seem to be too much there but is there a trick to finding the ranger station?

i am a definite maybe, but please don't wait up.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    yes definite interest according to mapquest though, i get

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes Total Est. Distance: 52.37 miles

they also have me on the AC Exspressway to NJ-54 North.

those dosen't seem so direct....

and unfortunately 9am is a little tough for me to defintiely commit to.

is it easier to get to from one of the bridges than mapquest seems to make it? also i found atison, nj dosen't seem to be too much there but is there a trick to finding the ranger station?

i am a definite maybe, but please don't wait up.
    I guess that depends where you are coming from. Center city is 12 miles from my house (Marlton, NJ) and Wharton is 20 minutes from my house. Route 70 into Medford, then Route 541 to 206. I get about 31 miles.

mtbr member
    Your suggestions are appreciated schnauzers. That said, the reason some (well, maybe a couple) us lament over Wissahickon, is that it is one of the few trails us plebians without vehicular transportation can access from Centre City

Yappy little dog!

That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Your suggestions are appreciated schnauzers. That said, the reason some (well, maybe a couple) us lament over Wissahickon, is that it is one of the few trails us plebians without vehicular transportation can access from Centre City
    Car pool, maybe?

I'd tell you to ride there. It's very doable on a road bike (I've done it), but it may not be so fun on a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Car pool, maybe?

I'd tell you to ride there. It's very doable on a road bike (I've done it), but it may not be so fun on a mountain bike.
    Car pooling is a good idea - we just need to be more organised (not one of my strong points)!

That's the appeal of Wissahickon, just jump on your bike and go for a ride! We are really lucky to have such a great network of trails on our doorstep.

Freshly Fujified

Good point

I guess we could ride anywhere. The whole point of getting together for the group ride was because of the concern over preserving Wiss by not riding when condistions were bad, and perhaps discouraging others who are ignorant or apathetic about the issue. Yes, we could ride somewhere else, but it would be like scheduling a New Orleans Katrina relief effort in Salt Lake City, IMO.

With that said, I'm up for a group ride wherever. This weekend unfortunately has just become shot for me.

Bob

Bob

Yappy little dog!

Start Time Now 10 Am

Wharton State Forest is in the Pine Barrens of South Jersey. There are actually three state forests that make up almost 1,000,000 acres. Each are very similar and have a multitude of trails including singletrack, fireroads, rail trails, and fire cuts. Most of the singletrack was formed by motocross and fire cuts. It is primarily sand and loamy soil. The only rideable time is in the winter as other months make it quite soft and full of ticks and chiggers. Due to the soil composition, when it rains it makes the ground harder.

There are about 22 miles of bike freindly trail and some "other" singletrack as well at Wharton. Although I know Brendan Byrne better, I am planning a ride tomorrow at Wharton. It will start at 9:00 AM from the Atsion Ranger Station (off Route 206).

If you would like to see what the trails are like, here are some pictures from Wharton:

http://tinyurl.com/85qkq

http://tinyurl.com/95zf4

Here is video from Brendan Byrne (the trails are very similar):

http://www.schnauzers.ws/BBTS.wmv

And this is video from Kings Grant (again very similar):

http://www.schnauzers.ws/kgfast1.wmv
    http://www.schnauzers.ws/kgfast2.wmv

I wish I could offer you climbing, but there is very little. The highest point on the trail is 220' above sea level. But, it does flow fast and singlespeeds rule here.

If you need directions or more info, shoot me an email:

mitchell at schnauzers dot ws

START TIME HAS BEEN CHANGED TO 10 AM TO ACCOMODATE SOME MORE OUT OF STATE RIDERS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    START TIME HAS BEEN CHANGED TO 10 AM TO ACCOMODATE SOME MORE OUT OF STATE RIDERS.

nice, but i am still out...

thanks for putting the word out though! i would love to come out to a ride out there some weekend however. i know you usually roll with the JAR group right? i subscribe to the e-mail list but other than the poker run i haven't come out for a ride.

give a shout over here the next time you guys ride there or plan another NJ ride. i would really love to come check out some of those bigger trail systems over in jersey!

today i am goin to freeze my tootsies offf at belmont. if you make it out look for me huddling under a tree for shelter from this wind....

Trail eater
    same, I want to head out today also. Im tossing up between wissa or belmont. My buddies are still in bed (slackers) so I will see which place they prefer.
    I will post back as soon as I know, otherwise what time are you heading out to belmont max-a-mill?
    I was thinking around noonish.

Trail eater

12.30 ride today

who is interested in a ride today? meet at valley green in at 12.30. let us know, three of us are thinking of heading out an would love to catch up with you folk.

Inbred Homebrewer
    who is interested in a ride today? meet at valley green in at 12.30. let us know, three of us are thinking of heading out an would love to catch up with you folk.

Awesome! I'm in!!! Gonna be niiiiice and chilly. See you guys at the Inn!

Trail eater

Good job! wissa in great shape

well stick, stymie, myself and another friend of ours braved the chilly winds and headed out to wissa and rode for almost 2hrs. The indian side was in great shape. The trails were pretty dry (most frozen too) but it made for an excellent and fast ride. Again the trails appeared to have drained well and not retained too much water. There were some parts where water had accumulated but thats a given. forbidden drive was also real dry and with the ground being frozen made the trip out there and back (center city) go real fast.

Tommorow should make for a real nice day of riding without any wind or rain. So head on out there and have some fun while it lasts

Thanks again stick for driving out and meeting us. Look forward to another ride next sat.

Freshly Fujified

Sorry I missed out

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Sunday just didn't work for me. Hoping to take a day off during the week next week (perhaps Friday the 27th) and get a ride in then and/or Saturday.

Bob

Inbred Homebrewer

Good job!

Thanks again stick for driving out and meeting us. Look forward to another ride next sat.
    My pleasure, as usual. Any interest in going to French Creek on saturday? I'll drive. Maybe we can compromise a bit? If you take the train out to Hatboro in the morning, I'll drive to FC from there. Then, after the ride, I'll drive you guys back to philly - rather than leave you waiting at the station for a train back.

FC = good fun.

btw, I tried sending you an e-mail via mtbr, but couldn't. Do me a favor and send me your e-mail addy via private message?

mtbr member

Good job! Brass Monkeys

Indeed - thanks Stick, it was a good ride, and good to see you again. Glad I persevered with the wind on West River Drive (I was spent before we even got to the park)!

French Creek sounds good - hopefully the weather will be more temperate

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anybody interested in riding Fri. Afternoon at Wiss. i think it is supposed to be decent weather. Still not sure if I'll definitley be able to make it, but there's a good chance. Looks like the best day in the near future.

mtbr member

i wouldnt mind but

Anybody interested in riding Fri. Afternoon at Wiss. i think it is supposed to be decent weather. Still not sure if I'll definitley be able to make it, but there's a good chance. Looks like the best day in the near future.
    what time are you looking to start?
    and do u mind riding with a fat slow dude? oh and that doesnt translate into i'm in prime winter training. although i'm trying to get better

Freshly Fujified

Yo Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkeith
    and do u mind riding with a fat slow dude?
    Please don't speak on my behalf

Hope to catch up with you soon, Keith. Looks like we're both headed down the same path.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    BigKeith, sorry I didn't get back to you. I was able to ride today, but I wasn't even sure what time it would be until I got there. I was running around doing a bunch of stuff this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wissahickion 1-20-06 4:30 PM

goin through in my way home from work today it seemed the wiss was still pretty wet and muddy.

this extreme warmth has really brought a lot of moisture out of the soil it seems...

it would probably be nice not to ride wiss all weekend to let it dry out buty i know tons of knuckleheads will go out tomorrow anyways.

i might try it on sunday but i bet it will still be a mess in spots.

i'll probably do some limited belmont action (the mud might even be bad down low over there) tomorrow if i can dodge the housework bullet. if anyone is up for checkin it out tomorrow post up here i am thinking 10am maybe?

also, anyone konw how pennypack does in these conditions?

mtbr member

belmont is fine

Was out at belmont today 1-20-06, the trail are in very good condition. Very little mud.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill

also, anyone konw how pennypack does in these conditions?
    Pennypack is a mixed bag. Some trails drain fast (roughly the same as Wissahickon) while others (particularly some of the lesser-known singletrack sections) stay a thick, sloppy sort of mud that's almost unrideable when going uphill for a long time.

If wissahickon is bad, it's a safe bet that Pennypack is too.
    Last edited by Stick; 01-20-2006 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member

its ok i got sick

BigKeith, sorry I didn't get back to you. I was able to ride today, but I wasn't even sure what time it would be until I got there. I was running around doing a bunch of stuff this afternoon.
    right after i posted yesterday i started getting all groggy and ichy throat. i been sleep since noon today.

mtbr member

Pennypack

I was at Pennypack last Thursday a week. Took the dirt trail on the north side of the creek and found some muddy spots but nothing that would hurt the trail since it floods frequently anyway. Had a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Pennypack is a mixed bag. Some trails drain fast (roughly the same as Wissahickon) while others (particularly some of the lesser-known singlestrack sections) stay a thick, sloppy sort of mud that's almost unrideable when going uphill for a long time.

If wissahickon is bad, it's a safe bet that Pennypack is too.

Members who have read this thread: 0