Blue Mountain Memorial Day- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Blue Mountain Memorial Day

I have Monday off so I was thinking about doing some DH. Blue Mountain is open 10-5. Who wants to meet up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    considering it. I think I'll be making the drive to Mtn Creek on Saturday, so we'll see how I feel. I'll write back if I decide to go.

mtbr member
    I'm going on Sunday.

mtbr member
    I could do Sunday and Monday.

mtbr member
    It'll be my first time there. Anyone have any tips?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Xios575 View Post
    First time there or first time DH or both?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    First time there or first time DH or both?
    I've skied there but my first time DH anywhere.

Chilling out
    I've skied there but my first time DH anywhere.
    Not knowing your background, but i'm guessing since your ride a 575 you're not a buff-trail-xc-kind-of-rider and have some experience getting your tires off the ground, i'd contribute some general comments like this

- rent a dh bike, save the pounding of your 575 the first time around. particularly the brakes. DH oriented brakes with 8" rotors are a different class than trail-bike brakes. Some experienced riders are using stuff like XT and XTR Trail instead of DH brakes like Saint or Zee or whatnot but I do not advise that for a first timer as you're going to want to heavily moderate your speed until you get the feel of how things work. Just like on snow, speed builds quickly. Sometimes too quickly.

- rent/borrow/wear full protective gear. You're likely going down a few times on your first time out. I always wear at least helmet, elbow, knee guards, and full-finger gloves.

- work the mountain west to east, that's the general progression of severity - note the word *general* as there are "clench" moments on most trails

- do not launch any dirt or drop or feature without scoping it out before-hand. Landing areas vary in how to handle them. Rocks move. Trail crud is. Some landing transitions are easy to over-shoot.

- Chainsaw and King Tut (western side) are two of my favorites and a lot of fun, with a few finish options for variety. Beware of projecting rocks the size of Smart Cars on the lower sections though, easy to clip a handlebar or knee or hip.

- Moto and OCS (eastern side, lower) are probably the most-rock-gnar-natural sections, steep and rocky. very easy to endo. Formula is less steep but still steep enough to be fast. The rock drop entering the second part of OCS can NOT be rolled, it must be dropped. There is a go-around you can use the first time (?) to scope it out though, safely.

- Ewok Village (towards bottom, visible to east from lift) is a fun jump line BUT be wary of DH bikes on it as the suspension can easily have you pitched wacky, some of the 'tables' are very short and steep. Feels more built towards DJ bikes than DH bike and assumes commensurate skills. All 'tables' are rollable though.

- Empire (eastern-most) is an excellent example of worked Free-Ride trail, not rocky, but pain could be large if you screw up on one of the features. Not all features can be rolled, some must be dropped/jumped. There are go-arounds though so you can scope it out without putting yourself in the e-room.

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks so much for the info.

I come from a background of BMX/Freestyle in the 80s/90s then transitioned to MTB. I've basically just ridden my local trails in Pennypack and Wiss. I'm certainly comfortable getting my wheels off the ground but don't plan on getting out of control. I'm a 42yr old married father of two and I'm sure they'd like to see me come home in one piece.

I see your point of renting but right now I plan on using the 575. I do have upgraded rotors and new pads. I already have a full face helmet, gloves, jersey. I may invest in knee/elbow pads before actually heading out. Do they rent pads or is there a shop you recommend in the area to buy them? I'll be coming from the Philly area.

I've watched a bunch of the YouTube clips of the park so I have a general idea of what to expect. I'll definitely scope out all the trails before hitting anything with any significant speed. Thanks again for detailed descriptions of the various trails.

mtbr member
    I will see you guys on Sunday. I'll be on a blue Nomad.

Chilling out
    Xios, they have stuff to rent. Long term Jenson USA has had a sale going on THE knee and elbow pads for 20$ a pair, hard to beat.

I'm a nutty 50-dead guys who refuses to stop riding fun stuff, but I respect your awareness of your obligations. Fortunately my gal supports my craziness, and we have no kids. Just cats. Not the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Xios...I ride locally in the Wis and PP and NHS. I am also considering going to Blue for a try. How did you find the riding compared to our local scene?

Also, I thought the mountain was only open on the weekends. It's also open during the week?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    Xios...I ride locally in the Wis and PP and NHS. I am also considering going to Blue for a try. How did you find the riding compared to our local scene?

Also, I thought the mountain was only open on the weekends. It's also open during the week?
    #1....Bear's post was spot on. #2....Short answer from a first timer to a first timer, full face helmet and body armor or significant protection, is a must. You will most likely eat it at least once. I did, and it ended my day after my 5th run. Ended up in the ER and haven't been able to ride since. Hope to be back out locally this weekend. I'll try to post the pics and video tomorrow.

Chilling out
    Xios, sorry to see you got hurt. Heal fast, heal right, good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I popped my Blue cherry this past Saturday.

Things were a bit altered due to the Enduro practice going on.

I was also on a 575. And Bear's assessment of the brake requirements was spot on...I was wishing for larger rotors and maybe a zee up front.
    I did have some enduro-type heavy tires, which are a minimal requirement.
    Definitely felt under biked.

Fortunately, I made it through uninjured. I would definitely like to go back. It was a blast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post

It was open Monday for the holiday. It's usually open Saturday and Sunday and on certain holidays.

If you are going as a one time thing I'd suggest renting a bike. Never rode Wis seen pictures and what not. Blue is going to have fast flow but it's going down in a hurry. Got a few trails that are fairly "flat" but remember you are going down a ski slope.

If you do go take it easy for the first couple runs. Stop to the side if you have any concerns or issues and walk it out if you do not feel comfortable. When you get off the lift try the right side of the mountain first as you exit the lift. Again the mountain flows back and forth so eventually you hit steeper stuff, drops, rocks, etc.

I agree with bear on his post. I ride with 160 brakes and my first time there I got the brake fade going and wrecked a few times. Just take it as easy as you can. It is different from xc stuff. Fast steep and rocky.

edit: I believe they have guides as well you can pay for. Maybe that would be a good option they can give you a good feel for the mountain and help out

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ParrotHead87 View Post
    It was open Monday for the holiday. It's usually open Saturday and Sunday and on certain holidays.

If you are going as a one time thing I'd suggest renting a bike. Never rode Wis seen pictures and what not. Blue is going to have fast flow but it's going down in a hurry. Got a few trails that are fairly "flat" but remember you are going down a ski slope.

If you do go take it easy for the first couple runs. Stop to the side if you have any concerns or issues and walk it out if you do not feel comfortable. When you get off the lift try the right side of the mountain first as you exit the lift. Again the mountain flows back and forth so eventually you hit steeper stuff, drops, rocks, etc.

I agree with bear on his post. I ride with 160 brakes and my first time there I got the brake fade going and wrecked a few times. Just take it as easy as you can. It is different from xc stuff. Fast steep and rocky.

edit: I believe they have guides as well you can pay for. Maybe that would be a good option they can give you a good feel for the mountain and help out
    Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your injury Xios. Heal quickly.

I plan to rent a bike. I ride a 2014 Sight. I'll need more bike for Blue. I've been skiing there for over 10 years so I am familiar with the mountain.

I have G-force elbow and knee pads and a full face lid. I think that'll be enough. I might bring my kid's chest protector if it'll fit.

Again, great info here. Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Taa daaaa!!!

Like I said, thank god for the full face. You can't see it too well in the picture but the lens on my goggles was damaged pretty good too so I can imagine what would have happened if I had not been wearing them. The black and blue mark is my upper thigh.

Blue Mountain Memorial Day-fullsizerender.jpgBlue Mountain Memorial Day-img_4267.jpgBlue Mountain Memorial Day-img_4276.jpg

Chilling out
    Nice job. I crashed once at Mtn Creek, failed to clear a double and landed on my head. Rock gouged helmet from above my temple in one cut all the way down the side of the chin guard ... All the way into the foam core. I shudder to think what I would have looked like without the helm. I was lucky to only have a concussion and eight hours of memory loss.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice Xios! Your thigh looks similar to what my side looked like a month ago. Though not as bad as Danny Hart after last weekend (at Speedster in Leogang, Austria - photo by davetrump - Pinkbike). When I started riding DH I learned that falling happens quicker and harder. It's all part of the game, I still push myself though because the benefit outweighs the risk (so far). If you'll be riding DH alot, I'd invest in a neck brace too

FYI, I'll be at blue this Sunday on a white Morewood Izimu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post

Some landing transitions are easy to over-shoot.

- Ewok Village (towards bottom, visible to east from lift) is a fun jump line BUT be wary of DH bikes on it as the suspension can easily have you pitched wacky, some of the 'tables' are very short and steep. Feels more built towards DJ bikes than DH bike and assumes commensurate skills. All 'tables' are rollable though.
    Hm. Wish I read this before the race a few weeks back haha. Hit blue for the first time in my practice run on Sat for the race on Sunday. The tables in Ewok were a little different at race pace. Way overshot a landing, ate it, and ended up with a broken collarbone.

Aside from that, it is an awesome place to ride. Just wish I didn't have to wait so long to go back

Chilling out
    oh, geeze, CP, sorry to hear that.

but you will heal.

i've a friend who did that very crash free-riding and tore a muscle off the top of his shoulder, never the same since.