Boyce park- Mtbr.com

Thread: Boyce park

Penny's my cow-cat

Cool-blue Rhythm Boyce park

I'll be heading home in a couple of weeks (hee haw) to the Plum, Pgh area and I was wondering if they have any freeriding/new trails at Boyce park? The last time I was home (about 5 years ago) I was really surprised at all the new fun trails that were build in my absence. But on the other hand I was a bit worried that Boyce was turning into a spiders web.

My Dad told me all about the Mine fires and a bunch of trees that were cut down, but I heard they didn't destroy too many trails thank god.

Anyway, I really look forward to going home and riding at Boyce and probably head out to North/South park and even Hartwood acres too.

Next problem, Do I bring my main ride: Intense 5.5 or my back up/practice bike: Cannondale Jekyll hummm.

I wonder how many Vinny pies I can eat in 10 days.

Cheers.
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i dont know about boyce, but frick and s.park have some new stuff built. i dont think there are to many trails that i would consider "freeride", i ride there on my SS s.cruz and do just fine

oh, and ahhhh

WELCOME HOME!

Nice no rass
    I just rode BP for the 1st time this weekend. I know when I moved here 8 years ago there were not nearly as many trails in the entire area as there are now. There are TONS at BP. Pretty fun area.

The only downside is nobody seems to know what trails go where. Most are colored, but not even the park office knows what color goes where, lol. They claim they are going to do a new GPS map...it's in the works, so who knows how long that will take.

If anyone has mapped out trails by color I'd love to hear about it. We started at the soccer field and dropped in on the Yellow Log Cabin Trail all the way to the cabin, coming back took a red route (no idea what is it other than red) that brought us out on Pearson Run Rd. just below where we parked, so it worked out well.

Penny's my cow-cat

Cool-blue Rhythm BP soccer field

Yeah, I usually start at the soccer field too, but for me I don't really care what trail I'm on. The parks area is not so big, where ever I pop out is never to far from my car plus I know the area like the back of my hand. Which is the real beauty of Boyce, you can get maybe 3 or more hour's of fun riding in and never be to far from your car. I'll be there in 9 days but who's counting, ME!

Nice no rass
    Yeah, BP's size is nice that way...no matter where you go you're probably no more than a mile via road back to your car. Everything really funnels back down to Pearson rd, so go downhill til you get there.

I was just curious if any regs there had had some specific loops worked out using the trail colors? Of course I'm not sure if any of those colors even mean anything. We dropped in on yellow and about 1/2 way in the trees were marked red and yellow, so coming back out we rode red thinking it would connect back with the yellow trail and return us to where we started...nope, we finished on red but not the same red that mixed with yellow when we came in. Kind of confusing, lol.

Penny's my cow-cat

Colors

There were no colors for the trails last time I was home, they had names like old cabin trail (I think) but something like that. But I'm from the area so I'm used to streets without names or roads with names but people call it a different name for example Cox comb hill near East Oakmont. I still don't know the 'real' name of that road.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm actually coming to the Burg this weekend and looking for a crew to meet up with for a ride on Saturday. I'm bringing my SS and FS just in case. I downloaded a GPS map of Boyce in case I can't find anyone but I'll travel anywhere in the 3 rivers area if need be. It's been quite a few years since I've lived in that area. Is Boyce a good SS area?

ddmarki at yahoo dot com

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Better idea! Roaring Run in Apollo!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy-jeff
    I'll be heading home in a couple of weeks (hee haw) to the Plum, Pgh area and I was wondering if they have any freeriding/new trails at Boyce park? The last time I was home (about 5 years ago) I was really surprised at all the new fun trails that were build in my absence. But on the other hand I was a bit worried that Boyce was turning into a spiders web.

My Dad told me all about the Mine fires and a bunch of trees that were cut down, but I heard they didn't destroy too many trails thank god.

Anyway, I really look forward to going home and riding at Boyce and probably head out to North/South park and even Hartwood acres too.

Next problem, Do I bring my main ride: Intense 5.5 or my back up/practice bike: Cannondale Jekyll hummm.

I wonder how many Vinny pies I can eat in 10 days.

Cheers.

If you want some fun trails that are technically challenging and will put your Intense through it's paces, go to Roaring Run in Apollo. It is only about 20 minutes away from Boyce and is super easy to find. Lots of rocks, killer climbs and lots of steep chutes etc. Great trails w/really cool views of several waterfalls and overviews of the Kiski river!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailVictim
    I'm actually coming to the Burg this weekend and looking for a crew to meet up with for a ride on Saturday. I'm bringing my SS and FS just in case. I downloaded a GPS map of Boyce in case I can't find anyone but I'll travel anywhere in the 3 rivers area if need be. It's been quite a few years since I've lived in that area. Is Boyce a good SS area?

ddmarki at yahoo dot com

You should be able to ride most of the trails at Boyce on a SS without any problems. Most of the trails are relatively flat and there arent many steep hills.

Members who have read this thread: 0